Did Mills sabotage Peterman's start due to his anger over TT benching?

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

Maybe Mills was upset that TT wasnt there to elude thus making him look even worse than he is!

Mills is lucky that no challenger has emerged for the RT job.  If Glenn had stayed healthy last season, he would have likely been benched for Dawkins. 

1 minute ago, Putin said:

Do you think anyone of the top 4 rookie QB’s in this draft could have succeeded in that same situation?  

I think they could have avoided throwing up allover themselves and soiling their pants.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Putin said:

Do you think anyone of the top 4 rookie QB’s in this draft could have succeeded in that same situation?  

They'd probably do better.

Peterman was never considered in that level of a prospect for a reason. It's not just a sudden awakening by teams to the fact the position is important, and now it's highly coveted. He just isn't as good of a prospect, and probably won't be a better QB than any of them who go in the first this year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

They'd probably do better.

Peterman was never considered in that level of a prospect for a reason. It's not just a sudden awakening by teams to the fact the position is important, and now it's highly coveted. He just isn't as good of a prospect, and probably won't be a better QB than any of them who go in the first this year.

You think Rosen could have withstood that pounding? I don’t.

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

You think Rosen could have withstood that pounding? I don’t.

So you're saying you like Peterman better than Rosen?

I don't even understand the point of these arguments. Believe what you want, I'd take Rosen in any and every situation over Peterman, including that SD game. 

Continue if you want, but once people go down this far on excuses or frivolous reasons to support their points, it just becomes not even worth the time. You want to think something despite all common sense pointing to the contrary.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MTBill said:

IIRC - it seems like they started with running plays, moved the ball some, didn't score, but when he did his first (or second) pass attempt it was a pick 6.  Being lazy and not looking up the box score.

All that said - I totally agree with what you're laying down.  Peterman failed - and was failed by his OC.  What I thought was ridiculous was how long they left him in.  After the 3rd pick, he should have been lifted.  At that point you are sort of adding insult to injury and your point is lost.  The fact they left him in for 2 more picks - was like they were just trying to communicate to Tyrod - We really REALLY don't want you here.  Badly enough that we're willing to sacrifice our rookie prospect.

Yeah, sorry. I was posting while at work, and didn't care to dig it up. That's why I added the "IIRC"...clearly I did not :\

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

So you're saying you like Peterman better than Rosen?

I don't even understand the point of these arguments. Believe what you want, I'd take Rosen in any and every situation over Peterman, including that SD game. 

Continue if you want, but once people go down this far on excuses or frivolous reasons to support their points, it just becomes not even worth the time. You want to think something despite all common sense pointing to the contrary.

No, I implied that there was a good chance Rosen would have been injured in that game behind that offensive line. He has a slight build and has not proved to be very durable.

7 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

No, I implied that there was a good chance Rosen would have been injured in that game behind that offensive line. He has a slight build and has not proved to be very durable.

And Peterman threw 5 picks, and got a concussion in his second game... So their goes your durability argument.

So now you're arguing a point on the behalf of an argument you don't even believe in.

I'll take my chances with Rosen, any game, any situation over Peterman.

Peterman in LA getting hurt wouldn't have hurt the team. It wouldn't in any situation when you are throwing 5 picks. So was your point then that Peterman would be the better option in LA because Rosen might have gotten hurt? Despite the fact that his healthy half of football was potentially the worst half of QB play since the merger?

Edited by Ol Dirty B
Still calling LA, SD
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

And Peterman threw 5 picks, and got a concussion in his second game... So their goes your durability argument.

So now you're arguing a point on the behalf of an argument you don't even believe in.

I'll take my chances with Rosen, any game, any situation over Peterman.

Peterman in SD getting hurt wouldn't have hurt the team. It wouldn't in any situation when you are throwing 5 picks. So was your point then that Peterman would be the better option in SD because Rosen might have gotten hurt? Despite the fact that his healthy half of football was potentially the worst half of QB play since the merger?

Too bad he didn't go to San Diego while the rest of the team was in LA. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Lfod said:

I actually like Peterman a bit more after that video. The guy commented that Peterman was making correct reads and attempting to throw with anticipation. 

Not in denial that he made mistakes. He should of taken sacks instead but if it was Petermans first NFL game and he was trying to do too much. 

