Hand size

It is a dumb measurement for sure.

And yes, actual grip would be a better attribute to measure.

But even then, you know some idiot scouts/GM's would start over-valuing QB grip measurements from the combine, shooting some bum up to the to 1st round anyway...

They'll see the Bills, Browns, Broncos, Bengals, Bears (a lot of "B" teams...) in the top 10 one draft and say "whoa, this guy's grip is PERFECT for all these cold weather teams! He could be the next ______!"

And suddenly, you have Uncle Rico being drafted in the top 5 because he could squeeze balls well....?

Both are important but actual hand size may be more critical than grip strength. 

Think of it like this: 

Whether you have big hands, average hands or small hands, you're probably going to be able to grip a baseball no problem. A person with smaller hands may actually have  a greater grip strength then someone with 10" hands. But that grips strength is dramatically decreased if you can't get most of your hand around the object you are trying to grip, such as a football or basketball. Most grip strength measurement devices I have seen are rather small, like a pistol grip type thing. No problem to get ones hands around that.

17 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

While I understand the importance and theory, is it a deal breaker? Cold weathered QB's in the league have denounced that stigma, ie Rodgers. That said, it seems to me that hand STRENGTH is much more important. Why do we never see any stats on that? 9 inch hands with 130 lbs pressure is way better to hold a football than 10 inch hands with 100 lbs...just a thought. Will this ever become the norm in evaluation of QB's, or are we forever a non evolving league?

Strong hands hold the ball alot better when hit from the blindside than a big hand. 

Anylitics depts should be all over this as the path to future evaluations IMO

I think hand strength would not be something overly important myself. 

If you were going to measure it - get a regulation sized football with sensors and measure the pressure as the actually are passing the ball.

The issue I have with hand strength is if you have smaller hands, but strong grip strength - it can actually lead to the ball coming if the football is hard and slick whereas a guy with bigger hands could still control the football.

Hand size is considered important not because of fumbles, but because larger hands allow better control and accuracy in passing.  The QB rarely if ever would exert full pressure on the ball.