The Bills rebuild with a trade-down after an early run on QB

10 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You've become the chairman and CEO of the "avoid a QB" TSW cottage industry.

Congratulations on your promotion.

That is just silly and being a troll.  I am not if favor of trading way up past a few spots to get a QB but would not "avoid a QB" if it got us a very good QB.  So just stop that line of attack.

3 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Probably not.  A number of average QB's have won superbowls, but it is unlikely. If one of the top 4 (5?) doesn't drop to #12, we may be a year or two away from finding the guy.  One thing I will challenge you with:   Please show how the present roster (those other 21 guys on the field) is going to be able to be carried along by a God-like QB.  We would be playing with backups from  a 8-8 / 9-7 lucky team and free agents that were released from other teams.  That is NOT going to go very far.

We have pretty much the same roster as last year. D line has been upgraded, pass rush and run stuffing. Lb's we lost Preston. tackle 5 yards downfield, brown. Ok so we are weaker a MLB. Secondary will be the same minus GAines adding Davis. Oline should be the same even losing Wood and replacing with groy. I love Wood but lets face it he was pushed around a lot last year. Wr was bad last year and is bad this year same players. Running game is still stout possibly better this year. We were a playoff team with tyrod. We probably would have won the Jacks game with a competent qb back there. So lets say on the high end we trade our whole draft to get into the top 4. every draft pick to take one of those top 4 qbs we are still in better shape than we were last year with Taylor with any of those 4 guys. We do have a lot of holes that need upgrades I agree but if we don't fill this qb this year we are in trouble unless aj is a diamond in the rough.

Just now, maryland-bills-fan said:

That is just silly and being a troll.  I am not if favor of trading way up past a few spots to get a QB but would not "avoid a QB" if it got us a very good QB.  So just stop that line of attack.

Then you're just willfully ignoring the fact that 4 QB will be gone likely in the top 10, and I'll bet upwards of 6 in the first round.

So who do you like? Falk?

:lol:

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Everything.

I'd trade the whole !@#$ing draft if I had to. It's that important. I'm tired of "run the ball and stop the run we play in cold weather" mindset.

Half the league (including New England, Green Bay and Seattle) play in cold weather and have excellent passing games.

Very good. At least you’re on record. Here’s a thought...would you trade #12 and Shady for the chance to move up? Remember, the trade doesn’t have to be all draft picks.

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Very good. At least you’re on record. Here’s a thought...would you trade #12 and Shady for the chance to move up? Remember, the trade doesn’t have to be all draft picks.

Absolutely.

100%, where do I sign up?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The interesting part of this scenario is that Bills fans probably won’t know if it was a decent move until over a year from now. If I’m reading everyone correctly McCarron is going to be the starter in 2018. So the big question is how they’ll do with a re-fortified set of young players around him. This dream rookie is going to be holding a clipboard.

If the bills get one of the top 4 qbs in this draft Aj will not be the starter all year unless he shows something nobody has ever seen out of him before and he looks amazing.  

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If you get to a situation where the Browns go QB at #1, the Giants do at #2, the Jets do at #3.... the Browns refuse to trade out of #4 and then Broncos go QB at #5 I would happily trade back from #12.  I just don't think there is any chance that the scenario plays out.  

I don't think the broncos would go QB at 5.  The 4th best QB or a top dog pass rusher?  Or even trading down to try and address both pass rush and pass protection.

6 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

From 10 - 3 before Rosen, UCLA went to 8 - 5, 4 - 8, and 6 - 7 with Rosen.

One guy doesn't make a team.

Oh yes he does.  Who needs stinking offensive linemen.  Star QB wetdream isn't bothered by blitzers because he throws to a 6th round WR for a 60 yard gain every time he touches the ball.   The other teams running backs don't run past the backup linebackers on the field because they are scared of the star QB and have given up.  Yep, all you need is a QB. .... He does everything and sells beer during TV commercial breaks.   (sic)

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The interesting part of this scenario is that Bills fans probably won’t know if it was a decent move until over a year from now. If I’m reading everyone correctly McCarron is going to be the starter in 2018. So the big question is how they’ll do with a re-fortified set of young players around him. This dream rookie is going to be holding a clipboard.

