Why all the hate for Josh Allen?

On 4/20/2018 at 12:18 AM, Logic said:

I was kidding with the "What do you mean YOU PEOPLE?" remark.

I was not kidding that my opinion is that Allen stinks. I also respect and appreciate your contrary opinion. I have already read and quite enjoyed your Allen thread. I have also watched every "all throws" video I can find on Youtube, because part of me thinks the Bills really like him, and I'm trying to get myself mentally ready.

He makes anywhere from 2-5 "WOW" throws per game. But everything in between those "WOW" throws -- the misfires of simple swing routes and screens, bailing out of pocket due to phantom pressure, failure to keep the offense "on schedule" much of the time, misfiring on seam routes and overthrowing would-be TDs, boneheaded "WHAT WAS HE THINKING?!" interceptions -- concerns me very much. Of all the QBs, I feel like I've watched and read about Allen the MOST, even though I like him the least. I've watched and read about him BECAUSE I don't understand why he is a candidate to be a top five pick. It's so strange to me that a guy who completed less than 60% of his passes in high school, failed to garner any major college offers in two separate recruiting campaigns (despite THAT arm and THOSE physical tools), didn't blow away the competition in the Mountain West, and failed to complete 60% of his passes again at Wyoming...is somehow a top five candidate. I can see his off-the-charts physical gifts, I can see that the skill position players and offensive line around him in 2017 stunk, I can see that he makes some jaw-dropping throws...but all of that doesn't add up to an NFL projection I feel comfortable with. Physical gifts and "Want-to" alone won't do it. I fear he doesn't have what it takes between the ears. That's my opinion. I respect that yours is different and all that really matters is that we'll find out what Beane and McDermott's opinion is on the matter in one week.

Peyton Manning has said the best thing the Colts EVER did for his development was they didn’t give him many easy throws his 1st year in the league. They also told him they didn’t care about INTs because they wanted him to realize what he could and what he couldn’t do. 

Many of of these guys coming out are on teams with 4 and 5 star players all round them and their job is to protect the ball because their team is good enough. The problem with that is they are never asked to push it and see what they can do. We saw it the past couple years with Tyrod more often than not it wasn’t the throws he misses that caused us to lose, it’s the ones he never attempts. 

Allen took a lot of chances this year because he had to. His offense also didn’t have many easy throws built in to it and since he was the only guy to game plan against (WYO has zero run game) he saw 8 and 9 man drops almost exclusively. He’s better than most on this board realize, the scouts are right about him. 

QB rank: Darnold, Allen,  & Mayfield. 

*Rosen talent wise he’s number 1, but with his father being a Neurosurgeon I’m concerned he’s two big hits away from walking away from the NFL completely after he proves to himself that he COULD do it.  

It's not hate. He's just a Project QB, and by Project QB, I don't mean developmental QB, I mean Project QB. I'll provide what I think is exactly the definition of what a Project QB, and all I've done here is taken the summary section of Allen and Blake Bortles (another obvious Project QB) and combined them.

"Possesses ideal size, athletic ability, intangibles and enough arm strength to develop into an upper-echelon quarterback. Is not yet a franchise quarterback, but has all the physical ingredients to become an outstanding NFL starter. Where he goes in the NFL will have a big impact on if he pans out. He needs good coaching to develop his game and improve on his fundamentals. Whichever team views him as a future franchise quarterback and takes him will have to have good quarterback teachers in house to work with him."

I don't hate Allen. He's just a clear Project, and those guys very rarely become Franchise QBs, despite plenty of examples historically of teams drafting these guys in the 1st and 2nd round.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

2 hours ago, billvernsays said:

Rosen talent wise he’s number 1, but with his father being a Neurosurgeon I’m concerned he’s two big hits away from walking away from the NFL completely after he proves to himself that he COULD do it.  

There's zero chance he walks away workout winning a super bowl. He wants to be like his hero and fellow UCLA alum Troy Aikman. Win some super bowls, make the hall of fame, parlay that into a successful business career. He wants the name brand recognition. Nobody is going into business with an NFL bust or a quitter

History shows that picking QBs with great physical attributes over excellent football skills is a losing proposition.  He is the ultimate risk/reward and I personally would not trade up to get him.  Makes the risk higher to the team as other resources are sacrificed with no reward increase.

If he falls to 12, then the value proposition changes and the risk may be worth taking.

• Like (+1) 1