Wrap up of NFL owners annual meetings - talking points

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I give Eli 1 more season then he's gone.    Davis Webb?   @ 3-10 they should have made the switch if they were high on him.   

Agreed.  Make it like it was before 9-11.   Players stayed off of the field until the anthem was sung, then they came out..  

I had been to games where players were on the field for the national anthem before 9-11.

43 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I faught for their right to use the 1st Amendment. They did. NO FREAKING ISSUE   

And again you know why Players even started coming out for the Anthem???  It was required BY NFL Military Contract to help recruiting efforts.

so again there is two ways actually three ways to fix this.

1.  Stop the Anthem

2. Keep players in lockroom

3. Get off your high horse and realize their is an issue in America and then taking a knee was a respectable way to protest.  And the ANTHEM is not their work. The Game hasnt started. 

They are in the workplace. They are on the clock before the game starts. Warm ups, meetings etc. 

You are correct about the military contract. It seems to have bitten the NFL in the a$$ a bit, because the language says " should stand" or something. Not " must " or " will". Perhaps the players wouldn't have agreed to that or whatever. Either way, it was a bad idea and they should just cancel the thing and be done with it. Go to a college type deal where they are brought out afterward. Or just stop the anthem altogether. 

36 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I had been to games where players were on the field for the national anthem before 9-11.

I think they were for playoffs and some national TV broadcasts. I'd have to check old Bills games to be sure, but that's how I remember it anyway. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

They are in the workplace. They are on the clock before the game starts. Warm ups, meetings etc. 

You are correct about the military contract. It seems to have bitten the NFL in the a$$ a bit, because the language says " should stand" or something. Not " must " or " will". Perhaps the players wouldn't have agreed to that or whatever. Either way, it was a bad idea and they should just cancel the thing and be done with it. Go to a college type deal where they are brought out afterward. Or just stop the anthem altogether. 

Yep stop the Anthem or keep them in lockerroom easiest way to fix any perceived issues 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Bobby:   Again....Oh Please...There are always issues in America to someone!

Right. Heck with the game, let's have a bunch of rival groups ( choose your favorites) and set them up before each game. Or just have one huge protest where everybody " airs their grievances"! We all have the right. Sounds like fun, where do I buy my ticket!  ( this will be great for business) 

Edited by Boatdrinks

It’s up to the owners now.   We know the Pegulas asked the Bills to stand so let them debate if it is why the viewership is down or the issue of cable cutting or over saturation because of the Thursday night games.  

Please keep it civil so we can discuss all the issues of the owners meetings and not have this moved to the PPP.  

Thanks in advance. 

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

Asked how many quarterback prospects the Bills have privately worked out, general manager Brandon Beane told reporters Monday, "at least three," and then said, laughing, "Three have been reported out there, so I'm just gonna say three and stick with that."

Hes a funny guy that Beane.  

http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article206842639.html

ORLANDO 

Some NFL team owners were updated on the progress of the Carolina Panthers’ sale at the annual league meetings, including a projected timeline. 

“They updated a presentation, and I think they’re hoping by our May meeting that they’ll have a finalist to present,” New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Monday.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/3/26/17157044/nfl-annual-league-meeting-2018-updates-catch-rule

More penalties for illegal use of the helmet.

This isn’t up for vote because it’s already a rule. But according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, the competition committee is making it a priority:

The committee will introduce an emphasis on penalizing players for any illegal use of the helmet, presenting video and data as part of a message it will carry forward to officials and players heading into the 2018 season.

Allowing officials an opportunity to eject players after replay.

While the NFL won’t be adopting a targeting rule like the college ranks, the competition committee has put forth a proposal that would give referees the opportunity to eject a player after reviewing a play. Rob Gronkowski’s late hit that concussed Tre’Davious White is the most recent example of a case where this would have been implemented.

9 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Thanks for your service MajBobby.

I was in the USMC. We were protecting our freedom. So as I see it, we protected these people's freedom to do what they want, not follow the crowd even if they don't want to. I see it as totally OK.

However when I went to a couple of games right in the middle of the hooplah.  Before the anthem started I went outside and listened to rock 'n roll on my ipod and protested the protest. Not the players but being identified asa racist if I stood and someone who hates America if I didn't.  It was a false choice.

