The Top 5 Most Polarizing Figures in Buffalo Bills History

3 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

Clear #1

I don't think OJ ever caused polarization among the fans. When he played and up until the murders, everybody loved him. After his trial, everybody hated him. Consensus hero to consensus villain. While it's true those are polar opposite extremes, he never caused polarization among fans in terms of our opinions about him. 

12 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I don't think OJ ever caused polarization among the fans. When he played and up until the murders, everybody loved him. After his trial, everybody hated him. Consensus hero to consensus villain. While it's true those are polar opposite extremes, he never caused polarization among fans in terms of our opinions about him. 

I was in a waiting room at Sisters Hospital when the verdict was read. Half of the waiting room was cheering.  Meanwhile, there was a middle-aged white woman next to me who was literally crying saying, "I can't believe this".  I can't say any other Bills player has elicited that wide of a range of emotions.

3 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Lol. How do you author a thread, encourage people to talk about a topic that is neither here nor there (which personally I think is kinda silly but to each their own by all means) and then totally shoot down and dismiss someone elses opinion and matter of factly state you are correct?!?! If you choose to play host of the thread that's up to you, but to ask for opinions and then just shoot em down and bluntly dismiss them isn't a good look.

If u wanna start these threads, dont be that guy on top of it.

ESPECIALLY when there is no right answer!!!

And, to avoid the I didnt give my opinion retort - Flutie captivated Buffalo in a way only OJ has done and that was more national and for the wrong reasons. The fact that all these years later people still disagree with the decision in that titans game lends credence to this argument. Whaley has the sammy trade and now a days - who cares?

+1 for Flutie.

Go check out his threads on historical GM grades. He isn't about the conversation. He just creates threads and shuts down dialogue. This is just another in a long list. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Disagree.  I think that the majority of Bills fans disagree more with the other 4 on the list above Flutie.  Whaley is a clear #1

I think you might be misinterpreting what polarizing means.  It means that it divides the fan base.  Doug Whaley divides fan base much more than Doug Flutie does - as do the other 4 on the list 

Whitey?

Whaley is number one for people between the ages of 9 and 14.

Other than recency, TT and Gilmore don't even move the needle.  In 10 years neither of them will be a fan favorite nor will they be hated.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

I was in a waiting room at Sisters Hospital when the verdict was read. Half of the waiting room was cheering.  Meanwhile, there was a middle-aged white woman next to me who was literally crying saying, "I can't believe this".  I can't say any other Bills player has elicited that wide of a range of emotions.

Ah, good point. I wasn't thinking in terms of the racial polarization he caused at the time of his verdict. I stand corrected. 

29 minutes ago, Mango said:

Go check out his threads on historical GM grades. He isn't about the conversation. He just creates threads and shuts down dialogue. This is just another in a long list. 

I don’t shut down any dialogue.  I state my opinion.  If you don’t like what I have to say, that’s your problem.  

31 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

Very true but a lot more information has been released since 1995.  We also know some of the bizarre things OJ has done since then, including nearly a decade long stint for armed robbery.  I think that many of the people who were crying tears of joy might have a different view now

33 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Russ Brandon

Yep good selection.  I left Russ off the list because I dont feel there’s too many defending him.  Most either are indifferent or don’t like the guy.  There’s not too much love for Russ

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Very true but a lot more information has been released since 1995.  We also know some of the bizarre things OJ has done since then, including nearly a decade long stint for armed robbery.  I think that many of the people who were crying tears of joy might have a different view now

I think this is why you have so many new people on your list.  You're only considering what people think now - not how people felt at the time when each of these controversies was at its height.  

On a related topic and with an equally simplistic approach I think the most controversial Sesame Street character is Mr. Snuffleupogous because nobody is sure if he is real.  

It isn't even close really.  Sure Ernie and Bert have that thing going on, not that there is anything wrong with that, and Oscar is just a flat out prick most of the time.  But they are real.  Snuffy?  Who knows?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

I think this is why you have so many new people on your list.  You're only considering what people think now - not how people felt at the time when each of these controversies was at its height.  

Well I should clarify.... it’s more polarizing for the current time.  How fans feel in 2018.   I feel that’s the best way to do it.  The whole “how people felt at the height the controversies” is way too hard to quantify 

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

On a related topic and with an equally simplistic approach I think the most controversial Sesame Street character is Mr. Snuffleupogous because nobody is sure if he is real.  

It isn't even close really.  Sure Ernie and Bert have that thing going on, not that there is anything wrong with that, and Oscar is just a flat out prick most of the time.  But they are real.  Snuffy?  Who knows?

Cringeworthy material like this give fans in this forum a bad name.  

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Well I should clarify.... it’s more polarizing for the current time.  How fans feel in 2018.   I feel that’s the best way to do it.  The whole “how people felt at the height the controversies” is way too hard to quantify 

We can't quantify any of this....

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I defend Whaley all the time because I think he was a very good GM.  But I also (like 99% of people) realize that he chained himself to EJ for too long and it (along with the Pegulas) was the death of him.

But I cannot think of anyone who thinks Whaley was an awesome GM.

There are a lot of people (unbelievably) who think Flutie is the best QB since Kelly.  And there are just as many people who think he sucked and was bad for the team.

It's not even a contest, as to who the most divisive Bills figure has been.  And Flutie had the gift of dividing the locker room as much as he did the fan base.

Ok Ill be doing Hits and Misses on Doug whaley and I’ll be sure to tag you.  Many like yourself feel that Whaley was a great GM despite the losing record and poor draft history he put up 

4 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Right this entire thread is polarizing which is why we are all entitled to our opinions.  I will stand by mine - in 2018 Doug Whaley is a more devisive figure than Doug Whaley

So, "Most Polarizing Figures in Buffalo Bills History" means most polarizing right now, in 2018?

3 minutes ago, Robert James said:

So, "Most Polarizing Figures in Buffalo Bills History" means most polarizing right now, in 2018?

Yes exactly.  Why is it so hard to understand.  That’s like the The Greatest QB’s of All-Time list.  It’s the greatest QB’s as of 2018.  

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Removing OJ from the wall is a joke. He belongs there and should be on the next stadiums wall.

Flutie is #1. We would have went to the Super Bowl and likely won that year with our defense. 

Not even remotely a certainty.

The colts killed the Bills with flutie at the helm and he played like garbage.  Johnson shredded the same team albeit late in the season.

The Titans then beat the colts after beating the Bills to move on in the playoffs. 

Flutie twice had QBRs in the 30s facing good defenses, so it is just as probable Flutie would have been shut out vs that titans defense. 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Not even remotely a certainty.

The colts killed the Bills with flutie at the helm and he played like garbage.  Johnson shredded the same team albeit late in the season.

The Titans then beat the colts after beating the Bills to move on in the playoffs. 

Flutie twice had QBRs in the 30s facing good defenses, so it is just as probable Flutie would have been shut out vs that titans defense. 

Yep it’s far from a lock to assume Flutie would win