Draft prediction accountability thread

Now that it's over....time to own up to what I said...(and take a little credit too) Here is my post from March 21st in one of the threads here....I really never much wavered from these...I posted this very same thing in many threads on this board....here it is for all to see...and for me to admit where I was wrong, and where I wasn't.  Post draft comments are in bold.

My 2 cents.  

1. Cleveland will take a QB.  Not like anyone should pat themselves on the back for calling the obvious, but some here did think Barkley would go. no.1

2.  NY will  take a QB.  They will do their due dilligence and field calls, but really they will stay where they are.  The reality is, the 2019 Draft Class is going to be one of those years where ZERO QB's are drafted in round 1.  It's that bad.  The QB's coming out next year SUCK.  The crop of potential QB free agents next year...SUCKS...compared to the bounty available this crazy offseason.  Eli SUCKS....at this point.  He wants to retire a Giant.  I can see him accepting his mortality a bit better if he gets to finish as the mentor to his chosen successor (and not benched for Geno Smith)  The Giants have considered all this.  The most value they can muster from the 2nd overall pick....is to use it themselves.  ROSEN.  I was WRONG.  I still the Giants are going to regret this.  

3.  The Jets will take a QB.  Consider the situation in New York...they have a GM and a HC who are on short leashes.  They DO NOT HAVE TIME to wait for Darnold or even worse, Josh Allen to develop.   They moved up here to insure themselves Baker Mayfield.  He will be ready to go day 1.  He has had a billion college reps, he got better each year, he has a high completion pct.  He is a big name.  He has a Heisman.  He is a charachter.  He has JETS written all over him.  ...and again...can't stress enough, he is ready to go day 1.  The staff needs results sooner rather than later.  I didn't think it would end up being Darnold...given the scenario that played out, if he didn't go 1, I was sure he would go 2.  I was only right that this was for a QB, but that was obvious the moment they traded to 3.  

4.  Cleveland will take someone here not named Saquan Barkley.  .....That front office just signed Carlos Hyde to good money, he is a Buckeye, and they have Duke Johnson, who has been one of their better players as the 3rd down guy on the roster.  The same front office has a long history of not valuing RB high in the draft...and this one is full of RB....they can get a good one later, if they even think they need another one.  We'll never really know if they would have taken Barkley here if were available.  I don't think the pick would have been different...still would have been Ward.

5.  Denver.  No reason to be scared of these guys taking a QB....and not just becasue they signed Keenum....but consider they did sign him..to starter money.  The coaching staff has been told publicly they have THIS YEAR to produce results.  The Broncos still have a first round QB on the roster that Elway seems to have wiffed on, but he was supposed to be a 2-3 year project coming out.  They re-upped their two WR.  They are in win now mode with a coaching staff in win now mode...they simply aren't set up to draft their next QB...this staff isn't going to be around for that....they either win with Keenum or they are done and Denver will then go into rebuild mode.  They will take the Guard from ND.  Day one pro bowl starter at a position they need desperately.  Rosen, Allen, Jackson...all on the board here...and they passed....and if Chubb hadn't been here, they would have traded out they said.  They weren't ever in the QB market.  

6.  Colts.  ...Buffalo could have offered them more than the Jets and I bet they did offer more....but as has been mentioned...Colts understand how this is playing out and at worst they will end up with the 3rd Best NON QB picking here.  They will stay put.  Yep.

7 bucs....another great NON QB player they like here.  Barkley is my guess.  I called the Bills trade up for Allen...I just didn't quite get the spot right..thought it would be at 9.

8. Bears.  Spent heavily on offense in FA...take Davenport.  Davenport went at 14...Bears went with very good and very safe Roquan Smith.  

9.  49ers.  This is where the action will be on draft night for Arizona, and Buffalo if they want something still on the QB board.  I am guessing Josh Allen, Jackson and Mason Rudolph are what is left.  Here is where the Bills move because Arizona will be trying to get up here too...and the Bills get Josh Allen.  Again...i called the Bills to trade up for Allen...missed the pick by 2 spots.  

Miami is not a threat to move up.  They quietly restructured Tannehill a couple weeks ago...and parting ways with him will be cap hell the next 2 seasons.  They also resigned David Fales... It can't be said with 100% certainty that they would have passed Rosen if he fall to them, but they certainly didn't make an effort to move up for him...took M Fitz...Tannehill is still their guy..and I think he always was going to be.

Watch out for San Diego and Pittsburg moving up to that 9 spot for Allen...and if they don't get that...both are major candidates to move around trying to get Rudolph.  LOL....well Rudolph did end up in Pittsburg.  

I do not think Jackson will go round 1.  ....but he did....barely...so I was WRONG.

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3 Mayfield

9. Allen (to Buffalo)  Trade with 49ers  Perhaps my best call of this whole thing...made a whole month out with everything in flux.