I just wanna watch some football which is my freedom to do so.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

And again you know why Players even started coming out for the Anthem???  It was required BY NFL Military Contract to help recruiting efforts.

so again there is two ways actually three ways to fix this.

1.  Stop the Anthem

2. Keep players in lockroom

3. Get off your high horse and realize their is an issue in America and then taking a knee was a respectable way to protest.  And the ANTHEM is not their work. The Game hasnt started. 

I agree that America has an issue. America has a few issues right now. School shootings, mass shootings, bombers, scandalous presidential candidates, Trillions in debt, government shut downs ECT ECT ECT. I could go on all day but I'll just stop there. 

Kneeling brought awareness that America has an issue but it didn't solve it. It only added fuel to the fire. I don't see a resolution only more debate. I wish it had solved the problem but it didn't. Show me utopia. A dude was just shot by police the other day running with a cellphone, more protests. I seen videos of protesters kicking cars. 

Unlike most people, I don't see an answer. It is just going to continue to get worse and worse until the entire thing breaks down. The system will collapse, the poor will tear each other apart and the military will move in to police the streets to protect the structures and businesses. Those who bow down and comply will get rations and bread lines. Those who don't will be labeled American Terrorist and um yeah... 

This has been in the works for years. The majority watch as it all plays out but it's new to them because they don't know the end of the story. I read the script. I know how this movie ends. I hope for the best but it won't be long I'll be jumping ship before it all goes down. :)

I let everyone sort out thier difference from a nice safe distance. Your somebody that has fought for other people, but a guy like me... I am only fighting for my own personal survival. I wasn't born to carry anybody else's problems. 

Edited by Lfod

6 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I'm still so happy the Patriots lost the super bowl to Nick Foles. I didn't realize how long this feeling would last but every time I hear Foles name I smile. 

And I'm happier it still haunts Kraft 

Was it too early for the Owners to speak about the Saints now that their owner just passed?  

Jon Gruden would 'like to eliminate instant replay'  Interesting 

The Catch rule 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923342/article/nfl-team-owners-pass-catch-rule-changes-unanimously

It's a new day in the NFL as far as what constitutes a catch.

All 32 NFL teams unanimously approved modifications to the catch rule for the 2018 season in a vote at the Annual League Meeting on Tuesday, a source informed of the vote told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. The simplified rules defining a catch are:

1. Control of the ball.

2. Two feet down or another body part.

3. A football move such as:

» A third step

» Reaching/extending for the line-to-gain

» Or the ability to perform such an act

Update 

The  Simplified Catch Rule passed with a unanimous 32-0 Vote

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

10 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm with John on this one.  Just dump it.  It's football.  We don't have to be slaves to technology like everything else..

they used to have a time limit on these reviews.    If the ref can't see enough evidence in 20 seconds to over turn it then let the call stand.   

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

they used to have a time limit on these reviews.    If the ref can't see enough evidence in 20 seconds to over turn it then let the call stand.   

I read the rest of the article and totally agree with this take by John:

"I think slow-mo replay is the biggest problem with replay," he said. "When you're looking at is it a catch or isn't it a catch at that speed it's hard to tell. So I think if you threw that slow-mo out, I think you'd get back to common sense. Let the naked eye determine some of these calls. But it always looks like pass interference when you're going that slow; it always seems to look a little bit more dramatic in slow motion."

I have suggested on many threads about this that they shouldn't be able to slow it down more than to 1/3 speed.  If they can't figure it out from that in 30 seconds, go with the call on the field.  As soon as the ref goes "under the hood" or whatever, put a count down clock on the score board.  Get to :00 with no decision, call stands.

But still, I'd just prefer to dump the whole thing.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I read the rest of the article and totally agree with this take by John:

I have suggested on many threads about this that they shouldn't be able to slow it down more than to 1/3 speed.  If they can't figure it out from that in 30 seconds, go with the call on the field.  As soon as the ref goes "under the hood" or whatever, put a count down clock on the score board.  Get to :00 with no decision, call stands.

But still, I'd just prefer to dump the whole thing.

that is kind of what I said.  20 seconds review the other 10 seconds is getting to and from the reviewing monitor.  30 seconds max 

Gruden's rant would have more standing if instead of saying to get rid of replay, he would have argued for fewer and more expedient replays, which is something fans and coaches alike could get behind.

thats a great point 

now who just suggested that???    :D  ;)

• Like (+1) 1