Bills 'Dead Cap' now at $38 mil - get more draft picks!

Punt75

2018 is a wash for me as a Bills fan expectations-wise. I think that the Bills are going to trade up for a QB and won't have a dramatic amount of draft capital left over to address other needs (of which there are many WR, LG, RT, LB, CB, Pass rush, and secondary/depth needs at TE, DT, and RB) and the depth of the team is suspect. 

If The Bills keep their picks they can address some needs but there will be big holes on the roster even if they hit on most of their early picks. Get me a stud rookie QB and take the best players available with the picks you have left over. 2018 I don't have much expectations if a big trade up for a QB is to occur. But 2019 the team's windfall of cap space will occur and they will have their Qb in place and they will be in position for sustained success. 

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

If the QB is there you believe in, you take him.

A retiring Guard, and a one year cap situation don't make you pass on the chance at a talent that can be around for 15 years. 

Stop panicking. 

The team will still be competitive even if they trade 3 high draft picks plus a pick in 2019. They will still have some draft capital to address at least 1-2 other needs and the roster isn't terrible as is. They will then have a complete windfall of cap space to build the roster back up and build around a QB. 

13 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The team will still be competitive even if they trade 3 high draft picks plus a pick in 2019. They will still have some draft capital to address at least 1-2 other needs and the roster isn't terrible as is. They will then have a complete windfall of cap space to build the roster back up and build around a QB. 

If they believe in the guy that much, I'm still Ok with them trading away 2019's first. The only thing this off season has done has made me think that next years pick is going to be a high one, and I'll miss that. But if you hit on the QB and he shows he probably belongs, I can deal with the inevitable **** storm that will follow when we don't have our top ten pick next year. 

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

If they believe in the guy that much, I'm still Ok with them trading away 2019's first. The only thing this off season has done has made me think that next years pick is going to be a high one, and I'll miss that. But if you hit on the QB and he shows he probably belongs, I can deal with the inevitable **** storm that will follow when we don't have our top ten pick next year. 

My ideal trade back would be to go up to 4 for Baker Mayfield by giving up 12, 22, The Bills 4th, and a 2019 2nd. That still leaves the Bills picks 53, 56, 65, and 96 to address other needs and losing a 2019 2nd hurts but I can live with that as the 1st in 2019 is the one pick I would hate to have to give up. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Punt75 said:

With the Incognito retirement / quit the Bills have $38 mil in 2018 Dead Cap spending.  No other NFL team is close to that number (AZ w/$20mil and KC w/$16mil.)

FIVE players (Dareus, Glenn, Tyrod, Aaron Williams & Richie) make up $36mil of that amount.  

I still believe the Bills need MORE DRAFT PICKS  right now.  Trade the #1's for extra choices in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Draft a "2nd tier" QB in the 2nd and then get quality players at OT, G, LB's, WR, CB and more!  The rookie draft pick salaries are a bargain and they'll be Bills for 4+ years. 

There are many oranges here.

Therefore China is at high altitude.

Edited by Thurman#1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

My ideal trade back would be to go up to 4 for Baker Mayfield by giving up 12, 22, The Bills 4th, and a 2019 2nd. That still leaves the Bills picks 53, 56, 65, and 96 to address other needs and losing a 2019 2nd hurts but I can live with that as the 1st in 2019 is the one pick I would hate to have to give up. 

I would love that if the Browns would take it.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Trouble is it would be a minimum of two years before the Bills could possibly find a QB ( 2019 not a good year for QBs). So all these 2 nds would be a year away from FA by the time the QB situation is even settled. This is the year to get a QB as it will be awhile if you don't. 

Totally agree and I've been saying the same thing myself. 

Say we build a complete team team and try to win with a game manager type QB. 

How long can you realistically keep that team together in this salary cap/free agent era until all the best players want big free agent deals? 4 years if you're lucky? 

Where as if they hit on a great QB, they can be a playoff contender for the next 10-15 years, and they won't have to worry as much about having great players at every other position.  A great QB masks a lot of holes. 

I mean, ideally the Bills hit on a QB at 12 or with a small trade up, and surround that QB with a bunch of talent from the draft picks. I'd obviously rather have a deep team and a great QB. I want to surround the rookie QB with as much talent as possible. But if it comes down to either 1) trade up for a QB they feel is the franchise guy, or 2) stay put and take a chance on a 2nd tier QB while building depth at other positions... I take #1. Either way is a gamble. Drafting a QB always is. But give me the elite QB prospect if I have a choice. You can always build the team up around your QB in the coming years. 

This looks like a great QB class where we actually may have a chance at one of the top QBs. As we know, chances like that don't come along that often. Let's take advantage. 

2 hours ago, Punt75 said:

With the Incognito retirement / quit the Bills have $38 mil in 2018 Dead Cap spending.  No other NFL team is close to that number (AZ w/$20mil and KC w/$16mil.)

FIVE players (Dareus, Glenn, Tyrod, Aaron Williams & Richie) make up $36mil of that amount.  

I still believe the Bills need MORE DRAFT PICKS  right now.  Trade the #1's for extra choices in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Draft a "2nd tier" QB in the 2nd and then get quality players at OT, G, LB's, WR, CB and more!  The rookie draft pick salaries are a bargain and they'll be Bills for 4+ years. 

Its all gone next year, who cares. Next year they have close to $90 million in cap space.

24 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

2018 is a wash for me as a Bills fan expectations-wise. I think that the Bills are going to trade up for a QB and won't have a dramatic amount of draft capital left over to address other needs (of which there are many WR, LG, RT, LB, CB, Pass rush, and secondary/depth needs at TE, DT, and RB) and the depth of the team is suspect. 

If The Bills keep their picks they can address some needs but there will be big holes on the roster even if they hit on most of their early picks. Get me a stud rookie QB and take the best players available with the picks you have left over. 2018 I don't have much expectations if a big trade up for a QB is to occur. But 2019 the team's windfall of cap space will occur and they will have their Qb in place and they will be in position for sustained success. 

I have tried to resist discussing all the rants by poster as to  the who, how, where & why's of what may happen come draft night. But this position here really get the hairs to rise, LOL!

1) I really think B. Mayfield and a fan favorite of so many here on this board (not mine)  will be there at 12.  Beane needs a partner to dance with and that's NOT a given. He seems to be a very methodical & analytical mind...he has put parameters in place to limit chasing after a prospect (and I agree with him). So the sell the house to get the "stud" QB is more hype than substance, IMO.

If the expectation for the 2018 season is so low, how will you feel about  having to include a 2019 top 5 pick to get one of these guy's this year?

2) Overall, this years group of QB's are not great , by ranking.

Obviously we don't see the teams value board but according to NFL.com,  there is only one QB ranked in the top 5 (of the big 4), the other prospects fan out into the teens overall. I understand that QB prospects are overvalued due to position but drafting for need regardless of overall ability leads to the Joey Harrington, Akili Smith & Heath Shuler's and many others  being overdrafted due to need...the number of  QB's in this years draft is intriguing but they all need development . I don't see an instant starter with this group, that's a hard nut to swallow when you ship that much capital for someone who needs to sit & learn for a year or two.

3) The projected $100+ Mil in cap space for 2019 would be great but rarely does free spending on high value FA ever pan out for a team...It is more prudent to use these funds to re-sign our own FA . Then fill out the roster with  lower tier ,dust settle type FA for depth & special teams.

6 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

That's actually an overpay based on the trade value chart but I like the idea overall. Using the old Jimmy Johnson chart #4 is worth 1800 points. #12 is 1200 and #22 is 780, so that's 1980 before adding in the 4th or the 2019 2nd. The 4th is worth 52, so that's 2032, and then next year's picks are valued at roughly half price average value of a 2nd rounder is 310, cut in half is 155, so you're paying 2187 for a pick worth 1800. 

Anything coming back the other way from Cleveland?