It's us or the lions for Demulling

Take it up with the coaches.  That's the way they seem to be leaning.  I just don't think the Bills (read: McNally) are that impressed with Teague at center and are looking to replace him and try him out at LT.  This goes back to that post by the guy who went to a coaches meeting that McNally was at, where McNally said that the Bills will try-out Peters and Teague at LT, and Bannan at LG, and that Teague was just "OK" last year.  I don't think that "OK" is what they're looking for at center, and if Teague could make the transition from college center to NFL LT, then back to center, he can make the transition back to LT.  And DeMulling himself said that he can play center.  So it's not like this is all fanciful stuff.  It's an attempt to make the O-line better, rather than having the same-old same-old that isn't good enough, or more precisely, could be better.

272420[/snapback]

MBD...this is the post you are referring to and I find it hard to believe that McNally would be making player evaluation statements at a public speaking engagement. Just my 2 cents.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/inde...showtopic=44796

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBD...this is the post you are referring to and I find it hard to believe that McNally would  be making player evaluation statements at a public speaking engagement.  Just my 2 cents.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/inde...showtopic=44796

It was a Football Coaches Association clinic. It wasn't your average public speaking engagement. I happen to believe the poster heard what he did and didn't make it up, and given that, it doesn't make sense that McNally would feel the need to say the stuff he did if he didn't mean it. I don't know, but again the sense I get is that the Bills are looking to upgrade at center.

The name you don't see mentioned on TBD.  What about this guy?  I hear he's pretty good and can help our offensive line.

272524[/snapback]

I think the Buffalo Bills are "mulling" this player over....

I think the Buffalo Bills are "mulling" this player over....

272527[/snapback]

Okay, that's the sixth time.......anyone want to go for seven? <_<

Again, why would you shift a 3 year NFL starter at Center (Teague) to LT and then shift a 3 year starter at LG (DeMulling) to Center and then leave yourself a hole at LG? Instead leave them where they're used to playing and focus on finding a "true" LT. I know it's more difficult to find a LT then a LG and that's why I was hoping against all hope we could of re-signed Jennings this offseason. Yet since we can't I'm calling for us to sign Womack (even though I feel he's a better fit at RT because not sure he's athletic enough to play LT but feel alot comfortable with him there then Teague or a rookie) and draft a LG.

272416[/snapback]

First of all....a question because I didn't follow it that closely....

- How many years did Trey Teague play for the broncs after they drafted him? If the answer his "he played 2 years" or something to that effect please be advised that it can take as long as THREE YEARS for a offensive linemen to reach their full potential....thats right....THREE YEARS and that depends if he played as a starter....

- In how close of proximity was the ACL injury to the "sucky" year he had? If it was in those first 2 years that has a major impact on his progress

Look fellow bills brothers and sisters....Trey Teague is not my first choice for Left Tackle because I want to see a 320 pound plus athletic run blocking mauler at that position....BUT.....if we dont have any other option it makes sense to move Teague out there to give us "John Fina with some attitude" type player for a year......then you can move Tucker to the center spot.....and draft a LG or find a LG in free agency.......

At least the right side of our line is secure....and we have a few different people who can play center......

Its not the best situation.....but at least we have a mobile QB now that we can move around.....we arent going to need to give 4 solid seconds of protection on EVERY SINGLE PLAY to keep things from falling apart on offense this year......

Now that said....I would like to see both Shelton and Floyd Womak here......and draft our LT of the future in the draft.....

First of all....a question because I didn't follow it that closely....

- How many years did Trey Teague play for the broncs after they drafted him?  If the answer his "he played 2 years" or something to that effect please be advised that it can take as long as THREE YEARS for a offensive linemen to reach their full potential....thats right....THREE YEARS and that depends if he played as a starter....

- In how close of proximity was the ACL injury to the "sucky" year he had?  If it was in those first 2 years that has a major impact on his progress

Look fellow bills brothers and sisters....Trey Teague is not my first choice for Left Tackle because I want to see a 320 pound plus athletic run blocking mauler at that position....BUT.....if we dont have any other option it makes sense to move Teague out there to give us "John Fina with some attitude" type player for a year......then you can move Tucker to the center spot.....and draft a LG or find a LG in free agency.......

