Simple question: what's the biggest threat to our country at this time?

boyst

Debt.

Because one day the dollar won't be the exclusive reserve currency anymore.  It's just a matter of time.  And we'll be forced into austerity measures, and we will be the IMF's biotch.  It will happen sometime this century.  We will be "bailed out" because if we weren't the world's economy would be majorly f'ed, and we here in the US will sell it as something else, but it will still be the same kind of thing, just on a larger scale, that happened to Greece, etc.

You might say, "well, that's not at this time", but really, it is, because the powers-that-be in our country ain't stupid, and they know what's coming down the pike, and through, especially, our foreign policy, they're trying desperately to augment our position, so that when the inevitable comes down the pike, we will be in the best position possible to negotiate the best possible deal.  That's why we, in public, take such bellicose stances against the BRICS countries (especially Russia and China).  We're like a famous, reknown poker player that has dominated the scene for a long time, but now, has finally gotten up in age and now sees his stacks dwindling where they once increased, and thus becomes recklessly aggressive with his play, even though he knows that, in the long run, he will end up bankrupt.

8 hours ago, joesixpack said:

it's a debt. Debts either get paid or they dont. Hell, China could just quit BUYING it.

They did for the most part... Now we have nations and hedge fund managers buying it short, and reselling it back to the Fed... I know, illegal in spirit, but it's only illegal if the Fed buys it directly....

We've been financing our own dept with smoke and mirrors.... 

4 minutes ago, Cinga said:

They did for the most part... Now we have nations and hedge fund managers buying it short, and reselling it back to the Fed... I know, illegal in spirit, but it's only illegal if the Fed buys it directly....

We've been financing our own dept with smoke and mirrors.... 

Yes, this.  And when the dollar is not the reserve, this smoke and mirrors game will be null and void, and we will be well and truly f'ed.  Russia is buying gold by the truckloads to ensure their future, and China has launched its yuan-denominated oil futures as an attempt to chip away at the dollar's monopoly.  Both of these countries are on the upswing, which none of us may want to hear, but it's simply the reality.

Nothing short of a self-imposed, radical change in our expenditures can save us from the reality of these countries overtaking and surplanting us.  Saber rattling only fools the plebs, not the people who actually run these countries.

13 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Yes, this.  And when the dollar is not the reserve, this smoke and mirrors game will be null and void, and we will be well and truly f'ed.  Russia is buying gold by the truckloads to ensure their future, and China has launched its yuan-denominated oil futures as an attempt to chip away at the dollar's monopoly.  Both of these countries are on the upswing, which none of us may want to hear, but it's simply the reality.

Nothing short of a self-imposed, radical change in our expenditures can save us from the reality of these countries overtaking and surplanting us.  Saber rattling only fools the plebs, not the people who actually run these countries.

the 40th time I've had to hear gibberish about a foreign country buying out the US

Kuwait, Iran, Iraq, Canada, Holland, China, Soviet Union, Russia, England.... the Planet Mars....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

Modern country music.

Especially the stuff with drum machines and wrap sections. And lyrics about McDonalds Happy Meals and mini vans.

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

He has orange colored skin and Tweets to much, oh and he is a major blowhard 

Is much a verb now?

Just now, row_33 said:

the 40th time I've had to hear gibberish about a foreign country buying out the US

Kuwait, Iran, Iraq, Canada, Holland, China, Soviet Union, Russia, England.... the Planet Mars....

And the 81st time will be when the IMF owns all the infrastructure of our country.

A true patriot would be interested in what I have articulated.  Would be interested in figuring out how exactly we could avoid this fate.  Or, if he/she disagreed, would be interested in debating the relative merits of my points.  Would be interested in saying "Hey, you're wrong, and here's why".  But that's not you, obviously.

So keep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  It's much easier, hey, I get it, trust me.

11 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Especially the stuff with drum machines and wrap sections.

Wrap sections? 

3 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

And the 81st time will be when the IMF owns all the infrastructure of our country.

A true patriot would be interested in what I have articulated.  Would be interested in figuring out how exactly we could avoid this fate.  Or, if he/she disagreed, would be interested in debating the relative merits of my points.  Would be interested in saying "Hey, you're wrong, and here's why".  But that's not you, obviously.

So keep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  It's much easier, hey, I get it, trust me.

He's Canadian, so he's used to that funny-looking play money with the Queen on it.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Pardon me, rap sections.  Where some cowboy singer talks over a drum machine like the rap guys do.

Do they really do that? I thought Country had lost a lot when they went pop, but they're actually trying to do Hip-Hop/Rap Country?!

That's one more genre I will happily ignore.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

At least he's not a Loonie.

There was a time when I might have disagreed, but considering the recent influx of lobotomidgets around here, I concede your point.

:beer:

4 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Do they really do that? I thought Country had lost a lot when they went pop, but they're actually trying to do Hip-Hop/Rap Country?!

That's one more genre I will happily ignore.

Listen to a top 40 country station, you'll hear it.  I've heard it.  But I don't like it and don't listen to it regularly if at all.

I like C&W but it has to sound like C&W.  You know, fiddles, steel guitars, songs about Mama and trains and trucks and prison and gettin' drunk.

And I ain't from Canada.  I'm from Texas.  So I know what I'm talkin' about.

Edited by reddogblitz

37 minutes ago, Azalin said:

There was a time when I might have disagreed, but considering the recent influx of lobotomidgets around here, I concede your point.

:beer:

I graded 33 on a curve and included thebug in the group.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Maybe you should read again what she wrote so here, I'll help:

1 hour ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

She said nothing about foreign countries buying out the US... Only that the US dollar is the preferred reserve trade currency around the world and that Russia and China both would like to change that. That would be very bad news for the US so again, she is correct....

If she can be faulted for anything in what she said it is the fact that Europe also hoped to supplant the dollar with the Euro but thanks to EU stupidity that isn't likely to happen any time soon.