I'm liking the defense

2 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I really like the Edmunds and Phillips picks but the defense still has a few needs. They still need a 3T defensive tackle to replace Kyle, although nexts year DT class could end up being very, very good. LB and depth are still needs. They need another CB and some depth there. I still think pass rush will be an issue.

Overall, I think they should be able to be as good as or improve on last years defense, especially the run defense.

By all accounts, that should be Phillips. 

• Like (+1) 1

Tremaine Edmunds has the potential to be an absolute monster for the Bills behind the likes of Star and Phillips over the next few years who eat blocks and create a lot of space for the linebackers to make plays.  Phillips has what it takes to get some sacks.  He's not the fastest guy but when you watch him on tape, he just competes and gets the job done.  He lives in the backfield.  How many DTs can say they had a 100 plus tackle season?  That is ridiculous!  Front 7 has gotten some major help so far this offseason.  Could see more being added today if the board falls a certain way.  

2 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I really like the Edmunds and Phillips picks but the defense still has a few needs. They still need a 3T defensive tackle to replace Kyle, although nexts year DT class could end up being very, very good. LB and depth are still needs. They need another CB and some depth there. I still think pass rush will be an issue.

Overall, I think they should be able to be as good as or improve on last years defense, especially the run defense.

I am actually looking forward to our pass rush. With Star getting double teamed quite a bit our ends can work 1-on-1 a little more, or allow a rushing lb a gap to run through. I actually love the Murphy signing, hope he pans out and stays out of trouble. We should be good with pass rush with what we have

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

He's more of a NT than Kyle Williams. 

He also has the ability to live in the backfield.  Watch his tape and he was constantly in the backfield.  17 TFL and 7.5 sacks to go along with almost tackles?  Monster.  He can penetrate better than most believe but he does it in a unique way.  His wrestling backround helps him with that.

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Offense will have to wait until next season but the defense is looking good. Need to add a couple CB's though, slot and depth. This unit could be special next season. Our sub package, which is basically our base defense, looks strong. 

I agree that the defense should be much improved. The defensive line rotation looks miles better with the additions of Star, Phillips, and Murphy. Edmunds should elevate the entire defense to a new level. Even the secondary should be improved with White a year wiser, Poyer and Hyde, and Vontae instead of Gaines.

The offense could surprise people, too. They already have some legit NFL stars or high quality players. McCoy, Benjamin, and Clay represent three quality skill players. And if Allen turns out to be a franchise QB, he'll obviously elevate the offense. The thing that scares the daylights out of me right now is the offensive line. Dawkins is a good player, but pretty much the entire rest of the line is a question mark. Here's hoping guys like Groy, Miller, and Connor McDermott step up and protect our new quarterback.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Doc said:

By all accounts, that should be Phillips. 

He's a 1T, and McD has already said as much. He doesn’t nearly have the same get-off that Kyle does.

Its not a bad thing, btw. He’s good rotation for Star, keeps them fresh and keeps the LBs free to roam.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 2

I understand people wanting us to draft offense but defense is what keeps you in the game.  Did for us last year.  The offense is a project that will be addressed next year.  Trusting the process. I like what I see.  Front 7 has been injected with some talent, hope that continues.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

He also has the ability to live in the backfield.  Watch his tape and he was constantly in the backfield.  17 TFL and 7.5 sacks to go along with almost tackles?  Monster.  He can penetrate better than most believe but he does it in a unique way.  His wrestling backround helps him with that.

Definitely can be a 3. He's versatile. I like him as a penetrating 1 Tech though. 

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Definitely can be a 3. He's versatile. I like him as a penetrating 1 Tech though. 

I don't think they need to put a set position on him.  He said in his press conference that McDermott asked him if he liked the idea of moving around a bit.  I see him playing a little bit of both and being a major asset in the rotation.  When star is off of the field, he can fill in nicely and together on the field...good luck running on that duo plus Edmunds behind them.

29 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Another young linebacker is ideal, another corner and perhaps developmental pass rushing prospect.  Just pick BPA though.  Too many needs not to

Shaq Griffin could be a possibility, I mean 4.3 speed as a LB doesn't hurt

Edited by horned dogs

Just now, horned dogs said:

Shaq Griffin could be a possibility, I mean 4.3 speed as a LB doesn't hurt

I just don't know where he truly fits position wise on this defense.  I see him more as a 3-4 rusher do to his size.  Unsure if he can play lb in a 4-3 but who knows.  Also intrigued by Tegray Scales from Indiana, Mike McCray from Michigan and Josey Jewell from Iowa.  Only thing with Jewell is I see him as a MLB and I expect Tremaine to have that spot on lockdown.  Depth doesn't hurt though.

I just know that we've added:

-Star

-Murphy

-Davis

-Edmunds

-Phillips

That's a pretty solid core of additions

So, unless I'm missing something, we are looking at:

CB: 

White

Davis

Safety:

Poyer

Hyde

LB:

Milano

Lorax

Edmunds

DE:

Hughes

Lawson

Murphy

DT:

Star

Williams

Phillips

That's a really solid top 13 on defense

Like really, really solid.

I'm not seeing this special defense.  I'm seeing a deficiency at linebacker, Lorax the weakest point.  I see Milano as a serviceable depth player.  I see issues up the middle and Kyle Williams not a 3 down tackle at this point with no ability to put outside pressure with Lawson or Hughes being mitigated by underperforming outside backers.

I need to see more before I see more. 

56 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I don't think that's what they have in mind for him. He's going to be in the Kyle role. Actually they'll play him all along the line I bet.

That's actually what McDermott said he sees him as. 1 tech. This guy can anchor.

Edited by TheTruthHurts