Wrap up of NFL owners annual meetings - talking points

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The NFL absolutely IS an employer, by the way. Many people are employed by the NFL, not individual teams. The NFL has some limited anti trust protections, it may be a minor factor but not much. The President may have reignited a dying issue with his comments, but that's not why this is a problem. Do you care much about Trumps opinion on protests? I'd bet many fans don't care either what he thinks about it. Jones is an owner that DOES care about his own opinion on it. Many other owners probably do as well. That's why it's being talked about and why it's likely to be an ugly mess. Not because of Trump. 

All companies deal with people's personal issues that involve politics.   

•  each and every employee should be able say what they want as long as it is done in a respectful manner.   

On 3/26/2018 at 3:26 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

ORLANDO, Fla. -- New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft said he has met collectively with quarterback Tom Brady and head coach Bill Belichick, downplaying any tension in the organization as standard operating procedure while noting the toll that losing Super Bowl LII has taken.

"We met and I meet individually with each of them," Kraft said Monday at the NFL's annual meeting. "But the thing that I don't know if it's completely understood -- Bill and Tom meet a lot and spend a lot of time communicating. I think the residual of this loss was really hard on everyone, but I sort of see that as a high-class problem."

Kraft also said, "The fact that we lost and lost the way we did, I still haven't gotten over it."

BRAVO to the last.  

they want to win

a rare concept in sports these days

37 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

All companies deal with people's personal issues that involve politics.   

•  each and every employee should be able say what they want as long as it is done in a respectful manner.   

Yes, however most are not in show business with a captive audience at their job. There are limits at work. Each and every employee does not have the RIGHT to say/ do whatever they want at work. Imagine an employee staging a protest at their job that offended some customers. Do you think that might be a problem for the employer? This is well worn territory, and not really what is being discussed. The subject is the owners meetings and the discussions of what the league will do about player protests. It's going to be contentious and ugly according to some league observers. 

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

they want to win

a rare concept in sports these days

I don't think it's rare. Teams / franchises want to and try their hardest to win, succeed and ultimately keep their jobs. They aren't unique in this regard. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

31 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yes, however most are not in show business with a captive audience at their job. There are limits at work. Each and every employee does not have the RIGHT to say/ do whatever they want at work. Imagine an employee staging a protest at their job that offended some customers. Do you think that might be a problem for the employer? This is well worn territory, and not really what is being discussed. The subject is the owners meetings and the discussions of what the league will do about player protests. It's going to be contentious and ugly according to some league observers. 

I don't think it's rare. Teams / franchises want to and try their hardest to win, succeed and ultimately keep their jobs. They aren't unique in this regard. 

i believe 90% of pro teams are now strictly there to enhance the resale value of the owners, look at the baseball offseason with 20+ teams tanking and refusing to consider the PLENTIFUL free agency market

barely competent coaches and players trying to cling to their undeserved jobs, by the boatload, is not seeking to honestly win

24 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I think they will find ways to allow the players to speak up w/o kneeling during the anthem.   I don't think it will be contentious unless they owners want to make it so.  

Because  its a grey area teams allow it.  If they change their "corporate" policy to say you must stand or be punished, the players will oblige IF they are offered an alternate way to speak up / out 

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i believe 90% of pro teams are now strictly there to enhance the resale value of the owners, look at the baseball offseason with 20+ teams tanking and refusing to consider the PLENTIFUL free agency market

barely competent coaches and players trying to cling to their undeserved jobs, by the boatload, is not seeking to honestly win

Work to your potential  ......    Everyone must meet expectations or face losing some of that bloated salary.  

Set a base salary and as you exceed every benchmark you get X amount more. 

You want $20 mil start at $10 and earn the rest through incentives.    Players won't sit back and collect a paycheck for being a sloth. 

leaving Utopia returning to the real world 

12 hours ago, row_33 said:

Baseball is a completely different market altogether. The game is different too. It's physically brutal. You don't survive in the NFL without competitive fire. Those guys get weeded out. Maybe there is a lack of trying to win in MLB , but not in the NFL. 

12 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I think they will find ways to allow the players to speak up w/o kneeling during the anthem.   I don't think it will be contentious unless they owners want to make it so.  

Because  its a grey area teams allow it.  If they change their "corporate" policy to say you must stand or be punished, the players will oblige IF they are offered an alternate way to speak up / out 

It will be contentious, mostly due to the players than anything else. There may be a grey area in the wording of the military agreement. I think that could go away, with the players not coming out of locker rooms until after the anthem. The anthem could  simply be eliminated. There will be a lot of heated discussions. The players already have a way to speak up. On their own time, not on the network/ league's time. They are there to get paid . They are paid to play and win games. Not to hijack network coverage for their own personal causes or protests du jour. 

7 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

It will be contentious, mostly due to the players than anything else. There may be a grey area in the wording of the military agreement. I think that could go away, with the players not coming out of locker rooms until after the anthem. The anthem could  simply be eliminated. There will be a lot of heated discussions. The players already have a way to speak up. On their own time, not on the network/ league's time. They are there to get paid . They are paid to play and win games. Not to hijack network coverage for their own personal causes or protests du jour. 

The players were already starting to "kneel down" less and less.  Well until Donny tweeted about it.  

People (myself included) have mentioned before, prior to 9-11 the only times you saw players on the field for the national anthem were for the playoffs, "special events" and maybe opening weekends.  

Altered Memories ......  I am now reading it was 2009 and because of $$$ 

It’s a tribute to the NFL’s ability to drape itself in the flag that nobody even realizes that – prior to 2009 – players being on the field for the national anthem wasn’t even standard practice.   http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/new-england-patriots/nfl-teams-being-field-anthem-relatively-new-practice

NFL teams got patriotic in recent years because it was good for business. A 2015 congressional report revealed that the Department of Defense had paid $5.4 million to NFL teams between 2011 and 2014 to stage on-field patriotic ceremonies; the National Guard shelled out $6.7 million for similar displays between 2013 and 2015.

and for Stephan A Smith fans 

NFL players only started appearing on field for the national anthem in 2009, which puts the whole Colin Kaepernick controversy in a new light.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan