Bills 'Dead Cap' now at $38 mil - get more draft picks!

Punt75

With the Incognito retirement / quit the Bills have $38 mil in 2018 Dead Cap spending.  No other NFL team is close to that number (AZ w/$20mil and KC w/$16mil.)

FIVE players (Dareus, Glenn, Tyrod, Aaron Williams & Richie) make up $36mil of that amount.  

I still believe the Bills need MORE DRAFT PICKS  right now.  Trade the #1's for extra choices in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Draft a "2nd tier" QB in the 2nd and then get quality players at OT, G, LB's, WR, CB and more!  The rookie draft pick salaries are a bargain and they'll be Bills for 4+ years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah.....but the dead cap goes away after the season. More veterans will be cut for more savings (ex Hughes, Clay and McCoy save about 18.5 million) and they have plenty of room already as it stands. 

4 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

With the Incognito retirement / quit the Bills have $38 mil in 2018 Dead Cap spending.  No other NFL team is close to that number (AZ w/$20mil and KC w/$16mil.)

FIVE players (Dareus, Glenn, Tyrod, Aaron Williams & Richie) make up $36mil of that amount.  

I still believe the Bills need MORE DRAFT PICKS  right now.  Trade the #1's for extra choices in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Draft a "2nd tier" QB in the 2nd and then get quality players at OT, G, LB's, WR, CB and more!  The rookie draft pick salaries are a bargain and they'll be Bills for 4+ years. 

I respectfully disagree. 

A completely rebuilt and filled out roster STILL won't crack 8 wins without a decent QB. That's a fact.

Get a QB, fill in the holes as best you can with remaining draft picks and UDFA, and let's roll.

Just now, Logic said:

I respectfully disagree. 

A completely rebuilt and filled out roster STILL won't crack 8 wins without a decent QB. That's a fact.

Get a QB, fill in the holes as best you can with remaining draft picks and UDFA, and let's roll.

No it is NOT a fact, it is your opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JM57 said:

Yeah.....but the dead cap goes away after the season. More veterans will be cut for more savings (ex Hughes, Clay and McCoy save about 18.5 million) and they have plenty of room already as it stands. 

How does that help us in 2018?  I don't think this Management team at OBD likes throwing big bucks at 5+ year veterans who are entering the injury prone portions of their careers.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

No it is NOT a fact, it is your opinion. 

I mean...did you see how much better our roster was under Rex Ryan? How many games did we win those years? Do you see us getting 9+ wins with McCarron or Peterman at QB? 

9 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

So you'd like more choices at rounds where the percentage of them being a good player substantially goes down?  Then you profess we'll definitely get an OT, G, LB, WR, CB and starting QB?  

In case you're still wondering, this post is pretty absurd. 

9 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I mean...did you see how much better our roster was under Rex Ryan? How many games did we win those years? Do you see us getting 9+ wins with McCarron or Peterman at QB? 

Rex Ryan is not applicable.  Rex Ryan was part of reason they were so bad.

And I see winning very few games under P5t5rman.  Not see enough to know with McCarron.

19 minutes ago, White Linen said:

So you'd like more choices at rounds where the percentage of them being a good player substantially goes down?  Then you profess we'll definitely get an OT, G, LB, WR, CB and starting QB?  

19 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I think Dawkins and Milano would disagree.

46 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

How does that help us in 2018?  I don't think this Management team at OBD likes throwing big bucks at 5+ year veterans who are entering the injury prone portions of their careers.

They are planning big picture at OBD. If 2018 is a punt/development year, I think they deal with it. 

They could follow the Rams/Eagles plan. They don't have to throw big bucks at anyone. You find guys who are talented but looking for a short term prove it deal, and you sign them to plug a hole for a year or two, develop the young talent, and let the vets walk.

Trouble is it would be a minimum of two years before the Bills could possibly find a QB ( 2019 not a good year for QBs). So all these 2 nds would be a year away from FA by the time the QB situation is even settled. This is the year to get a QB as it will be awhile if you don't. 

1 hour ago, Punt75 said:

If they trade Hughes, our DL is a wash too as well as C. I think some are way overvaluing Groy and Lotulelei and Shaq looks like a real bust. We might also think about garnering more future picks so we don't have so many guys needing that 2nd contract in the same year.

Edited by GreggTX

14 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

If they trade Hughes, our DL is a wash too as well as C. I think some are way overvaluing Groy and Lotulelei and Shaq looks like a real bust. We might also think about garnering more future picks so we don't have so many guys needing that 2nd contract in the same year.

So true!  Shaq IS a bust - another wasted #1 pick.