At least the right side of our line is secure....and we have a few different people who can play center......

Its not the best situation.....but at least we have a mobile QB now that we can move around.....we arent going to need to give 4 solid seconds of protection on EVERY SINGLE PLAY to keep things from falling apart on offense this year......

Now that said....I would like to see both Shelton and Floyd Womak here......and draft our LT of the future in the draft.....

272715[/snapback]

Teague was drafted in 1998. He rode the bench the entire 1998 regular season. In 1999 he was credited with playing 16 game and starting 4 at LT. Again it's hard to know in which games he gave up sacks etc but if go by sacks by start he gave up 1.50 in 4 which would calculate to .38/game. In 2000 he started the season as a backup but because the starter got hurt in first game Teague was put in season but Teague himself went down in the second game with the ACL injury. 2001 was his first year as a full time starter when he gave up the 11.25 in 16. In 2002 he signed with us and was converted to C. Again Teague might be able to contribute at LT but I'm not for jumbling the line. If we leave Teague at C that would leave us with the Center - Right Tackle side of the line complete. Leaving us a hole at LG and LT.

272828[/snapback]

I'd add that Teague was drafted as a C, a position at where he became an All-American during college. So it's fair to say that his most natural OL position is C. Surround him with better run blockers than himself, and he's a more than adequate C at the NFL level. But at LT, Teague is too slow for the good DE's in the league and too light to generate any sort of run game on the left side without an absolutely dominant LG spotting him. You get what you pay for in this league. Shift Teague to LT, and you get a very inexpensive replacement for Jennings. However, expect an increase in sacks and a decrease in yds/carry for Willis on the left side...

In my opinion, here's what I'd do with our OL and with DeMulling:

I prefer like many of you do to leave Teague, Villarial, and MW at the same positions as last year. That leaves LG to upgrade and JJ's old position to replace.

Lions will almost certainly overpay for DeMulling, and he's not really needed here for $3 million a year. DeMulling is good, but the surrounding linemen/Peyton in Indy made him look better.

Big ol' Pork Chop easily upgrades LG at a fair price, as I think he'd be a borderline Pro Bowl alternate at LG as opposed to either tackle position where he is just a tad bit too slow to operate in that much lateral space.

Assuming we don't replace JJ internally, Shelton remains the best and possibly only remaining option for us in replacing (let alone upgrading) LT. Trade talks with Arizona seem dead, but that's ok. I fully expect the Cards to cut a $3 million/year backup lineman who the head coach hates. We can pick him up then, and we can save Henry for another trade with a more RB-starved team (soon to be the Colts?).

Here's what TD had to say about Teague:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8282644

"We're going to look at Trey," Bills President and General Manager Tom Donahoe said. "When we signed him, we liked him as a tackle. It just worked out better for us his first year that he play at center because of his experience. But we believe he can make the transition back to tackle. If the coaches feel that gives us the best chance to be successful, they will look at it."

Gandy was also mentioned, but no mention of Peters.

My source doesn't know anything about the Buffalo jersey inncident, but he did say DeMulling was very close to signing, could happend tomorrow morning.

this quote was in the lions fan link (undercover mike) above - what was the Buffalo jersey incident w/ demulling? did I miss something?

this quote was in the lions fan link (undercover mike) above - what was the Buffalo jersey incident w/ demulling?  did I miss something?

273113[/snapback]

Another poster on that Board reported that his brother-in-law is the equip. manager for the Bills and told him he was told not to order a DeMulling jersey for a press conference, because DeMulling would soon be signing with Detroit.

Another poster on that Board reported that his brother-in-law is the equip. manager for the Bills and told him he was told not to order a DeMulling jersey for a press conference, because DeMulling would soon be signing with Detroit.

273117[/snapback]

Well....that sucks. 0:)