How Does The Reaction to Josh Allen Compare To JP Losman and EJ Manuel?

5 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Both QBs were initially accepted as "about time the team drafted a QB". 

The problem was looking at the regimes both were drafted into as I highly doubt any QBs drafted could succeed in Buffalo with the morons in charge during those times!  The crappy coaching staffs, the bad schemes, the bad offensive lines all started right after the team fired a good GM in John Butler.

Tom Donahoe traded for Drew Bledsoe and attempted to draft an LT to upgrade the offensive line and yet while the intentions were good and in the right spot, he failed in that pick because of bad scouting. Bledsoe was a brilliant passer when protected and a disaster when under pressure. Needless to say, that bad offensive line kept happening year after year.

JP briefly looked good in 2006 but the lack of quality coaching, offensive scheme, lack of a decent offensive line ultimately did him in that as time went on he was seeing, hearing phantom sackers.

EJ had mostly the same problems only more pronounced considering he had no QB coach, no veteran QB and the only guy teaching him in his rookie year was an OC who had never been an NFL OC. No QB could develop under those conditions. 

Trent Edwards, speaking of bad offensive lines. Edwards was concussed right out of the NFL.

Bottom line here is the majority of this fan base wanted the frail, fragile but slick QB in Josh Rosen and are upset the Bills drafted Allen. Currently, the Bills have three young QB's on the roster just like they did in 2013 except AJ has some good bench experience. I'm very concerned about the offensive coaching in developing Allen, Peterman and that hot garbage offensive line. I only hope to god that Allen doesn't get thrown into the fire this year. Or, the end result might be what we all saw with JP, EJ, TE. 

Allen is the best pick because he'll be able to elude tacklers and create play where none exist.  Lets just hope he develops a pocket game so his career isn't cut short from getting pounded.

Edited by B-Large

I commented on the feelings about JP and EJ as I was there.  But agree on the idea of referring to the Allen "debacle" as absurd and childish.  These kinds of threads are started by the same type of people who get pissed if the drive thru doesn't get them their Happy Meal in less than a minute.  And God help them if the toy isn't inside.  Absolutely no sense of patience or any sense of reality.

Besides, I can remember the day Lamonica got traded.  That was a real debacle.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

The most laughable comparisons ever.

Allen is LIGHT YEARS the better prospect that Manuel and Losman ever could dream of being.

Losman and Manuel were also tremendous draft reaches. Allen is not.

Bills fans who are scared of Allen are scared of him because of the failings of Losman and Manuel. Allen is COMPLETELY different.

The talent level alone is no comparison whatsoever and the fact that Allen knows the X's O's of the QB position at 22 years old is mighty impressive.

I will be surprised if Allen isn't the day one starter. 

McDermott has a strong commitment to defense and the running and that will only help Allen.

I agree that McDermott will have a strong commitment to defense. It will be a great asset to Allen. My only concern is the offense around Allen. McD and Daboll are likely run first type coaches, but a weak offensive line with a 30 year old back does set off some alarms imo. I’m not convinced that this team is built to be a great running team. 

I've lived through all of them. Even Rob Johnson. This was worse in my book because the expectation was so high. EJ we knew was flawed and the quote on quote slow eyes comment really bothered us. JP was an intriguing and we were excited about moving up for him,  but that quickly died. This time around there was such excitement building up around this pick, that for those who really didn't care for Allen, the dissapointment was huge. Is what it is. 

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I commented on the feelings about JP and EJ as I was there.  But agree on the idea of referring to the Allen "debacle" as absurd and childish.  These kinds of threads are started by the same type of people who get pissed if the drive thru doesn't get them their Happy Meal in less than a minute.  And God help them if the toy isn't inside.  Absolutely no sense of patience or any sense of reality.

Besides, I can remember the day Lamonica got traded.  That was a real debacle.

'twas

I remembers thinking that at least we got an extra pick in the trade back before taking EJ.  Still wasn’t a fan of him as a prospect.  High bust potential and not a great ceiling. 

Was not a big fan of the fairly expensive trade up for Allen and am not a big fan of him as a prospect, mainly because he has such a high bust potential.  But at least he has a very high ceiling and we didn’t give up any future picks.  McBean swung for the fences with him and we will just have to hope for the best.  Not much else to do at this point. 

I was pissed the night EJ was drafted, I felt the same when Allen was drafted.

I was pissed when we didn't get Roethlisberger because Donahoe sucked, however, I had no feeling on what Losman was, I foolishly gave him a chance.

Edited by Rosen-not-Chosen