Jim, Jim, Jim...

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

So getting HIV or AIDS is a behavioural fault??

Nowadays...yeah, actually.  It's not like the blood supply isn't safe now (side note: I believe CA also passed a law saying HIV-positive people don't have to declare it at blood donations).  You either have to be shooting up with a used needle or having unprotected sex to get it, or be careless in a lab/hospital setting and stick yourself.  

Those are pretty much all behaviors.  Hemophiliacs aren't getting infections from Factor VIII treatments these days.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Nowadays...yeah, actually.  It's not like the blood supply isn't safe now (side note: I believe CA also passed a law saying HIV-positive people don't have to declare it at blood donations).  You either have to be shooting up with a used needle or having unprotected sex to get it, or be careless in a lab/hospital setting and stick yourself.  

Those are pretty much all behaviors.  Hemophiliacs aren't getting infections from Factor VIII treatments these days.

Fair answer....

I was waiting for Comment to answer, it’s a very very hedged question over the last 3 decades......

Just now, row_33 said:

Fair answer....

I was waiting for Comment to answer, it’s a very very hedged question over the last 3 decades......

Because three decades ago, too many people were too damned stupid to distinguish between "behavior" and "disease."  So you ended up with an extraordinarily toxic situation where some people held on to dangerous behaviors that gave them a sense of identity (e.g. massive amounts of unprotected homosexual encounters) because they refused to be "oppressed" by being told that their behavior transmits disease, and others held on to dangerous beliefs that the disease was caused by behavior (specifically: gay behavior), and could thus be cured by changing behavior - which, tell that to a hemophiliac, or a blood recipient, or the wife of a closeted gay man, or a newborn of an IV drug user...

We've never really recovered from that shitstorm of idiocy - the belief that a virus gives a **** about your behavior either way.  Give it a path to infection, it'll infect you.  It doesn't care if you're gay, straight, male, female, Haitian, having an operation, at the dentist...

CA's justification for that law is idiocy on a whole 'nother level, too: HIV treatments are expensive.  It costs a hell of a lot of money to make an HIV infection "not so bad" these days.  And the same geniuses who wrote and passed this law are the nimrods who keep whining about driving down health care costs.  :wallbash:

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

So getting HIV or AIDS is a behavioural fault??

My answer would be yes, with one or two exception. 

These exceptions are

HIV is what we call a retrovirus/reverse transcription virus 

so simply put it makes a copy of itself into your DNA. So any offspring afterwards could be infected. 

It it would be the parents behavior fault not the offsprings. 

Another case would be in the hospital, myself or one of the phlebotomist could accidentally prick ourselves by accident when drawing blood, the viral load would be small, but it could happen. 

One more exception is in bloodbanking department, for transfusion but it’s so rare something that big would be missed I wouldn’t include it.

1 minute ago, Commsvet11 said:

My answer would be yes, with one or two exception. 

These exceptions are

HIV is what we call a retrovirus/reverse transcription virus 

so simply put it makes a copy of itself into your DNA. So any offspring afterwards could be infected. 

It it would be the parents behavior fault not the offsprings. 

HIV doesn't "make a copy of itself in your DNA."  It injects copies of DNA into the gene sequence of T-Cells with CD4 receptors.  It doesn't do it to any other cells, and certainly not germ cells.  So it can't be passed on genetically.   "Offspring" don't get it.

Babies can get it, from their mother.  But they often don't, because the placental barrier is, at best, only semi-permeable to maternal cells (including CD4 T-cells.)  It's certainly not part of the baby's genome.  It's actually been something of a mystery, the past three decades, as to why HIV doesn't cross the placental barrier easily.

11 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

Another case would be in the hospital, myself or one of the phlebotomist could accidentally prick ourselves by accident when drawing blood, the viral load would be small, but it could happen. 

Carelessness is a behavior.

This sounds to me like a sneaky way to reign-in their undocumented alien crisis - sure, you're welcome here, but don't blame us if you get an unpronounceable disease that morphs your genitalia into something that looks like an eggplant festooned with weeping pustules.

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

HIV doesn't "make a copy of itself in your DNA."  It injects copies of DNA into the gene sequence of T-Cells with CD4 receptors.  It doesn't do it to any other cells, and certainly not germ cells.  So it can't be passed on genetically.   "Offspring" don't get it.

Babies can get it, from their mother.  But they often don't, because the placental barrier is, at best, only semi-permeable to maternal cells (including CD4 T-cells.)  It's certainly not part of the baby's genome.  It's actually been something of a mystery, the past three decades, as to why HIV doesn't cross the placental barrier easily.

Carelessness is a behavior.

Yeah your correct, that’s my bad, most likely transmission would be breastfeeding or if there wasn’t a C-section done. That was stupid of me. 

And I agree carelessness is behavior but those things do happen.

3 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

Yeah your correct, that’s my bad, most likely transmission would be breastfeeding or if there wasn’t a C-section done. That was stupid of me. 

And I agree carelessness is behavior but those things do happen.

I'm not even sure breastfeeding does it, but I've never seen a study either way.  I always read the "most likely cause" in normal births was fluid aspiration or ingestion.  Don't know if they ever resolved it, though - once the research passed from epidemiology to to microbiology, I stopped following too closely.

Just now, DC Tom said:

I'm not even sure breastfeeding does it, but I've never seen a study either way.  I always read the "most likely cause" in normal births was fluid aspiration or ingestion.  Don't know if they ever resolved it, though - once the research passed from epidemiology to to microbiology, I stopped following too closely.

My main department is chemistry, I’m not in a research lab, so all I do is report the results. I do enjoy conversations like these, societal issues that have medical implications, and conversations like today remind me to brush up on some theory I may have forgotten along the way, cheers to you.

4 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Good thing they legalized weed.

Clears the system of all STD's according to the latest internet research.

I once contracted gonorsyphilherpaids from this scabby prostitute. One whiff of second-hand pot smoke on my death bed instantly cured me, made me more attractive, improved my bank account by several decimal places, and left a sports car in my driveway.

It truly is a miraculous plant.

30 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Good thing they legalized weed.

Clears the system of all STD's according to the latest internet research.

and you can fly

high as a kite

if you want to

50 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I once contracted gonorsyphilherpaids from this scabby prostitute. One whiff of second-hand pot smoke on my death bed instantly cured me, made me more attractive, improved my bank account by several decimal places, and left a sports car in my driveway.

Pretty sure one of those is a lie.

• Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I told you to not get that close to gator.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/16/2018 at 9:55 AM, Koko78 said:

NYC is having water purification issues due to the fecal parasites entering the water system that they believe are coming from analingus. Read it in a waste resource paper a while back. 

3 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

Only 1 of the people in that picture looks upset about ED.

Cuz the wife is coming to me.  3 married women on my roster right now

23 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Cuz the wife is coming to me.  3 married women on my roster right now

That's a very dangerous game.  One that often puts a person on the wrong end of shotgun.

There are two things in life you don't mess with:  a man's wife and his paycheck.  Doing either often proves fatal.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

That's a very dangerous game.  One that often puts a person on the wrong end of shotgun.

There are two things in life you don't mess with:  a man's wife and his paycheck.  Doing either often proves fatal.

It's punishable by a fine in NC. And one of the girls husband's is a special forces commander...sooo...