Two points :

• OK. It was his first start, so we aren't supposed to count it. This is what NP did post-Chargers  :  12-28,  43% 121 yds  4.32 ypa  1 td  1 int  2 fumbles.  Feel better?
  • Making correct reads? Throwing with anticipation? Peterman wasn't "trying to do too much". He was throwing-up blind prayers - and those prayers were rag-arm wounded ducks. How in God's name does Nathan Peterman get credit for being a decisive clear-thinking razor-sharp football mind when he's probably made more idiotic decisions per play than any other NFL player in living memory? There seems to be an awful lot of football virtues which NP has acquired by default - without a scintilla of evidence, way beyond even wishful thinking, just by default. 
  • Like (+1) 1

Hard to prove.  I think what is clear is that while Peterman made some bad decision, he also didn't have a lot of help in that game, and he does some good things.  That does not make him deserving of being a starter, but it might be premature to write him off completely.

29 minutes ago, grb said:

Two points :

• OK. It was his first start, so we aren't supposed to count it. This is what NP did post-Chargers  :  12-28,  43% 121 yds  4.32 ypa  1 td  1 int  2 fumbles.  Feel better?
  • Making correct reads? Throwing with anticipation? Peterman wasn't "trying to do too much". He was throwing-up blind prayers - and those prayers were rag-arm wounded ducks. How in God's name does Nathan Peterman get credit for being a decisive clear-thinking razor-sharp football mind when he's probably made more idiotic decisions per play than any other NFL player in living memory? There seems to be an awful lot of football virtues which NP has acquired by default - without a scintilla of evidence, way beyond even wishful thinking, just by default. 

Go check out the video. I was just commenting on his analysis. I was just trying to see some positives. This wasn't my opinion, it was the the person breaking down the videos opinion. 

I'm not very optimistic about the offense next year to be honest. We have a new OC a new system and a brand new backup QB to be our starter. I'm trying to see any positive I can right now.

You disagree with the breakdown and analysis in the video that's fine. I'm not going to crusade for Peterman. 

That 2nd game wasn't in a blizzard or wasn't a low scoring game for both teams or anything.

Edited by Lfod

44 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Go check out the video. I was just commenting on his analysis. I was just trying to see some positives. This wasn't my opinion, it was the the person breaking down the videos opinion. 

I'm not very optimistic about the offense next year to be honest. We have a new OC a new system and a brand new backup QB to be our starter. I'm trying to see any positive I can right now.

You disagree with the breakdown and analysis in the video that's fine. I'm not going to crusade for Peterman. 

That 2nd game wasn't in a blizzard or wasn't a low scoring game for both teams or anything.

Why does the bolded only apply to the Colts game? That's the way you make it seem. You say you're not crusading for Peterman, yet like all the others who do... You kind of sound like someone crusading for Peterman.

He doesn't do that in pristine weather. 

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Why does the bolded only apply to the Colts game? That's the way you make it seem. You say you're not crusading for Peterman, yet like all the others who do... You kind of sound like someone crusading for Peterman.

He doesn't do that in pristine weather. 

If we are talking about Peterman becoming the starter of the Bills and leading them to many glorious victories then no, I can't argue in favor of that. I would agree the chances of that happening are slim to none. I won't say your wrong or anybody else who has written him off completely. 

If we are talking about a later round drafted QB put in a very difficult situation to actually succeed on an underperforming offense in his first year in the NFL. I would have to say yes I think that even if others disagree. 

If we are talking about the reason for him starting in the first place was because the offense was under performing, I would have to say yes that was the reason.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2017/10/26/16552372/buffalo-bills-converting-turnovers-into-points-interceptions-fumbles-scoring-offense&ved=2ahUKEwiT86azo47aAhWjuVkKHfNCDwQQFjACegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1efyUuOU8DgWtdXQR6kQLO&ampcf=1

Now you stick a late round rookie QB on and underperforming offence that can't take advantage of multiple extra opportunitys to score. Panthers and Jaguars are both 3 point offensive games. Pun intended. Saints 56 yard game. We got destroyed by the Jets. 

I'm not saying much other then the guy wasn't put in a favorable situation. You can think that sticking any of the top QBs in this draft in that same situation as Peterman had and they lead the team to victory with amazing stats, I would have a hard time being in agreement with that. 

They might not throw 5 interceptions but they would absolutely get killed in my honest opinion. 

Edited by Lfod

15 minutes ago, Lfod said:

If we are talking about Peterman becoming the starter of the Bills and leading them to many glorious victories then no, I can't argue in favor of that. I would agree the chances of that happening are slim to none. I won't say your wrong or anybody else who has written him off completely. 

If we are talking about a later round drafted QB put in a very difficult situation to actually succeed on an underperforming offense in his first year in the NFL. I would have to say yes I think that even if others disagree. 

If we are talking about the reason for him starting in the first place was because the offense was under performing, I would have to say yes that was the reason.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2017/10/26/16552372/buffalo-bills-converting-turnovers-into-points-interceptions-fumbles-scoring-offense&ved=2ahUKEwiT86azo47aAhWjuVkKHfNCDwQQFjACegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1efyUuOU8DgWtdXQR6kQLO&ampcf=1

Now you stick a late round rookie QB on and underperforming offence that can't take advantage of multiple extra opportunitys to score. Panthers and Jaguars are both 3 point offensive games. Pun intended. Saints 56 yard game. We got destroyed by the Jets. 

I'm not saying much other then the guy wasn't put in a favorable situation. You can think that sticking any of the top QBs in this draft in that same situation as Peterman had and they lead the team to victory with amazing stats, I would have a hard time being in agreement with that. 

They might not throw 5 interceptions but they would absolutely get killed in my honest opinion. 

You're simple. I never said victory or amazing stats. I simply said they'd be better than Peterman. 

He's a 5th round pick for a reason, and he's been given opportunities, and shown nothing.

He's worse than any potential first round pick this year. It's a joke to think otherwise. 

Tyrod has nothing to do in this thread. Even though, he did out perform your guy in 2 out of 3 common games played. But go on, feel free to continue stupidity. Plenty of QB's would have gotten hit, are you ignoring how long Peterman holds on to the ball? I can't even respond to this anymore. The bolded point is absolutely !@#$ing retarded. 

Why would anyone talk about Peterman anymore? The guy is done. Get over him, he's not your son.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

McDermott wasn't unpleased with the performance because he's a stubborn SOB and wouldn't admit he made a clear mistake in benching Tyrod for a guy who definitely wasn't ready. 

"I don't regret the decision, I regret the result." ?

This thread is incredible.

Is it possible that the offensive line(And Castillo)and Peterman all suck? 

No... It just can't be... It's amazing the level of denial that exists in a fan base that went through 17 years of ****. Or maybe it's more like an abusive relationship... I don't know.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

5 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You're simple. I never said victory or amazing stats. I simply said they'd be better than Peterman. 

He's a 5th round pick for a reason, and he's been given opportunities, and shown nothing.

He's worse than any potential first round pick this year. It's a joke to think otherwise. 

If what you mean by better is taking the sacks or throwing the ball away instead of throwing the interceptions then I agree they would be better. 

If they came in that same situation with "He didn't even try to block me"-Bosa and could be successful I would have to say that rookie is elite and we found our franchise QB. 

Not many 5th round picks set the league on fire their rookie season.  Take the Charger game away and Peterman's 18/35 for 186 Yards, 2 TD/0 INT.  Not great, not horrendous.

Tom Brady his first year was 1/3 for 6 yards.  He didn't start a game until his second season.

Troy Aikman threw 1 TD and 6 INT's his first three starts.  His final start his rookie year he had 0 TD's and 4 INT's. 

Eli Manning's first four starts he completed 38% if his passes, averaged 112 pass yards per game, threw 1 TD & 6 INT's and was sacked 9 times.

My point isn't that Peterman is the next Troy Aikman or Eli Manning.  But to think Peterman outright sucks and is a lost cause after 1 bad start is just moronic, especially when he had a OT/turnstile blocking (or not) for him.  Over the season, Peterman made some impressive throws and did some good things when called upon, which for a rookie I would say are positives.  You don't give up on late round QB's after one bad start.  Hell, you don't even give up on first-rounders after a handful of bad starts.

Listen, Mills so happened to have a really BAD game during a week in which Tyrod was benched.   His performance was SO bad that even Bosa commented that he LITERALLY wasn't trying to block him.   On the play where Bosa crushed Peterman, that's just a really bad look, not to mention what I was told.  Peterman did make some rookie mistakes.  But it wasn't like he was sitting in a clean pocket all day overthrowing guys.  

Given time to develop I believe Peterman could be a good QB.  How good, only time will tell.  No, he is not good enough for the Bills to not go after their franchise QB in 2018.  Could he develop into trade bait down the road?  Perhaps.  Maybe a solid backup...maybe with experience a solid starter.  None of us know, and one start certainly isn't the end-all of his career either.  Regardless, he is smart and did enough to warrant the opportunity.

