Good Lamar Jackson article on ESPN

35 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Good read on him.

Take the time to read it all.

I'm not pushing for or against him.

I just thought it was a good read.

http://theundefeated.com/features/lamar-jackson-louisville-could-change-the-nfl-if-he-gets-the-chance/

Wait, What?  Matt Hasselbeck says QB accuracy can be improved.  I read here that doesn't happen!

" But former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Matt Hasselbeck says accuracy can improve, pointing to himself and Alex Smith as examples of passers whose precision grew sharper over time. “Lamar’s accuracy is flawed because of his final step, which can be fixed,” he said.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

But ... but ... why are they comparing him to Mike Vick??  I thought they were different QBs!  Whoever wrote that must be racist!!

I heard you were gug.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wait, What?  Matt Hasselbeck says QB accuracy can be improved.  I read here that doesn't happen!

" But former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Matt Hasselbeck says accuracy can improve, pointing to himself and Alex Smith as examples of passers whose precision grew sharper over time. “Lamar’s accuracy is flawed because of his final step, which can be fixed,” he said.

I actually almost quoted that same part!!

Bills fans, ask yourself this: late December 2016. Lamar Jackson has just won the Heisman as a sophomore. The Bills have just missed making the playoffs. Again. 

I tell you that in 15 months time (March 2018), the Bills will be:

- coming off a playoff season

- making final preparations for the draft, and are expected to select Lamar Jackson with the 12th overall pick, with AJ McCarron in place for 2 years as a bridge 

- considering who they may select with another first round pick, the 22nd overall

- will be effectively out of the contract/cap he’ll caused by ill-advised extensions given to Cordy Glenn and Dareus

Am I crazy to think that most Bills fans would be ecstatic about this scenario? I’m not thrilled with how the draft is playing out so far, but still: my, how quickly we’re spoiled by even the slightest success ....

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Am I crazy to think that most Bills fans would be ecstatic about this scenario? I’m not thrilled with how the draft is playing out so far, but still: my, how quickly we’re spoiled by even the slightest success ....

Suggesting this fan base is spoiled in even the slightest is idiocy.  

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If their accuracy improved it must have been visible by the eye test because you wouldn't draw that conclusion looking at their completion % stats.

11 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

If their accuracy improved it must have been visible by the eye test because you wouldn't draw that conclusion looking at their completion % stats.

Not to hijack a thread but.... (year 10 outlier: Hasselbeck was playing through a bulging disk injury from preseason and missed half the season)

image.thumb.png.0ee642d1fb773bc798b38dcfcb2a98da.png

image.thumb.png.ebfb25728a344c696e56b7a133aad58d.png

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Bills fans, ask yourself this: late December 2016. Lamar Jackson has just won the Heisman as a sophomore. The Bills have just missed making the playoffs. Again. 

I tell you that in 15 months time (March 2018), the Bills will be:

- coming off a playoff season

- making final preparations for the draft, and are expected to select Lamar Jackson with the 12th overall pick, with AJ McCarron in place for 2 years as a bridge 

- considering who they may select with another first round pick, the 22nd overall

- will be effectively out of the contract/cap he’ll caused by ill-advised extensions given to Cordy Glenn and Dareus

Waaaay too much reason and thought in this one.  ?

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

Good read on him.

Take the time to read it all.

I'm not pushing for or against him.

I just thought it was a good read.

http://theundefeated.com/features/lamar-jackson-louisville-could-change-the-nfl-if-he-gets-the-chance/

Thor Nystrom of Rotoworld was on WGR with Howard Simon. His comments on Rosen, Jackson and the best approach to take on this draft was clearly well reasoned. He felt that Rosen was the best qb in this draft and also believed that drafting Jackson at 12 and keeping our picks was a smart way build roster. It's a 17 minute segment. One of the better takes on this draft. 

I'm leaning toward drafting Rosen but not moving all the way up to the two spot get him. I believe he will be available at around 6 for a reasonable price. If we lose out then consider Thor's next best option of selecting Jackson at the 12 spot. 

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-19-thor-nystrom-rotoworld-howard-and-jeremy

• Like (+1) 1

Good read but I don't think Lamar should be limited to a tailored RPO scheme based on college principles. I'm with those who believe NFL defensive coordinators can make adjustments for that. QB run totals might be up but it's still a passing league. 

Rushing, and the threat to run, will always be a part of Lamar's game (tho he won't run in the pros like he did in college and survive)  but that's not the part that needs work. He needs to develop as a pocket passer. The good news is that he has given evaluators good reason for thinking he can do that, for being a guy who looks to pass, not run, first. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not to hijack a thread but.... (year 10 outlier: Hasselbeck was playing through a bulging disk injury from preseason and missed half the season)

image.thumb.png.0ee642d1fb773bc798b38dcfcb2a98da.png

image.thumb.png.ebfb25728a344c696e56b7a133aad58d.png

I think this may be a typical progression for many QB's in the league.  It may be an increase in accuracy but my suspicion is it's a greater understanding of defenses and situational awareness.  In other words the game becomes easier for them with each passing year.  I looked at Brees and Brady just out of curiosity and they both have improved in completion percentage over the course of their careers.

Edited by Epstein's Mother

22 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I think this may be a typical progression for many QB's in the league.  It may be an increase in accuracy but my suspicion is it's a greater understanding of defenses and situational awareness.  In other words the game becomes easier for them with each passing year.  I looked at Brees and Brady just out of curiosity and they both have improved in completion percentage over the course of their careers.

It was to your point that if they improved in accuracy you couldn't see it in their completion stats.  Seems pretty clear to me there's a change.  It's harder to see for Hasselbeck because he had a couple seasons where he played seriously hurt but it's there. 

Of course, completion stats are only one part of accuracy, and perhaps both experienced a greater improvement by the "eyeball test" of being able to put the ball exactly where and when they wanted it to go

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was to your point that if they improved in accuracy you couldn't see it in their completion stats.  Seems pretty clear to me there's a change.  It's harder to see for Hasselbeck because he had a couple seasons where he played seriously hurt but it's there. 

Of course, completion stats are only one part of accuracy, and perhaps both experienced a greater improvement by the "eyeball test" of being able to put the ball exactly where and when they wanted it to go

There is nothing remarkable in either player's completion percentage stats improvement.  Yes, they tended to have better completion rates as they got older (Hasselbeck pretty much went sideways after year 4) but so do many QB's.  As I was saying I believe their ability to throw to the spot may have visibly gotten better.

Edited by Epstein's Mother

34 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

There is nothing remarkable in either player's completion percentage stats improvement.  Yes, they tended to have better completion rates as they got older (Hasselbeck pretty much went sideways after year 4) but so do many QB's.  As I was saying I believe their ability to throw to the spot may have visibly gotten better.

OK, I will let it go after this, but what you actually said was " If their accuracy improved it must have been visible by the eye test because you wouldn't draw that conclusion looking at their completion % stats".  The point is, one WOULD draw that conclusion (that they improved) looking at their completion stats, particularly clear for Smith.  It may not be "remarkable" relative to other QB (that wasn't Hasselbeck's claim, either).  Ciao!

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, I will let it go after this, but what you actually said was " If their accuracy improved it must have been visible by the eye test because you wouldn't draw that conclusion looking at their completion % stats".  The point is, one WOULD draw that conclusion (that they improved) looking at their completion stats, particularly clear for Smith.  It may not be "remarkable" relative to other QB (that wasn't Hasselbeck's claim, either).  Ciao!

Glad we cleared that up.:D

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Are they saying you should draft a guy high in the first round based upon the knowledge that it isn't impossible that he can be taught to throw accurately?

That appears to be the Thought Trend of the Year for NFL Football, at least as far as many of the Draft Pundits (Allen)

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hasselbeck also said that his team was going to score in OT vs the Pack in the playoffs. I’m not convinced that many inaccurate college QB’s have gone on to successful pro careers. I’ve always gotten the impression that Hasselbeck isn’t the brightest crayon in the box, and his analysis sucks. If Tony Romo had this to say I’d be more willing to listen. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5