Accuracy vs. precision

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Yes. His practice tape wasn't that good though, got better as the week went on. I don't take much from the game itself. 

Can fans, media, front office, and coaches be patient with Allen? That's the biggest question. One thing for sure is Pegula, Beane, and and McDermott picked this QB. So I don't think we will see coaches and management clash over Josh Allen like we did with JP Losman and EJ Manuel. Everyone will be committed to Allen unlike past 1st round QB's. 

I would really like to see the bills be patient with Allen and not call to start him right away......maybe later in the season let the kid hold the clipboard and soak it in for a bit.

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I may be overly negative but I don't want people to rush this kid. He needs to sit all of 2018. The biggest reason being the Bills offense is terrible. 

I agree that they should not rush him but let him show when he is ready to start. Maybe it will be in preseason, half way through the season, or next season. If he is as smart and competitive as reported then I think it will be sooner than later. That being said, he will make mistakes and throw INT's. I think the fan base will jump on him for not being ready until he gets through the learning curve that only comes when he is on the field. 

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I would really like to see the bills be patient with Allen and not call to start him right away......maybe later in the season let the kid hold the clipboard and soak it in for a bit.

Watch from 4:30 on. These guys are big Josh Allen supporters but listen to Dilfer. 

22 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The games where his teammates were completely overwhelmed? Not great examples.

He's going to see much higher level of competition than at those two games, where he clearly got rattled.  Granted his supporting cast will be better as well, he'll have to fix his reckless plays. 

Watching his film reinforces the view that he's still a project.  You don't know how the porous protection has played into his muscle memory to bail on the pocket at the earliest sign of trouble.  I don't think he'll be able to shed NFL pass rushers with the same ease that he did with lesser competition.  His strong arm was his safety valve and I'm guessing that will be his first instinct in the NFL too, which he will need to break.

Again, I don't think that he's doomed from the start, just that many people have been focused on the wrong concerns of his game.

47 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The games where his teammates were completely overwhelmed? Not great examples.

I actually thought he looked good in this game. Now I haven't seen the whole thing so there may be some context to his performance I'm not getting but to your point: his guys were going backwards on EVERY play...it was very obvious how overmatched his WRs and RBs, not to mention offensive line, were against Iowa. 

However, I thought he displayed decent poise in the pocket, bailed early twice that I saw but otherwise stuck to the script. He looks very comfortable in play action and the narrative that he's not accurate on the move wasn't on display here. There were some throws on the out routes in particular that were NFL quality for sure. The two picks at the end were the result of bad decision making/trying to do too much, not accuracy-related. 

Highlights:

Throw @ 0:22. !@#$ing cannon

Throw @ 1:03. Not a lot of QBs with the size/strength combination to both see that play and deliver the ball to move the chains.

Throw @ 3:03. Solid play fake, then delivers a 50 yard strike that his physically overwhelmed WR can't come down with. 

Throw @ 4:03. Does a good job avoiding pressure, steps up into the pocket, and then...#14 was having a rough day.

Throw @ 4:31. Comes off his primary, identifies the mismatch with the LB, hits #26 on 3rd and 9 for a first. Good recognition.

The more you watch of Allen the more impressed you have to be with his athleticism. He is the guy they invented the phrase 'arm talent' for. He's definitely raw, but in a good way. He's going to be (with the exception of Cam Newton) unmatched physically in the NFL at his position.

22 minutes ago, GG said:

He's going to see much higher level of competition than at those two games, where he clearly got rattled.  Granted his supporting cast will be better as well, he'll have to fix his reckless plays. 

Watching his film reinforces the view that he's still a project.  You don't know how the porous protection has played into his muscle memory to bail on the pocket at the earliest sign of trouble.  I don't think he'll be able to shed NFL pass rushers with the same ease that he did with lesser competition.  His strong arm was his safety valve and I'm guessing that will be his first instinct in the NFL too, which he will need to break.

Again, I don't think that he's doomed from the start, just that many people have been focused on the wrong concerns of his game.

Here's evidence that he does not "bail on the pocket at the earliest sign of trouble." He finds the space within the pocket, keeping his eyes downfield, and makes the accurate throw for the easy touchdown.

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Yes. His practice tape wasn't that good though, got better as the week went on. I don't take much from the game itself. 

Can fans, media, front office, and coaches be patient with Allen? That's the biggest question. One thing for sure is Pegula, Beane, and and McDermott picked this QB. So I don't think we will see coaches and management clash over Josh Allen like we did with JP Losman and EJ Manuel. Everyone will be committed to Allen unlike past 1st round QB's. 

I think this is huge and a great point.  You knew that Marrone was not happy with EJ - things came out right away and that was not the guy they wanted running the offense.  Marrone/Hackett wanted to run an up-tempo offense and that is what they were installing all off season and into the preseason.  

When they had had to go with EJ they had to redefine the entire offense and it created a riff between the coaching staff and the front office.

In this case the GM and the HC are working in unison and will both work to support Josh and try to build him up long term and therefore there will be more buy-in from all of the coaching staff to ensure this is a success.  

I am hoping that this buy-in and the work ethic brings about growth and development and we have ourselves a winner.

this offseason gets longer and longer.

I need to see him play some NFL games unitl then I don't care what I saw or what i heard, or even what I think.... Proof is in the pudding, and pudding is where the babies come from, so I want to see the baby

58 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Here's evidence that he does not "bail on the pocket at the earliest sign of trouble." He finds the space within the pocket, keeping his eyes downfield, and makes the accurate throw for the easy touchdown.

You make it sound like I'm the only one who thinks that Allen is skittish in the pocket.  I don't blame him for not trusting his protection, but don't pretend that there isn't an issue with that part of his game.