It is a Trade War- c Call It Whatever you want

Even worse, when you fight a war, you are weaker to the extent you are not united.  100% is great but unattainable.  60% is probably a minimum for successful war.  Our political leadership has a maximum of 40% on a great day and actually given Democratic non-support for any Trump initiative and a doctrinal non-support for a trade war among most GOP members, we probably are at 20% at best in the current trade tit for tat.

Quite frankly we are gonna lose any war we go into with such minimal support.  President Trump correctly identified today that we are gonna have some pain from China's moves in this war where the leadership is expecting us to endure pain with a clear majority opposed to this war.

If you're gonna lead and win then you have to unite your public.

Does anyone think we have intelligent leadership in this trade war? 

Does he really think that this

Time will tell.  It's been a passion of Trump's going all the way back to the 80's so it's no surprise to anybody who's paid attention he's not backing down.  Trump is extremely popular with Republicans so GOP members in Congress who are vehemently free trade will stay silent on Trump's crusade as the stock market will continue to be volatile.  Having said that, the price of soy milk better not go up for us lactose intolerant folks.

32 minutes ago, KingRex said:

Even worse, when you fight a war, you are weaker to the extent you are not united.  100% is great but unattainable.  60% is probably a minimum for successful war.  Our political leadership has a maximum of 40% on a great day and actually given Democratic non-support for any Trump initiative and a doctrinal non-support for a trade war among most GOP members, we probably are at 20% at best in the current trade tit for tat.

Quite frankly we are gonna lose any war we go into with such minimal support.  President Trump correctly identified today that we are gonna have some pain from China's moves in this war where the leadership is expecting us to endure pain with a clear majority opposed to this war.

If you're gonna lead and win then you have to unite your public.

Does anyone think we have intelligent leadership in this trade war? 

Does he really think that this

Calm down. No shots have yet to be fired. How many times do you people have to get sucked into Lucy's trick? Watch what happens, not what's said.

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Calm down. No shots have yet to be fired. How many times do you people have to get sucked into Lucy's trick? Watch what happens, not what's said.

I can understand how this could cause anxiety.  It worries me too.

Could it ultimately end well?  Maybe

Could it have catastrophic results?  Maybe

I heard today that our whiskey makers are going to suffer as a result of Chinese tariffs.  I'll do my part and stop at the liquor store on the way home for some good bourbon.  Win/win!  Anxiety mellowed, US company supported.

• Like (+1) 3

But in terms of what is communicated to the eventually voting public, what is said is what is happening.

Likewise with the stick market where the S&P has lost 3% since the beginning of the year, what is said is what's happening.

Sure you can choose to simply argue that nothing of import is happening, then you flat out disagree with Pres. Trump who in the recent past has cited the market improvement as a sign his policies are working or to day when the Pres cited the economic pain as small though significant because in the end it will work out.

The simple fact is that voters are motivated by "mere" words and mere words are what is happening.

One can try to argue that the elections do not happen until November, but this view ignores the fact one only gets one chance to make a first impression and the impression the media and the President have given the public has led to electoral results like the Alabama Senate race and the recent PA Congressional and even the WI Supreme race.

Historically, the sitting Pres loses seats in a mid-term.  O'Connell has stated the question is not whether the Nov. elections will be a hurricane but whether it will be Category 3, 4, or 5.

I agree with you they are only words, but in negotiations and elections words matter a lot.

Do you think we have good leadership in this Trade War?

Nobody's not calling it a trade war

Kudlow and Trump say its not a trade war .... yet.

1 hour ago, KingRex said:

But in terms of what is communicated to the eventually voting public, what is said is what is happening.

Likewise with the stick market where the S&P has lost 3% since the beginning of the year, what is said is what's happening.

Sure you can choose to simply argue that nothing of import is happening, then you flat out disagree with Pres. Trump who in the recent past has cited the market improvement as a sign his policies are working or to day when the Pres cited the economic pain as small though significant because in the end it will work out.

The simple fact is that voters are motivated by "mere" words and mere words are what is happening.

One can try to argue that the elections do not happen until November, but this view ignores the fact one only gets one chance to make a first impression and the impression the media and the President have given the public has led to electoral results like the Alabama Senate race and the recent PA Congressional and even the WI Supreme race.

Historically, the sitting Pres loses seats in a mid-term.  O'Connell has stated the question is not whether the Nov. elections will be a hurricane but whether it will be Category 3, 4, or 5.

I agree with you they are only words, but in negotiations and elections words matter a lot.

Do you think we have good leadership in this Trade War?

Nobody's not calling it a trade war

Kudlow and Trump say its not a trade war .... yet.

If your going to quote another poster use the quote function.

It will depend on whether Trump or Xi blinks first.

This is typical of Trump's business dealings.  He'll bluster all the way until he meets someone who doesn't put up with his bs, and then he backs down.

China's going to tariff our soybeans 25%?

They've got more than a billion mouths to feed.  Good luck with that.  If I were Brazil, I'd call China and sell them my soybeans for a 12% markup and then buy what I was going to use from the U.S.  Win-win for Brazil and U.S.  Bullet in China's foot.

Edit: I freely admit that I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to world trade.

Edited by snafu
  • Like (+1) 2

People need to realize we've been in a "trade war" with China ever since Nixon opened up trade with them. We've been on the short end of the stick because we wanted to be friendly and help them build a middle class. We've done that now, and believe me, the young people in the new cities with their air conditioned apartments, automobiles, 4k TV sets, cell phones, and Nike apparel won't go quietly back to the Hutongs. They have an extremely viable middle class now and there's no turning back. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

People need to realize we've been in a "trade war" with China ever since Nixon opened up trade with them. We've been on the short end of the stick because we wanted to be friendly and help them build a middle class. We've done that now, and believe me, the young people in the new cities with their air conditioned apartments, automobiles, 4k TV sets, cell phones, and Nike apparel won't go quietly back to the Hutongs. They have an extremely viable middle class now and there's no turning back. 

Agreed. This is why China needs to expand its trade,  its acquisition of natural resources, and push past its borders in an aggressive way.  There are too many people in China who need to be employed and fed. The huge population shift from the Chinese boondocks to their cities aggravates the pressure to keep their economy chugging along.  They're either going to create an international conflict (intentionally or unintentionally), or some day their economy will eventually collapse.  Either way, it won't be pretty.