Lauletta or Rudolph? Who is the better prospect?

PIZ

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Because Giants already have one. They could plug holes on their team and be in the Super Bowl next year. Drafting a quarterback is punting on Eli Mannings career. They could get the Bills pick next year, that is looking like it might be pretty high. 

But my biggest point is don't just take a guy to take a guy. Get the franchise changing player, otherwise it is a wasted draft pick. Gotta move the needle and neither of these guys do. They aren't better than what we already have.

You have to say that you kinda, sorta think that neither of these guys might not be in your opinion be prospects that move the needle. If not you're speaking factually. :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Nobody is saying garrapolo is elite...

yeah except for bulldog, and Carl Faulk, and my brothers, and a ton of other football podcasts and talk shows.  I'm not making it up, its the reason I posted that.    Start paying attention to how he gets slid into the "top qb's" conversations.   It's annoying.   Mahomes and Deshaun too.   All I say to them is come back to me when they've played a few dozen games and all the DC's get a chance to learn tendencies and weaknesses, to see what types of gameplans work best--maybe they will hold up, but its likely they won't.   I see Garrapolo as a Tannehill, David Carr ceiling.   

Rudolph has improved every year, so I guess if I had to, I'd pick him but not until the 2nd.

We miss on the top 4, I'd just as soon trade down to the mid 20's and pick up another 2nd and 3rd.

Two 1sts, three 2nds and three 3rds could build one tough D.

12 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

yeah except for bulldog, and Carl Faulk, and my brothers, and a ton of other football podcasts and talk shows.  I'm not making it up, its the reason I posted that.    Start paying attention to how he gets slid into the "top qb's" conversations.   It's annoying.   Mahomes and Deshaun too.   All I say to them is come back to me when they've played a few dozen games and all the DC's get a chance to learn tendencies and weaknesses, to see what types of gameplans work best--maybe they will hold up, but its likely they won't.   I see Garrapolo as a Tannehill, David Carr ceiling.   

There’s a difference between “top quarterbacks” and being “elite”. Tom Brady is elite. Matt stafford is a top quarterback 

5 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

In a perfect world, I wouldn't be banking on either player to be my franchise guy.

Rudolph graded out as the better QB for me but he only came out as a 3rd rounder, Lauletta around the 5th.

I had them ranked similar. Obviously I would prefer Rudolph, I think he is better than Lauletta in just about every category.

Rudolph or White are the Bills backup plan imo.

5 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

In a perfect world, I wouldn't be banking on either player to be my franchise guy.

Rudolph graded out as the better QB for me but he only came out as a 3rd rounder, Lauletta around the 5th.

For me the issue with respect to Rudolph or any qb for that matter is whether the qb can be in time a franchise qb. If he could develop into a solid franchise qb then the round ranking isn't as important to me. If Rudolph has a third round ranking and can be a solid starting qb in the pros then I would take him ahead of a DT or LB or CB etc who has a second round ranking player who becomes a good pro. 

I understand the ideal and the quest for the elite qb. But when an organization hasn't had a franchise qb in nearly a quarter of a century then securing a potential franchise qb seems to be a very attractive act. 

As it stands I'm open to all options regarding a qb. There are a lot of debatable routes to take such as throwing in a substantial amount of draft chips to acquire a premium prospect. And then there is a very reasonable argument to be made to stand pat and use your draft assets to bolster the roster and still be able to get a good but not great prospect. I'm not dismissing any option other than to not address this issue in a meaningful way in this draft. I would consider drafting a qb like Rudolph as being a meaningful and reasonable way to handle this issue. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

For me the issue with respect to Rudolph or any qb for that matter is whether the qb can be in time a franchise qb. If he could develop into a solid franchise qb then the round ranking isn't as important to me. If Rudolph has a third round ranking and can be a solid starting qb in the pros then I would take him ahead of a DT or LB or CB etc who has a second round ranking player who becomes a good pro. 

I understand the ideal and the quest for the elite qb. But when an organization hasn't had a franchise qb in nearly a quarter of a century then securing a potential franchise qb seems to be a very attractive act. 

As it stands I'm open to all options regarding a qb. There are a lot of debatable routes to take such as throwing in a substantial amount of draft chips to acquire a premium prospect. And then there is a very reasonable argument to be made to stand pat and use your draft assets to bolster the roster and still be able to get a good but not great prospect. I'm not dismissing any option other than to not address this issue in a meaningful way in this draft. I would consider drafting a qb like Rudolph as being a meaningful and reasonable way to handle this issue. 

