Worst Bills Draft Year, 2004/2005?

Kaenon

Warning:  The following is extremely hypothetical and is all opinion based; this is just meant in good fun as I am eagerly awaiting this year's draft just as I did 2004/2005 (I list both because of the events that precipitated out of it.  This is obviously a stretch of hindsight is 20/20 and shoulda-woulda-coulda, sprinkled in with a dose of...hmmm, that could have been possible.

I also bring it up because the 2018 is being talked about similar to the 2004 draft, where we will likely see 3 high-quality NFL starters come out of the 1st round that will be the face of the NFL in the years to come. 

2004:  QB-centric and QB-heavy draft, touted best since 1983.

The Bills had some idea they wanted a QB in this draft, but opted not to move up for the big three of Manning, Rivers and Roethlisberger.  Instead, the Bills stayed in place and draft Lee Evans just two (2) picks after Big Ben.  Then, later in round 1- the Bills assume they can draft their guy from Tulane, the one and only J.P. Losman at 22nd overall at the expense of our 2004 2nd and 2005 1st round pick.

At the conclusion of the 2004 NFL season, the Bills released then starting QB Drew Bledsoe, who then went on to play a good season or so of football in Dallas.

Flash forward to 2005:  

Drew Bledsoe still had a season or two left in him, and the Bills went 9-7 in 2004.  We could have waited just one-year to draft a QB, and this guy would have been sitting there at #20 when the Bills would have selected in the 2005 NFL draft.  Aaron Rodgers.

In fantastic fashion, I believe these two drafts were the absolute worst in Bills history.

Reality:

Between 2004/2005 we landed: (1st and 2nd round only)

Lee Evans, J.P. Losman and Roscoe Parrish

Alternate Universe:

Between 2004/2005 we could have landed: (1st and 2nd round only)

Lee Evans, Bob Sanders (bpa), Aaron Rodgers and likely Roscoe Parrish

:-p

Yeah that move by Donahoe was probably the reason the drought lasted as long as it did. He either should have pulled the trigger moved up and gotten Rothlisberger or waited a season and taken Rodgers the following year. The irony is the Bills moved up because they were worried the packers were going to take Losman. 

I always thought the story was that TD wanted to trade up ahead of Pittsburgh to get Ben and was working with Jacksonville but when their pick came up the Jags decided not to budge because they were really high on some WR...

Then as a consequence TD kind of panicked and traded back into round one for JP to check that QB box.

39 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

2016 was pretty bad.  Shaq Lawson at #1...nuff said

Didn't you hear?  We were surprised and delighted to take him so low!  Should have gone much higher.

Speaking of "gone": so is the brain trust calling those shots.  Thank God.

41 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

2016 was pretty bad.  Shaq Lawson at #1...nuff said

Shaq Lawson was actually picked at #19 and was a very highly rated prospect on draft day. Bears fans (the draft was in Chicago) were chanting for him to be the pick at #11 (recall noting this BEFORE he was our pick). 19 was the lowest position I saw him in any mock.

Furthermore, he's been far from the disaster many on this board have painted him as. He's been hurt, but when he's played, many weeks he got good grades from PFF for setting the edge against the run. At worst, it was a mid-first round pick that as of yet has not particularly set us back. Look at the picks after -- other than Myles Jack (who had larger injury concerns) and Deion Jones, it's hard to say what they actually missed that was obvious. Many mocks had us taking Ragland with that 19 pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Too many bad drafts to pick just one.  2012 yielded some good players, but I'll always remember it as the draft the Bills traded up for Russell Wilson.  Wait, I meant TJ Graham.  Buddy liked Russell Wilson, but not in the 3rd.  Please allow me to suggest that if you don't like a QB enough to take him in the 3rd, you don't like him all that much.

Edited by Buffalo86

That whole era led by Modrak and Guy was pretty bad. It was a combination of bad FA signings and not good draft picks. I feel like the Bills really sort of spun their wheels until Nix got there. I’m not saying that everything was perfect but the Bills have been much more functional since then. 

2 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I remember one year we traded back into the first to get John McCargo!!  That was a great idea.  Good news is we also drafted Ko Simpson in the 4th.  However, the saving grace was getting Kyle Williams in the 5th.   Oh, and Ashton Youboty in the 3rd.  Marv's draft.  

Good Lord we've had some incompetent boobs making draft picks for this team.  That one is almost unfathomable.

"But he looked really good in college with Mario Williams and Manny Lawson playing next to him!"   :death: