(OT) New uniforms, blue ice for Sabres?

Buftex

Assuming the NHL ever returns, and the Sabres are still around, I am all for a uniform change, but not so crazy about this new "blue ice" phenomenon....the "new" Sabres uniforms of the last few years are absolutely atrocious! Any change would be welcome!

Quinn hints at uniform change

3.10.2005 : SabreFans

Buffalo Sabres' managing partner Larry Quinn hinted at a uniform change for the Sabres for the 2006-7 season. Quinn was quoted in an article in today's Buffalo News that a change to blue tinted ice could lead to a return to more "colorful jerserys". Quinn also acknowledged many fans remain fond of the Sabres' original blue and gold colors. Quinn was part of the organization when the Sabres changed from what I thought were very classy jerseys to the current Picasso/gangsta scheme (let's not talk about the awful red butterknife third jersey). Quinn stressed any uniform change could not talk place until the 2006-7 season at the earliest.

Buffalo News source

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050310/1040241.asp

Calling out CoachChuckDickerson ... I'm waiting for my apology! I told you and everyone else this was the case a month ago in this thread and your questioned my sources.

Who Luvs Ya Baby!

Assuming the NHL ever returns, and the Sabres are still around, I am all for a uniform change, but not so crazy about this new "blue ice" phenomenon....the "new" Sabres uniforms of the last few years are absolutely atrocious!  Any change would be welcome!

Quinn hints at uniform change

3.10.2005 : SabreFans

Buffalo Sabres' managing partner Larry Quinn hinted at a uniform change for the Sabres for the 2006-7 season. Quinn was quoted in an article in today's Buffalo News that a change to blue tinted ice could lead to a return to more "colorful jerserys". Quinn also acknowledged many fans remain fond of the Sabres' original blue and gold colors. Quinn was part of the organization when the Sabres changed from what I thought were very classy jerseys to the current Picasso/gangsta scheme (let's not talk about the awful red butterknife third jersey). Quinn stressed any uniform change could not talk place until the 2006-7 season at the earliest.

Buffalo News source

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050310/1040241.asp

271165[/snapback]

I kind of laughed at the idea at first, but then I saw a picture of it in the news and thought well I'm going to one of those two upcoming games so it will be interesting to see.

Then I saw it on channel 2 and 4 during their sportscasts yesterday and I gotta tell ya it looked very cool! :blink:

As the owner of a High Definition tv I really can't wait to see a game with the blue ice in hi def. I don't know when that chance will come but I would love to see it.

The snorting goat painted on center ice looked vivid.

Don't toss this idea aside until you see how much color it adds. If it does nothing other increase ratings when the game returns, so much for the better because they are going to have a very tough time selling the game to anyone who isn't a hardcore fan. This will help.

A cool idea to help out with tv ratings would be to reinvent that Fox puck that glowed. The way fox used it, it really sucked and was a joke. I'm not saying it should be a laser, but just add a darker black halo around it like hockey video games use. Keep it subtle and I think it would look pretty good and help the casual fan who "can't see the puck" with that problem.

I'm interested to see how this blue ice looks.

Jersey change would be awsome, back to the blue and gold!! Please get rid of the angry Buffalo head! I've seen several peoples ideas two years ago when the Galasano bought the team and they wore the jerseys in one of there games.

I've also seen that the NHL will partner with Reebock and they are going to move away from the sweater style jersey. The whole NHL experence will be based on HDTV as well.

I hate losing hockey but if the owners can reshape the league it will all be worth it!"

OUT

Old Tyme Hockey, baby!  Bring back the blue ice for good.

271274[/snapback]

In all seriousness, did the NHL used to have blue ice? I have been wathcing hockey since the early 70's, and other than the odd exhibition/olympic game, I don't remember it being common place. I have noticed it a bit in college hockey over the last few years...personally, I don't like it....what is the point? I have a friend who grew up here in Texas, and says he can't watch hockey on tv, because "you can't see the puck". While this is not a problem for me, it seems the blue ice would only make that problem worse!

In all seriousness, did the NHL used to have blue ice?  I have been wathcing hockey since the early 70's, and other than the odd exhibition/olympic game, I don't remember it being common place.  I have noticed it a bit in college hockey over the last few years...personally, I don't like it....what is the point?  I have a friend who grew up here in Texas, and says he can't watch hockey on tv, because "you can't see the puck".  While this is not a problem for me, it seems the blue ice would only make that problem worse!

271341[/snapback]

Actually, in the old days, everything was entirely in blacks, whites and various gray's. At least, that is how it looked on my TV.

I am kinda of hockey ignorant. Can somebody nicely explain the "neutral zone trap?"

I never really heard it explained. I get the basics where the puck carrier has no other option but to "dump" it in.

Just X's and O's please.

Thanks!

Also... I think the yellow line (or other bright color) around the boards was added because of TV, so the people watching could pick up on the puck better?

I am kinda of hockey ignorant.  Can somebody nicely explain the "neutral zone trap?"

I never really heard it explained.  I get the basics where the puck carrier has no other option but to "dump" it in.

Just X's and O's please.

Thanks!

Also... I think the yellow line (or other bright color) around the boards was added because of TV, so the people watching could pick up on the puck better?

271459[/snapback]

You ask and you shall receive...

The Neutral zone trap is a defensive ice hockey strategy used by a team to deter an opposing team from proceeding through the neutral zone (the area between both blue lines). The strategy is generally used to level the playing field for teams that are not as offensively talented as their opponent. However, the trap is used on occasion by teams simply looking to protect a lead near the end of the game.

The neutral zone trap consists of a team having four of their forward players in the neutral zone, and one forechecking in the offensive zone. As the offensive team starts to move up the ice, the forechecker (generally the center) will cut off passing lanes to other offensive players by staying in the middle of the ice, which forces the puck carrier to either sideboard.

The defensive wingers--who are typically placed on or near the red line--will be positioned by the boards to take the puck carrier, prevent passing, or even other players from moving through. The two defensemen who are positioned on or near the blue line are the last defense should the play move past the wingers and the center.

The trap has been widely criticized for lowering scoring and making the game less exciting for fans, but it has proven to be very successful, especially in the playoffs a la the NJ Devils. A number of proposals to ban the trap have been proposed, but none have been taken seriously.