Mills has one year left on his contract, and as far as I'm concerned that's one year too many.

On 3/27/2018 at 2:47 AM, dezertbill said:

I ran into an acquaintance last week at a local place here in Las Vegas ( I know, Vegas, right?).  He is from Clarence, and says he has two close friends whom both work within the Bills organization.  When the topic of Nathan Peterman came up vs. the Chargers, he rolled his eyes and laughed.  Told me that some in the building firmly believe that Jordan Mills was so PI$$ED about Taylor's benching that he purposely became a turnstile vs. the Chargers to sabotage Peterman's start.

Now,  first of all I'm skeptical when someone says they have "friends" that work at One Bills Drive (I don't know their names).  Secondly,  I never heard of any claims of players having it in for Peterman over Taylor's benching nor feel that any professional would put another athletes health at risk over a benching.  So I went to the video myself to see if I could notice anything out of the ordinary from Mills' side.

Now, keep in mind that Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram are two great athletes.  But if you closely watch Mills vs both of them, this guy's friends may be onto something.

I pulled this video from Youtube which shows all 5 picks. (it will make you go to YouTube.com website to watch the video).   Here is what I saw.

:45 - Peterman threads a beautiful pass to Benjamin.  If you notice Mills, he Ole's Melvin Ingram.  Not only does he barely move, he just stands there after Ingram whiffs by him.  Luckily on this play, Peterman completed the ball prior to Ingram getting to him.  Horrible look, horrible effort by Mills.

2:04 - This was the screen pass to DeMarco.  (Slow the video to .25 speed) Mills pulls inside once the Ball is snapped.  Now keep in mind he is running opposite of where the ball is going.  It looks as if he purposely avoids hitting Bosa (ducking to his left) to double team Ducasse's guy (who neither hit and the defender doesn't end up even being involved in the play) .  Bosa fires up the line and hits DeMarco, throwing off his route.  He then closes in on Peterman who has to rush the throw, which is tipped by DeMarco who is probably short of where he was supposed to be due to rubbing Bosa and it's intercepted and taken the other way.  Now some will say "throw it away", or blame DeMarco.  But Bosa's disruption based on Mills inability to just get in his way led to this.  Another bad look.

3:59 - Ingram beats Mills on the outside and Mills hips end up facing the back of the end zone.  Ingram is able to stick up his hand in Peterman's face, which makes him take a step back and right into Bosa coming in from behind.  Now, a smarter QB would have stepped up, and on this play it just looks as if Mills got beat cleanly.  But then again, who knows.

7:27 - On this play, Mills HAS to see that there is Bosa and a blitzer lined up outside of him.  When the ball is snapped, he barely moves and once again ole's Bosa.  While the RB takes on the blitzer, Bosa comes in and crushes Peterman.  Now, some will say a veteran QB should just take the sack on that one and not throw the ball.  But it doesn't take away the fact that Mills looked so badly beaten it makes you wonder how much of it was skill, and how much of it was anger over Taylor's benching?

8:17 - This was a quick three step drop and throw.  For some reason Mills takes a step to the outside, knowing he needs to protect the inside gap to ensure Peterman has a clear line of sight.  Mills basically gives Bosa an inside lane directly into this QB.  This throws off the throw (it's a 3 step drop for God's sake) and ends up being an INT.  Looking at this closely, Mills sets up so wide and then looks so badly beaten inside on such a simple blocking assignment it's f'n crazy.

9:39 -   Peterman's final INT comes from Dawkins' side.  It looks like Bosa makes a move inside and Dawkin's gets hurt (He favor's his shoulder as he comes off the field).  But you'll notice this is the only INT that comes from pressure directly in the face of Peterman that doesn't come from Mills side..

Now, these are the only plays I have video of.  Who knows how many more plays he may have whiffed at.  After watching this video, one could say Mills just had a really bad day.  But some can also say that, on some of those plays,  it looks like Mills was barely making an effort (if any), which makes you wonder.....was he really trying to send a message to the coaching staff for benching Taylor?

As for Peterman, he took a lot of heat for a performance that wasn't all his fault.  Not only does he get a bad wrap from Bills fans, but from around the league in general.  If Mills wanted to sabotage his start and make McDermott look stupid, he succeeded.    It also earned TT the start the following week.

Mission accomplished

Mills should be out the door regardless.

I'm sure the Raiders would love him :flirt: