O-Line Concerns, how many new starters on Bills O-Line in 2018?

How many new starters on Bills 2018 OLine?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How many new starters on Bills 2018 OLine?

• 2 - Center and what position?
    • 3 - Center and what positions?
    • 4 - Surprise Cut or trade means change at LT or LG
    • 1 - just center, OBD playing a pat hand

5 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Oh, I am so down for Tyrell Crosby. A real process type with a mean streak, I absolutely adore him.

I'm just not sure how early we end up picking if they draft a QB via trade-up.

I'm also in on Crosby--love the length and demeanor.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Oh, I am so down for Tyrell Crosby. A real process type with a mean streak, I absolutely adore him.

I'm just not sure how early we end up picking if they draft a QB via trade-up.

Depends on this Allen/Darnold at #1 thing I think. Latest I think we'd pick would be 56. If we do go QB (trade-up), OT, then LB will probably be addressed with some combo of Leonard, Warner, McCray, and Burks in rounds 4-6.

If I had to guess, of course.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Depends on this Allen/Darnold at #1 thing I think. Latest I think we'd pick would be 56. If we do go QB (trade-up), OT, then LB will probably be addressed with some combo of Leonard, Warner, McCray, and Burks in rounds 4-6.

If I had to guess, of course.

I'm 98% confident that Sam Darnold is the #1 pick. After that, I have absolutely no idea. That Thursday is going to be carnage.

Considering that I have a borderline 1st round grade on Crosby, I'd happily take him if there's a pick left over in the 2nd or the top of the 3rd.

9 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Bodine has his '18 base salary guaranteed so he's probably on the 53-man in pen already. Having witnessed Russell Bodine play Center before, I bloody hope he doesn't start. I'm sure he's a nice dude but that boy is a train wreck.

I wouldn't exactly rule it out if you're trying to use the 'best five' idea with the OL. I remain staunchly interested in Ryan Groy at RT, as unlikely as it is. Athletically, I think he's got some very strong correlation to some very good OT's.

This is why the Bodine thing has me so puzzled.  How could he start for the Bengals for 4 years straight?

I know CIN got rid of their OL Coach and got Frank Pollack from the Cowboys.

Bodine can probably handle the G/C reserve role until something better comes along but Jeez after Ritchie he is the highest paid OL player!

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

This is why the Bodine thing has me so puzzled.  How could he start for the Bengals for 4 years straight?

I know CIN got rid of their OL Coach and got Frank Pollack from the Cowboys.

Bodine can probably handle the G/C reserve role until something better comes along but Jeez after Ritchie he is the highest paid OL player!

I think someone in that building was being pig-headed. They traded up to get Bodine and they just decided not to address it. I guess it's easy to think that you're getting value for money when his rookie deal averages less than $700k/year. I still have flashbacks to their game against the Jets a couple years ago. Steve McLendon absolutely bulldozed him for 60 minutes.

I guess the positive is that he's been durable and has 64 starts under his belt. Coming in off the bench, he's not going to be some wide-eyed rookie. I would be very surprised if he started and not at all surprised if they eat the $500k guaranteed for '19 fairly quickly after the '18 season.

2 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I think someone in that building was being pig-headed. They traded up to get Bodine and they just decided not to address it. I guess it's easy to think that you're getting value for money when his rookie deal averages less than $700k/year. I still have flashbacks to their game against the Jets a couple years ago. Steve McLendon absolutely bulldozed him for 60 minutes.

I guess the positive is that he's been durable and has 64 starts under his belt. Coming in off the bench, he's not going to be some wide-eyed rookie. I would be very surprised if he started and not at all surprised if they eat the $500k guaranteed for '19 fairly quickly after the '18 season.

Mostly agree...I do like that Bodine gives the team a safety net for 2019 in the event that DisGROYer leaves in UFA and they don't already have a young replacement in the fold.

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Mostly agree...I do like that Bodine gives the team a safety net for 2019 in the event that DisGROYer leaves in UFA and they don't already have a young replacement in the fold.

It's some safety net though.

"Jump out of the window and we'll catch you"

"But you just laid more concrete on top of the concrete. This isn't how this work"

• Haha (+1) 1

they have three bullets at right tackle.  Mills we know, Newhouse has been bouncing around the league but still might be an upgrade form mills and Connor McDermott who has a little buzz coming out of last years draft .  The Bills used a roster spot all year for him so presumably they see something.    Center will probably take a step back ? how big I would bet not as big as one might think.   What to make of Miller , will a power scheme and one more year in the league turning him into at least an average guard ? or will they spend a third round pick to upgrade.   

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I also am hoping McDermott can make a big move in camp/preseason and secure RT.

My big question would be who is dressing as "reserve swing tackle"?  I see this as a potential nightmare.

If Dawkins goes down who fills in, Newhouse?  Mills has only played RT.

Is Bodine the "reserve G/C?.  Do we dress 7 or 8?

I keep hearing about McDermott, who is he?  They appear to be pretty high on him UDFA?

2 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

He's a big, square dude with limited athletic ability but really sharp with solid technique and power. The switch to a more zone-based scheme hurt him because he just doesn't have the mobility to fully execute a lot of outside zone principles. With it seeming that the Bills will be running a lot more man/power concepts under Brian Daboll, we're going to be back firmly in Miller's wheelhouse.

I'm not sure if getting benched has caused any drop in confidence or belief for John. I really hope that it hasn't because he's a really solid starter at his best. If you can keep him head-up on a defender, executing a lot of down blocks and keep his movement limited to the odd playside pull, he's capable of moving Vlad to the discarded pile.

Thank you. You are illuminating.

I see only two. A new center and Miller wins back the RG spot.  Mills is just above average for a back-up but there is no one else on the roster to put up much of a challenge.  Draft is awful for OT and they have too many other spots to address.  

9 minutes ago, Herb62 said:

I keep hearing about McDermott, who is he?  They appear to be pretty high on him UDFA?

OT Conor McDermott.  He was drafted by NE in the 6th round in 2017 and Bill's picked him off of waivers.

He moved between Practice Squad and Main Team a couple times during the year.

Hopefully he put some weight on and got stronger in the off season.

3 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

He's a big, square dude with limited athletic ability but really sharp with solid technique and power. The switch to a more zone-based scheme hurt him because he just doesn't have the mobility to fully execute a lot of outside zone principles. With it seeming that the Bills will be running a lot more man/power concepts under Brian Daboll, we're going to be back firmly in Miller's wheelhouse.

I'm not sure if getting benched has caused any drop in confidence or belief for John. I really hope that it hasn't because he's a really solid starter at his best. If you can keep him head-up on a defender, executing a lot of down blocks and keep his movement limited to the odd playside pull, he's capable of moving Vlad to the discarded pile.

Agree 100%......excellent take.