Dan Jeremiah - Bills covet Allen

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Jeremiah nailed the Spiller pick which surprised most observers, so he's been right before. He has also trotted this Allen to the Bills interest several times. There were as many and similar questions regarding Cam's accuracy as a passer before his draft (despite his better completion percentage) and Allen probably did better than Cam in the combine passing drills. Allen is not, as some maintain, a third round prospect. EJ was a third round prospect (again despite his better completion percentage). Allen is much better and is completely legit as a first rounder. All things considered he would not be my choice, especially if we have to trade up again, (I'd take Lamar ahead of him) but if he winds up being the guy I will have no problem getting behind him 100%. 

Of course... I guess that we all would... although I would still be wondering what Beane and McDermott see that few others seem to.

In my experience, quarterback is the sole position on the roster where guys with good tools and no toolbox seldom succeed (e.g. Bills last 2 #1's Manuel & Losman).

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

You had me until Lamar lol

Less risk IMO and projects almost as much upside. Somewhat different QB types to be sure, but I'm not married to one or another prototype. Bottom line is I think Jackson is close to Mike Vick (he could end up better) and if I had to chose between JA and Mike Vick, I'd take Vick (with better intangibles). Not that I dont like Allen (or Mayfield or Darnold). They are all pretty good prospects IMO (so we gotta get one!) but I think if this was two years ago only Rosen would be spoken of as on a same level as Goff and Wentz. All the others would be 1b guys. Still good, just not top tier. 

8 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

Of course... I guess that we all would... although I would still be wondering what Beane and McDermott see that few others seem to.

In my experience, quarterback is the sole position on the roster where guys with good tools and no toolbox seldom succeed (e.g. Bills last 2 #1's Manuel & Losman).

JMO but when Allen flashes his talent (which he does not infrequently) he looks a lot better than Losman or EJ ever did. He's a good prospect but ideally he goes to a team with an established veteran starter and a good QB coach (thats not us). He's not Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus. They were a couple of F'ups. Allen is a good kid. In some ways he  is perfect for Buffalo. Big, blue collar, down to earth, and sporting probably the biggest gun in the nfl. 

14 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Less risk IMO and projects almost as much upside. Somewhat different QB types to be sure, but I'm not married to one or another prototype. Bottom line is I think Jackson is close to Mike Vick (he could end up better) and if I had to chose between JA and Mike Vick, I'd take Vick (with better intangibles). Not that I dont like Allen (or Mayfield or Darnold). They are all pretty good prospects IMO (so we gotta get one!) but I think if this was two years ago only Rosen would be spoken of as on a same level as Goff and Wentz. All the others would be 1b guys. Still good, just not top tier. 

JMO but when Allen flashes his talent (which he does not infrequently) he looks a lot better than Losman or EJ ever did. He's a good prospect but ideally he goes to a team with an established veteran starter and a good QB coach (thats not us). He's not Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus. They were a couple of F'ups. Allen is a good kid. In some ways he  is perfect for Buffalo. Big, blue collar, down to earth, and sporting probably the biggest gun in the nfl. 

Probably the best thing about getting McCarron under contract I think... hopefully it allows the Bills to select one of the top QB's in April's draft... and gives them valuable time to "coach them up".  The kid shouldn't play until he is the best player at his position.  This is my understanding of the prevailing view from Bills' management as well.  Having to wait for a little while doesn't seem to have harmed Aaron Rodgers development at all.

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I admit to watching zero Wyoming football outside of a passing glance. I have seen a few of the others though. I do think all the negativity surrounding Allen is interesting considering so many actual NFL people see him as a very high pick. 

The only reason that I don’t think he’s the Bills plan A guy is that he is not ready to play yet and is more of a project like Mahomes. The Bills traded away their starting QB and then were very passive about acquiring a QB in FA. This tells me they are targeting a QB is more of a day 1 starter. That’s not allen. Coupled with that are the reports that they are feeding nfl reporters info that they want allen ... means they don’t but they want everyone to think they do so they can manipulate draft position. 

This is a good take on the situation...I will say Beane as a very narrow window and it is going to hurt to move up, if he is able to (The cost will be very very high). There is now room to mess around. He is going to have to pounce on NYG or CLE is ready to take an offer. If we were (which I believe) in on the 3rd pick, we only have one shot to move up and he is trying to measure this very carefully...

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I admit to watching zero Wyoming football outside of a passing glance. I have seen a few of the others though. I do think all the negativity surrounding Allen is interesting considering so many actual NFL people see him as a very high pick. 

The only reason that I don’t think he’s the Bills plan A guy is that he is not ready to play yet and is more of a project like Mahomes. The Bills traded away their starting QB and then were very passive about acquiring a QB in FA. This tells me they are targeting a QB is more of a day 1 starter. That’s not allen. Coupled with that are the reports that they are feeding nfl reporters info that they want allen ... means they don’t but they want everyone to think they do so they can manipulate draft position. 

What I get a kick out of is the hearing of past interest in Josh Rosen who was the opposite of Allen in the sense that he had some really good receivers in his final season and yet the UCLA Bruins went 6-7 and lost their bowl game. That Lasley kid had 69 receptions for 1264 yards, 18.3 avg with 9 TDs. Andrews also had 60 receptions 773 yards, 12.9 avg, 10 TDs. Granted those guys still dropped a ton of passes and not sure why just yet. 

This kid scares me with his durability issues and the fact that he struggles to elude pressure, can't escape the pocket so when he gets hit it usually results in an injury. Concussion issues. Unlike Allen, when Rosen is forced to move out of the pocket his accuracy drops like crazy to 42.4 and he has a poor deep ball completion percentage. UCLA runs a 3 WR pro-style set but in a WCO scheme that doesn't throw deep that often. Rosen's arm isn't all that strong either.

Rosen looks as slick as it gets because he was in a scheme that fits what he does. I'd rather draft Allen and let him sit a year. Isn't that why they signed AJ? 

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Slippery slope. That line of smoke & mirrors could also be the best hoodwink of all...tell everyone that so they think you're bluffing, when in fact you aren't. Lmao. Serious poker game going on right now. My money's on McBeane to get it right, cuz that's all I have lol

55 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

JMO but when Allen flashes his talent (which he does not infrequently) he looks a lot better than Losman or EJ ever did. He's a good prospect but ideally, he goes to a team with an established veteran starter and a good QB coach (that's not us). He's not Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus. They were a couple of F'ups.

Allen is a good kid. In some ways, he  is perfect for Buffalo. Big, blue collar, down to earth, and sporting probably the biggest gun in the NFL. 

Man, I love watching this kid throw. Reminds me so much of Kelly to Beebe, Lofton. Bombs away! Kelly though had more of a Baker Mayfield attitude.

Not probably, I think he will have the strongest arm in the NFL once he gets there. I just hope he doesn't go to Cleveland or the NY Jets who will most likely ruin him. If the NY Giants refuse to trade out of that #2 pick I can see him going there.

So Jackson is definitely the target and now Allen is definitely the target...

Both cant be right...truth is neither person really knows anything of truth and anything they heard is likely intentional misdirection

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

So Jackson is definitely the target and now Allen is definitely the target...

Both cant be right...truth is neither person really knows anything of truth and anything they heard is likely intentional misdirection

Darnold & Rosen

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

The sad fact is that some Bills fans are simply far too lazy to look into the reasons as to why Allen's completion percentage didn't improve in his last season at Wyoming. Due to the fact that the entire class of 2016 that touched the football had moved on and he was dealing with all rookies who were constantly dropping passes.  He was literally running for his life most games and yet the team still went 8-5 and won their bowl game. Or that his YPA was a mere 6.7 in college and at the Senior bowl that improved to 12.2. 

Most fans would rather sit back and regurgitate what others are saying that accuracy can't be fixed ...which I've already shown is ridiculous to say.  

There is a real reason as to why a lot of NFL scouts and draft analysts have Josh Allen as the #1 pick overall going to the Browns. Come to think of it I don't know why I even bother attempting to enlighten my fellow fans should they want to end it all should the Bills actually draft this kid. Simply because he will be gone after the first three picks...unless they trade up to two to draft him.:P 

Allen reminds a lot of people of Elway. Big arm, mobile, and loads of upside and raw talent. Folks forget Elway had a shaky first year in Denver. Allen may be the same but it'll be fun watching him develop.