That's settlling for a guy who doesn't project as a franchise QB.  That doesn't seem meaningful or reasonable at all to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

My grades are set into tiers and because I don't grade for the reality of QB desperation, round grades are basically relative to each other and not necessarily where I would draft them/expect them to go. QB is such a weird beast in the free market (be it FA or draft), I find it near impossible to scale it.

With a 3rd round grade, Rudolph is towards the lower end of 'Chance to be a future starter' where you'd be taking him to groom him behind a veteran for a fairly significant period of time. Because of that, it's feasible that he would make sense at the back end of the 1st, simply due to the fifth-year option extending your grooming & evaluation period. I struggle with players from Rudolph's kind of system because the transition typically takes time. It cloaks what he might be capable of doing in terms of progressions & full-field reads. He might be capable but without getting him on the whiteboard, I'm not giving him credit for what I've not seen a ton of.

If his development doesn't pan out, the draft stock used on him probably costs a GM his job. Spending a late 1st on a guy that ends up as a backup QB is a fail. If they decide not to move up for one of the established guys (at least in my eyes) and they settle for a Jackson or a Rudolph, I'll back the play despite some reservations but, if they do, they live and die by this particular sword.

25 minutes ago, billspro said:

I had them ranked similar. Obviously I would prefer Rudolph, I think he is better than Lauletta in just about every category.

Rudolph or White are the Bills backup plan imo.

I don't actually dislike Lauletta as a player but I found it funny about what my notes about him said. Almost to a tee, it was what everyone kept telling me that Nate Peterman was coming out of Pitt :D

Edited by Blokestradamus

3 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

i agree with this. i mean, if you are in a position where you can't trade up to get your guy, and there is nobody left at 12 you like, just take the guy at 22 and roll the dice. don't get cute. if you like him, take him. if he turns into something, great. if he sucks...you didn't trade 9 picks for him and you can try again very soon. 

and as far as the laulettulelei...now that's just plain fun!

If he sucks, it's another wasted pick and you're stuck in QB purgatory for the next 5 years.  You want to go through that?

I prefer Lauletta by a significant margin. I think his best case scenario is probably Alex Smith level player and I don’t really see that kind of ceiling for Rudolph. I’d take Lauletta in the 2nd round and take Rudolph in like the 4th.

I would definitely prefer one of the 5 first round guys though. 

23 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

My grades are set into tiers and because I don't grade for the reality of QB desperation, round grades are basically relative to each other and not necessarily where I would draft them/expect them to go. QB is such a weird beast in the free market (be it FA or draft), I find it near impossible to scale it.

With a 3rd round grade, Rudolph is towards the lower end of 'Chance to be a future starter' where you'd be taking him to groom him behind a veteran for a fairly significant period of time. Because of that, it's feasible that he would make sense at the back end of the 1st, simply due to the fifth-year option extending your grooming & evaluation period. I struggle with players from Rudolph's kind of system because the transition typically takes time. It cloaks what he might be capable of doing in terms of progressions & full-field reads. He might be capable but without getting him on the whiteboard, I'm not giving him credit for what I've not seen a ton of.

If his development doesn't pan out, the draft stock used on him probably costs a GM his job. Spending a late 1st on a guy that ends up as a backup QB is a fail. If they decide not to move up for one of the established guys (at least in my eyes) and they settle for a Jackson or a Rudolph, I'll back the play despite some reservations but, if they do, they live and die by this particular sword.

I don't actually dislike Lauletta as a player but I found it funny about what my notes about him said. Almost to a tee, it was what everyone kept telling me that Nate Peterman was coming out of Pitt :D

That is exactly who he reminds me of, haha.

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

If he sucks, it's another wasted pick and you're stuck in QB purgatory for the next 5 years.  You want to go through that?

Hi Dick!

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

I, Mike White, take thee billspro, to be my lawfully wedded wife.

Hi Dick!

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

" What if the Bills end up taking him in Round 2 and go something else round 1? Just throwing it out there. "

Then, Beane should be fired, especially after making all of these trades to supposedly move up into the top 4 for a QB.  Full stop.

Hi Dick!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's settlling for a guy who doesn't project as a franchise QB.  That doesn't seem meaningful or reasonable at all to me. 

Some people project him as a franchise qb and some don't. There were questions about Wilson, Watson, Prescott, Mahomes etc. Being confident in one's projection on a player at this  point is not the same as being accurate about the prospects chances for success. If you want to get a hit then you have to swing at the ball. If you are waiting for a perfect date you are likely staying home and watching TV while everyone else is canoodling.