I will be taking a break from this place for a while...it's been great fun talking draft and QB's with all of you.  This is my favorite place to come and talk football....can't emphasize enough the stark contrast of this place vs. other teams (including my own Chiefs) boards.  Smart fans, who post well thought out topics and interesting comments.  When the season starts, I'll be back again (if you'll have me) to see how Allen is doing, and of course to remind everyone how great Mahomes is every once in a while.  I hope ultimately the trade is looked back upon by all parties as a good thing for everyone involved.  I hadn't been a Bills fan before, but I'll be rooting for you on Sundays that you don't play the Chiefs and hoping that Allen turns into the QB you hope for and deserve.  Best Regards.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Now that it's over....time to own up to what I said...(and take a little credit too) Here is my post from March 21st in one of the threads here....I really never much wavered from these...I posted this very same thing in many threads on this board....here it is for all to see...and for me to admit where I was wrong, and where I wasn't.  Post draft comments are in bold.

My 2 cents.  

1. Cleveland will take a QB.  Not like anyone should pat themselves on the back for calling the obvious, but some here did think Barkley would go. no.1

2.  NY will  take a QB. (..) The most value they can muster from the 2nd overall pick....is to use it themselves.  ROSEN.  I was WRONG.  I still the Giants are going to regret this.  

3.  The Jets will take a QB.  (...)I didn't think it would end up being Darnold...given the scenario that played out, if he didn't go 1, I was sure he would go 2.  I was only right that this was for a QB, but that was obvious the moment they traded to 3.  

7 bucs....another great NON QB player they like here.  Barkley is my guess.  I called the Bills trade up for Allen...I just didn't quite get the spot right..thought it would be at 9.

9.  49ers.  This is where the action will be on draft night for Arizona, and Buffalo if they want something still on the QB board.  I am guessing Josh Allen, Jackson and Mason Rudolph are what is left.  Here is where the Bills move because Arizona will be trying to get up here too...and the Bills get Josh Allen.  Again...i called the Bills to trade up for Allen...missed the pick by 2 spots.  

(...)

Watch out for San Diego and Pittsburg moving up to that 9 spot for Allen...and if they don't get that...both are major candidates to move around trying to get Rudolph.  LOL....well Rudolph did end up in Pittsburg.  

I do not think Jackson will go round 1.  ....but he did....barely...so I was WRONG.

I will be taking a break from this place for a while...it's been great fun talking draft and QB's with all of you.  This is my favorite place to come and talk football....can't emphasize enough the stark contrast of this place vs. other teams (including my own Chiefs) boards.  Smart fans, who post well thought out topics and interesting comments.  When the season starts, I'll be back again (if you'll have me) to see how Allen is doing, and of course to remind everyone how great Mahomes is every once in a while.  I hope ultimately the trade is looked back upon by all parties as a good thing for everyone involved.  I hadn't been a Bills fan before, but I'll be rooting for you on Sundays that you don't play the Chiefs and hoping that Allen turns into the QB you hope for and deserve.  Best Regards.  

Thanks for your contributions.  Always nice to have fans from other teams who are polite.  And with regard to Allen turning into "The Man" at QB for us...I Hear That!

Question: your prediction was predicated on Rosen going #2 overall to the Giants.  (I predicted they would draft either Barkley or Chubb at this spot.  And I think Gettleman has the measurements for Barkley's gold jacket ready to FAX to the tailor LOL).   Be honest here....if Rosen were on the board, did you predict the Bills would still pass on him to take Allen? 

The G-men DID draft a QB - Lauletta - who I personally think is going to be good, just needs a couple years.  And I think the suckage and demise of Eli Manning has been prematurely declared.  I think the Giants are trying to eat their cake and stash it away for tomorrow -  invest in a stout running game and improved OL for this next season with Eli, AND invest in possibly the best of the 2nd tier QB crop for tomorrow.

The Jackson pick interests me greatly.  I will be waiting to see what Mornhinweg does with him.  I do think it inspired Flacco to feel that there was someone who could play, or that the coaches might like to play, sitting behind him, and Mallett was not...shall we say....inspirational in that regard.  I think Jackson could be amazing, or he could be embarrassing. 

Enjoy!

To Hapless Bills fan.  With Rosen on the board I would have thought the Bills would go Rosen, so yeah, I lucked into my Allen trade and draft.  I only thought Allen because I thought Darnold Rosen and Mayfield would all be off the board.

20 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I was wrong - thought at least one of Giants and Broncos would have taken a QB.

I was also wrong - thought Mason Rudolph would have been picked earlier.

In fairness the Giants did draft a QB, it just may have been at a different pick!

I thought the Bills would draft Josh in picks 7-2 in the first..................

but i wanted Rosen. I am usually wrong thats why Allen may be right!

5/7 right, when I posted in the early April thread titled "What are your bold predictiond about the NFL Draft." I mentioned they were not the boldest of predictions, but they were my predictions nevertheless...

Predicted Commisioner would be booed...Yes, was a no brainer.

Predicted Mayfield on couch with phone in hand smiling, laughing or crying when picked...Yes

Predicted we would be either outraged or giddy at our selection...Yes

Predicted Rosen would say something dumb on draft day to stir up some feelings here.....Yes

Predicted Kiper would either eat pumpkin pie or use hair spray during 1st round...Yes, as I have proof as he disappeared a second. Then looked at his face/hair.

Predicted Bellichick would draft Lauletta, White or Rudolph...Wrong. Did not prectict his senility would happen this early

Predicted Bean would stay at #12 and say they were thrilled their pick was still there. Wrong. He was feeling the heat to move up. He likely was not thrilled at Allens tweets.