Can we step off the ledge yet?

Virgil

39 minutes ago, Virgil said:

After the Jets trade yesterday, I feel like everyone should have the sharp objects removed from their homes.  I get it, the Jets are going to get a top QB and the Browns won't trade #1.

Beane was being praised just 48 hours ago for the TT and Glenn trade.  His FA moves were solid and needed.  The draft is over a month away.  

If we really want to jump to #2, we can still do that and it's not that painful.  If Beane thinks the guy we want needs to be drafted that high, we can drop both 1st's this year and our 1st next year to jump up the 10 spots.  If needed, we can throw in a 2nd or 3rd to create the same overpay the Jets did.  We would still have three pics left in the top 3 rounds.  Beane can easily get starting positions out of those.  And in the grand scheme of things, we will then have our Franchise QB and the 2 extra picks we gave up with be nothing in hindsight.  

I'm just saying, this isn't the end of days.  If we wanted Rosen, #2 was probably always the plan.  Darnold was probably off the table with Cleveland.  Whoever the Jets don't take, Rosen or Mayfield (Allen is the dream).  The question really is Denver.  If they are open for business, then they aren't going QB and one of those two will fall and it won't cost must of anything to trade up if we are worried about someone else jumping in front of us (Arizona).  

End of the day, we still have options that don't cripple us and I don't think the Jets did anything that wasn't expected.  

For the optimists, think this way.  What if Darnold goes 1st and Allen goes to the Jets.  Rosen or Mayfield could drop to 12 maybe if the Broncos are good with Keenum, which they might be after that deal.  

Let's just take some breaths

Very few times have a read something that totally encapsulated my thoughts to a T. This post has managed to do it. Thank you for the excellent take and I'm right there with ya. Couldn't have said it better myself!

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes. If that happens then this is just 2004 all over again. I dont want to settle on the 2nd-tier leftovers. I want Rothlisberger, not Losman.

The mistake that year wasn't in not moving up to get Ben. It was in trading up to get JP. Had they sat tight we could very well have had Aaron Rodgers throwing to Lee Evans the following year. 

The draft moves a million miles an hour in a million different directions. If you can't get the player you want the ABSOLUTE worst thing you can do is compound that mistake by making a panicked decision.

• Thank you (+1) 1

First of all the Giants have to want to make a trade.  

Second, if the Giants want to take Rosen or Allen it is game over.  That means Browns get a QB and Barkely.  Jets get a QB and the best QB on the board at that point is Mayfield who is not worth a top 5 pick.  At that point it is best to sit at 12 and see if Mayfield falls.  Mayfield is my least favorite of the top 4 but I woudl take him at 12.  Rudolph and Jackson are guys that are borderline first round picks.  

In this doomsday scenario, I would be happy to take BPA at 12 or even move back a few spots and pick up another pick.  They have AJ. I don't think much of him but he has shown he can play a little and some think highly of him.  Put 6 more high draft picks around him and see what happens.

That would be my approach if the Giants won't trade.  If Allen is still on the board at #4(assuming Darnold, Barkely, Rosen go 1,2,3) I do whatever it takes to get to #4 ahead of the Broncos.  If Cleveland shocks and takes Barkely then the G-men might be more open to a trade.  If Cleveland shocks and takes Allen then Jets may have to choose from Darnold and Rosen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

First of all the Giants have to want to make a trade.  

Second, if the Giants want to take Rosen or Allen it is game over.  That means Browns get a QB and Barkely.  Jets get a QB and the best QB on the board at that point is Mayfield who is not worth a top 5 pick.  At that point it is best to sit at 12 and see if Mayfield falls.  Mayfield is my least favorite of the top 4 but I woudl take him at 12.  Rudolph and Jackson are guys that are borderline first round picks.  

In this doomsday scenario, I would be happy to take BPA at 12 or even move back a few spots and pick up another pick.  They have AJ. I don't think much of him but he has shown he can play a little and some think highly of him.  Put 6 more high draft picks around him and see what happens.

That would be my approach if the Giants won't trade.  If Allen is still on the board at #4(assuming Darnold, Barkely, Rosen go 1,2,3) I do whatever it takes to get to #4 ahead of the Broncos.  If Cleveland shocks and takes Barkely then the G-men might be more open to a trade.  If Cleveland shocks and takes Allen then Jets may have to choose from Darnold and Rosen.

Good post.  I will comment on some Bronco news about the draft.

Elway may not take a QB at #5.

A Bronco message board poll results:       PBA/Trade back - 75%, Select QB - 25%.

Does anyone think Elway, after he signed Keenum will move up in the draft to #2?

No Bronco fan is even considering that.  Most want Elway to fix the OL which has gotten both Lynch and Siemian

injured the last 2 years.  Quenton Nelson is who everyone is talking about.

Mayfield at 6'0" is not in the Elway mold.  I cannot see him using a 5th on him.

If Allen is there at #5 Elway may pick him.  Most see Browns and Jets taking Darnold and Rosen.

If Beane likes Mayfield and he is not selected by CLE or NYJ there could be a good chance Bill's can get him after #5.

Of course Beane going up to #2 is still there for an added cost of a 1st rounder next year.

FWIW

2 hours ago, Rico said:

I'm not on the ledge. I do have a big headache from trying to guess what's going to happen, can't remember seeing so many possibilities before. Nothing left to do but trust the process.

yep.

Nerve wracking-ly awesome

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Image result for hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy don't panic

That quote is from Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Not Dr Who. Although both are British fictional fun !

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

After the Jets trade yesterday, I feel like everyone should have the sharp objects removed from their homes.  

I'm excited just like most long time conservative Bills fans are.After the draft is over,we should not have any glaring needs,including QB.McCarron isn't chump change and we will bring in a kid to be schooled.maybe White?We need linebackers and a few wide outs,not to mention right side help on the o-line.And then in 2019...about 90 mill under the cap.The future is bright...enjoy the sunshine.p.s.-as Hawkins once said...it's always better to look up at the stars instead of looking down at your feet.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The solace that I'm talking myself into is, it's possible Beane knows #2 is in play, and that teams only have the draft capital to make 1 move into the top 3. So when offered a chance at #3, he passed, knowing that #2 is the real target and the plan is in motion.

oh please, oh please...

it is also possible that there is only one, maybe two guys he views as being worth paying that price for. and if you jump to three now and they are taken 1 and 2...then you have effectively just sat on a cactus. maybe he will see who goes number one, and if his guy is on the board at 2, offer the sun, the moon, and the stars for the giants pick.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Only one thing is 100% for sure so far. We’re facing either Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, or Allen twice a year. 

...and there’s a pretty good chance two of them will be facing off against each other.... Let’s hope we are able to make the better choice. We deserve nice things! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

I'm excited just like most long time conservative Bills fans are.After the draft is over,we should not have any glaring needs,including QB.McCarron isn't chump change and we will bring in a kid to be schooled.maybe White?We need linebackers and a few wide outs,not to mention right side help on the o-line.And then in 2019...about 90 mill under the cap.The future is bright...enjoy the sunshine.p.s.-as Hawkins once said...it's always better to look up at the stars instead of looking down at your feet.

nice quote Mister !