The Top 5 Most Polarizing Figures in Buffalo Bills History

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Not even remotely a certainty.

The colts killed the Bills with flutie at the helm and he played like garbage.  Johnson shredded the same team albeit late in the season.

The Titans then beat the colts after beating the Bills to move on in the playoffs. 

Flutie twice had QBRs in the 30s facing good defenses, so it is just as probable Flutie would have been shut out vs that titans defense. 

Rob Johnson would have beaten the Titans and the Colts

OP...this is a really interesting topic! 

I have not read through four pages of responses but I would NOT include OJ Simpson on the list. He was beloved when he was with the Bills, and his issues, some twenty years after he left Buffalo really shouldn't make him a 'polarizing' factor. (although maybe the mere fact that I have to type this...proves me wrong)

My immediate thoughts went to Ralph Wilson for keeping the team while being called cheap, Wade Phillips for benching Flutie, and Rex Ryan for...you know.  And maybe Mario and/or Jason Peters for them clearing dissing Buffalo.

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

OP...this is a really interesting topic! 

I have not read through four pages of responses but I would NOT include OJ Simpson on the list. He was beloved when he was with the Bills, and his issues, some twenty years after he left Buffalo really shouldn't make him a 'polarizing' factor. (although maybe the mere fact that I have to type this...proves me wrong)

My immediate thoughts went to Ralph Wilson for keeping the team while being called cheap, Wade Phillips for benching Flutie, and Rex Ryan for...you know.  And maybe Mario and/or Jason Peters for them clearing dissing Buffalo.

Thank you brother.  I agree with you 100% to not include OJ on the list for those same reasons.   I also don’t feel that Flutie is as polarizing as some has said, and that Whaley is far more polarizing, but that’s what makes these topics so much fun

The Jills should be polarizing, except that everyone has turned gay.

I apologize I just couldn't resist. Which means I did it on purpose, because it makes me laugh. So I'm not really apologizing I guess, but I don't mean it in any way at all except as something I thought was both funny and polarizing. But maybe it isn't even polarizing because it will be everyone against me. 

Anyway let's put that all behind us and move forward in a positive direction.

I vote for Flutie because nobody else has a lingering after effect for that long. "The Flutie Curse". That was commonly mentioned as recently as last year.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Thank you brother.  I agree with you 100% to not include OJ on the list for those same reasons.   I also don’t feel that Flutie is as polarizing as some has said, and that Whaley is far more polarizing, but that’s what makes these topics so much fun

Whaley?  I am not sure he is polarizing. It seems to me that consensus is that he was not all that good for the team even though I think everyone wanted him to be.  The same could be said for Rex Ryan.

3 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I vote for Flutie because nobody else has a lingering after effect for that long. "The Flutie Curse". That was commonly mentioned as recently as last year.

BadLands

Flutie was not the cause of the curse. Wade Phillips was the cause of the curse.  Flutie did not bench himself!

2 minutes ago, The Drought said:

The next ex-Bill to sign with the Pats will become the most polarizing player, even if just for 15 minutes here.

I have a gut feeling the QB they pick in three weeks is almost certainly going to be joining the list!

Going way back....Daryl Lamonica was a polarizing figure when he left Buffalo for Oakland...only to outperform every Bills QB from that point on. (But....I'm old!)

5 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm guessing that your list is influenced by your youth which means there are Bills that you know little about.  My five in no particular order and maybe it should be 10.

Jim Kelly.  Today he is revered but when he came in 1986 many thought he was haughty among other things.  Too good for the local folk.  Then there was the bickering Bills of which many thought the blame laid with Jim and a fair amount of it was resentment that Jim was doing well and quite a few were not.

Fred Smerlas.  In order to even play the game you have to have a high degree of bravado and determination.  Associated with that often is being opinionated and Fred never lacked for an opinion.  It was put out years ago that Fred talked his way off the team after having increasing hostility emerge from players such as Chris Burkett.  Love him or hate him Fred was a leader and if he were on the SB 25 team the outcome may have been different.

Ralph C Wilson.

Lou Saban.  His AFL Championship teams created a permanent loyalty from WNY and his exit during the mid 1970's placed a spotlight on one of Ralph's least desirable qualities in being a team owner.

Cookie Glichrist.  Outspoken and simply out there.  The team's earliest encounter with a free spirit who barely functioned in terms of team protocols.

You picked 4 that I would have (I don't remember allot of polarization over Smerlas)

Haughty Jim Kelly spurned the cold weather city of Buffalo for the Houston gamblers. Luckily for all of us, he developed into the great he is today.

Ralph was cheap. At some point he reached an epiphany and realized he couldn't run the club like a Triple-A team that he initially thought he had.

Cookie, well is Cookie. I think Marshawn Lynch and Cookie are related.

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Whaley?  I am not sure he is polarizing. It seems to me that consensus is that he was not all that good for the team even though I think everyone wanted him to be.  The same could be said for Rex Ryan.

BadLands

Flutie was not the cause of the curse. Wade Phillips was the cause of the curse.  Flutie did not bench himself!

As someone who is not a Whaley fan, I have to disagree.  There are many whaley defenders on the board here alone who feel that he was a good GM and that he drafted well.  It used to surprise me but I’m used to it by now.  If you’d like I can tag you in on the comments.  People love Doug Whaley for some reason

1 minute ago, boater said:

You picked 4 that I would have (I don't remember allot of polarization over Smerlas)

Haughty Jim Kelly spurned the cold weather city of Buffalo for the Houston gamblers. Luckily for all of us, he developed into the great he is today.

Ralph was cheap. At some point he reached an epiphany and realized he couldn't run the club like a Triple-A team that he initially thought he had.

Cookie, well is Cookie. I think Marshawn Lynch and Cookie are related.

Maybe so, but in 2018 no one is talking about Cookie Gilchrest or Marshawn Lynch.  

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have a gut feeling the QB they pick in three weeks is almost certainly going to be joining the list!

Going way back....Daryl Lamonica was a polarizing figure when he left Buffalo for Oakland...only to outperform every Bills QB from that point on. (But....I'm old!)

I was just going to post that both AJ and the rookie might share the title for a little while.

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

Possibly greatest player in team history .... Homicidal maniac.

I'd put him at #1

Eh.... don’t you feel that in 2018, most people think of OJ as a villain?  There’s so much negativity now that he doesn’t have he support he once did.  For that reason he’s not on my list

6 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

... That's why I'm putting together this list of the Top 5 Polarizing Figures in Buffalo Bills history.  ...

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

...Maybe so, but in 2018 no one is talking about Cookie Gilchrest or Marshawn Lynch.  

Bad professor. Changing the original assignment after it was assigned.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Ok Ill be doing Hits and Misses on Doug whaley and I’ll be sure to tag you.  Many like yourself feel that Whaley was a great GM despite the losing record and poor draft history he put up 

When you do that, please keep in mind that of all GMs who were GMs while Whaley was a GM ... not one has more draft picks who are still in the NFL today.  Whaley's percentage is highest.

And I said very good.  Not great.  There is a difference.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

BadLands

I think old man Ralph forced Wade to bench Flutie... fwiw

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

When you do that, please keep in mind that of all GMs who were GMs while Whaley was a GM ... not one has more draft picks who are still in the NFL today.  Whaley's percentage is highest.

And I said very good.  Not great.  There is a difference.

That’s not true... find the source of this information.

Also take a look at whaley’s drafts and consider the contributions that his players made to the Bills.  They were minimal at best

also you are contradicting yourself and proving the exact reason why Whaley is so polarizing.  He was a bad GM yet people like you are making excuses for him

Edited by BuffaloRush

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I 100% agree with your listing. Although nate Peterman fans have been straight wrecking me lately. 

Where was the love for Levi brown??

Nate definitely is polarizing but I’d say at this point he has more detractors than supporters.  He’s no Doug Whaley