He's only the starter if you don't land Rosen or Mayfield IMO.  If you land one of those two, it will be a very tight competition.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

If you consider the context of the Bills decisions since the 2017 draft, it’s pretty clear that they didn’t make all those moves only to trade back down in the draft.  While this idea makes sense on paper - there’s a 0% chance of this happening consider they traded up to #12.

They dumped an over the hill redundant offensive tackle and got a better draft pick.  They could do a lot of things with that improvement. Trading further up in the 1st round is just one of them.

1 minute ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Oh yes he does.  Who needs stinking offensive linemen.  Star QB wetdream isn't bothered by blitzers because he throws to a 6th round WR for a 60 yard gain every time he touches the ball.   The other teams running backs don't run past the backup linebackers on the field because they are scared of the star QB and have given up.  Yep, all you need is a QB. .... He does everything and sells beer during TV commercial breaks.   (sic)

on the flip side you could have a top flight offensive line who gives you all day to throw but with 10 seconds in the pocket to find the opewn receiver tyrod has checked down for a 2 yard gain

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

If the bills get one of the top 4 qbs in this draft Aj will not be the starter all year unless he shows something nobody has ever seen out of him before and he looks amazing.  

If the Bills are hovering around they’re typical one game above .500 and are still in the hunt will they sit AJ down?

1 minute ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

You're acting as if we have no offensive linemen. There was a post here recently that showed that the Bills had one of the more effective OL in the NFL. Sorry man, but your opinion is wrong.

1 minute ago, Wsam4031 said:

on the flip side you could have a top flight offensive line who gives you all day to throw but with 10 seconds in the pocket to find the opewn receiver tyrod has checked down for a 2 yard gain

and missed a wide open KB standing with his hands up in the end zoone

Just now, maryland-bills-fan said:

They dumped an over the hill redundant offensive tackle and got a better draft pick.  They could do a lot of things with that improvement. Trading further up in the 1st round is just one of them.

Lets make a bet.  I will bet you $50 that they don’t trade down.  That’s how confident I feel that they aren’t moving down.  Are we on?  

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

If the Bills are hovering around they’re typical one game above .500 and are still in the hunt will they sit AJ down?

if they trade into the top 6 and grab one of the top 4 qbs.. Yes hands down

48 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

I wouldn't trade down for the simple fact that the bills have alot of picks in this draft to begin with.  

I am torn about swinging for the fences and trading away said picks...but the bills do need to find an answer at QB.  Its been far to long.  

Agreed, if the top 4 are off the board before the Bills are able to do anything (for whatever reason), that will mean that some good position players drop, and I'd prefer they stay put, grab the best LB or DT (yes, yes, I get it, they are not QBs and we need a QB, but in this scenario, we've accepted that we didn't get one), and gauge whether Lamar Jackson will drop (or even do their best to move up from 22 to 13 or 14, which might not cost much), then grab a WR and RB in the 2nd, or if a CB is dropping (if there's anyplace I truly trust the process with McBeane, it's defensive backs). 

3 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

if they trade into the top 6 and grab one of the top 4 qbs.. Yes hands down

Well to answer my own question, I guess it’ll all depend on how AJ has looked and who everyone thinks will have been most responsible for the five or so losses at that point.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks....I’ve been wondering about that sort of thing myself. The Patriots just traded a top WR to move up.

Nope. The Pats are evil magic.  They traded him off for a higher draft pick and have a replacement cast-off from another team who will step right in and be another Hogan  /  Edelman.   Guy who were given up on by other teams and who are now starters for a top-notch team.   Look at the Pat's drafts.  Last year: DE, DE, OT, OT. .......    2016  CB,  OL,  QB, NT...........2015   DT, S, DE/LB, DE..................2014   (DL , 2nd Round – Jimmy Garoppolo (QB,
(OL (RB,  (OT, o (G, (DE,  (DB, WR,