Please God Red-Shirt Allen

Boludo

I wasn't thrilled about the Allen move but I'm coming around. I like all the defensive picks that have followed and it's building my faith back up.

I just PRAY the organization is looking to red shirt Allen for a season, let McCarron get his clock cleaned, and then restock the O-line next offseason and add some weapons and let Allen come into a much better situation. That plan sounds great to me.

Throwing Allen out there this season will ruin the kid.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

You have the psychic ability to see what our offensive personnel looks like at the start of the season?  

We held onto cap space for a reason.  That reason is the upcoming cuts.  If they sign a bunch defensive side of the ball cap casualties then you can worry, I guess. 

Edited by SCBills

What if he is the clear cut starter coming out of camp?

They aren't red shirting him if that is the case.

Allen is a big strong athletic QB that can stand up to pressure. How he performs under pressure is another story.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Boludo said:

I wasn't thrilled about the Allen move but I'm coming around. I like all the defensive picks that have followed and it's building my faith back up.

I just PRAY the organization is looking to red shirt Allen for a season, let McCarron get his clock cleaned, and then restock the O-line next offseason and add some weapons and let Allen come into a much better situation. That plan sounds great to me.

Doubt the the plan is for McCarron to get his clock cleaned... but working with Allen on footwork and reading coverage for at least 1 whole year should be the plan.

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You have the psychic ability to see what our offensive personnel looks like at the start of the season?  

We held onto cap space for a reason.  That reason is the upcoming cuts.  If they sign a bunch defensive side of the ball cap casualties then you can worry, I guess. 

Come on, you really think there is going to be a flood of starting caliber players coming available before the season?

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

What if he is the clear cut starter coming out of camp?

They aren't red shirting him if that is the case.

Allen is a big strong athletic QB that can stand up to pressure. How he performs under pressure is another story.

Hopefully they red shirt him anyways.

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The way McDermott was speaking it's fairly obvious Allen is not playing this year.

I pray you are correct sir.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The way McDermott was speaking it's fairly obvious Allen is not playing this year.

I think he's smart enough not to put a lot of expectations on the kid for his rookie year.  Don't think for a minute that if Allen turns out to be the best QB on the roster in training camp and pre-season that McDemott won't play him.

Just now, Boludo said:

Come on, you really think there is going to be a flood of starting caliber players coming available before the season?

Hopefully they red shirt him anyways.

I pray you are correct sir.

I don’t know about a flood of starting players but we are one of the few teams left with cap space and if a handful of OL/WR’s come available, we should be able to be in on them.  

9 minutes ago, Boludo said:

i'm coming around on him too. the big reason i'm quite ok with this pick is that we get to see what a.j. can do....

and i think he can do great. therefore, i think it would do wonders to let allen sit this year. get used to everything and learn the game.

Acquire franchise quarterback. 

Build a dominant defense while you red shirt the qb. 

Go nuts in free agency on the offensive side of the ball next year now that players will want to come to a team without a glaring hole at qb. 

Super Bowl in 2020. 

I'm excited for Allen. I can't wait to see what he can do. I agree though about the red shirt. The guy is an investment and should be handled with care. He's not some afterthought thrown in when the offense starts tanking games. 

Although if he is a clear cut winner of training camp I won't be against starting him either. 

1 minute ago, Lfod said:

I'm excited for Allen. I can't wait to see what he can do. I agree though about the red shirt. The guy is an investment and should be handled with care. He's not some afterthought thrown in when the offense starts tanking games. 

Although if he is a clear cut winner of training camp I won't be against starting him either. 

He will easily beat out his competition. It's AJ McCarron and Nate Peterman for Pete's sake.

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t know about a flood of starting players but we are one of the few teams left with cap space and if a handful of OL/WR’s come available, we should be able to be in on them.  

What are you even talking about? There is nothing left to spend the cap space on.

20 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I think he's smart enough not to put a lot of expectations on the kid for his rookie year.  Don't think for a minute that if Allen turns out to be the best QB on the roster in training camp and pre-season that McDemott won't play him.

Yeah but that ain't happening. He's got too much to learn about reading defenses and mechanics.