Thinking outside the box on the Foles Buzz

macaroni

What if ....

The Bills intention all along is to trade up in the draft to get a QB that they have fallen in love with, the catch being that they feel that they have to be at the #2 pick to ensure getting him? I could see the conversation going something like this ....

Bills .... hey Giants guys ... just spit balling here ... we'd sure like to swing a trade for your #2 spot in the draft.

NYG ... OK shoot ... what do you have in mind?

Bills ... We're thinking something like a package of XXX, YYY, and ZZZ for your #2

NYG ... Nope ... not enough, to get our #2, we want AAA, BBB, CCC, DDD, and next years AAA

Bills ... HOLEY MOLEY that's wayyyyyy to much

NYG ... Maybe so ... but you have to sweeten the deal

Bills ... OK...OK...OK ... listen Eli is getting a bit long in the tooth ... you got to be looking for a viable back up that is capable of taking over the reigns if Eli poops the bed this season.

NYG ... Hmmmmm ... keep talking

Bills ... we'll give you ... XXX, YYY, ZZZ and throw in Taylor

NYG .... PFFFFFFFFT .... you just made me spit my coffee out ... you said "VIABLE BACK UP" you said "CAPABLE TO TAKE THE REIGNS"

Giants slam the phone down

Beane thinking to himself ..... Self ... the Eagles are in cap trouble ... rumors are that Foles can be had .... Hmmmmm (picks up his phone)

Bills ..... hey Eagles guys ... we're just spit balling here ... we'd be willing to take Nick Foles off your hands and help you out with your cap problems ...

Eagles ... OK we're listening ... what do you have in mind

Bills ... Ohhhhh I don't know ... how does pick #56 sound???

Eagles ... your joking right????? You DO know he's the Super Bowl MVP???

Bills .... Yeah ... but if you think of it, he's your back  ... if Wentz was healthy, he would have never even seen the field.

Eagles ... Your right ... but he wasn't and he did ... so you have to sweeten the deal ... maybe both your seconds ... I'd even consider #56 and a high third rounder ... but #96 isn't it.

Bills ... A little too rich for my blood right now ... maybe I'll get back to you

Beane sits back thinking to himself .... self ... how can I get a second or high third draft pick ... who could I trade .... Shadey???? .... nahhhh he's over 30% of our offense .... Hmmmm ... only guy I'd be willing to part with at this point of the off season is Taylor .... but who in their right mind would give me a second/third pick for Taylor now .... Hmmmmm .... I got this phone number in the back of my rolodex .......

Bills .... hey Browns guy ... just kinda spit balling here ... how would you like to add an experienced QB that has taken his team to the play offs???

Browns ... what did you have in mind???

Bills ... we'll send you Taylor for your second

Browns ... that's a bit rich for me ... how about a third???

Bills ... make it #65 and you got a deal ... don't forget you're getting a playoff caliber QB for a measly 3rd round pick

Browns ... sounds great to me ... done deal

So this is how it COULD play out

We give the Eagles #56 and #65 for Foles (in essence one of our second rounders and Taylor)

We package picks XXX, YYY, ZZZ AND the Super Bowl MVP to the Giants for their #2 pick

Edited by macaroni
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What does Bridgewater or Bradford have to do with Foles? 

Fixed

1 minute ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

There’s just so much going on here...

Yep .... it's hard to GM in the NFL ... LOL out loud

11 minutes ago, macaroni said:

What if ....

The Bills intention all along is to trade up in the draft to get a QB that they have fallen in love with, the catch being that they feel that they have to be at the #2 pick to ensure getting him? I could see the conversation going something like this ....

Bills .... hey Giants guys ... just spit balling here ... we'd sure like to swing a trade for your #2 spot in the draft.

Bills ... We're thinking something like a package of XXX, YYY, and ZZZ for your #2

NYG ... Nope ... not enough, to get our #2, we want AAA, BBB, CCC, DDD, and next years AAA

Bills ... OK...OK...OK ... listen Eli is getting a bit long in the tooth ... you got to be looking for a viable back up that is capable of taking over the reigns if Eli poops the bed this season.

NYG .... PFFFFFFFFT .... you just made me spit my coffee out ... you said "VIABLE BACK UP" you said "CAPABLE TO TAKE THE REIGNS"

Beane thinking to himself ..... Self ... the Eagles are in cap trouble ... rumors are that Foles can be had .... Hmmmmm (picks up his phone)

Bills ..... hey Eagles guys ... we're just spit balling here ... we'd be willing to take Nick Foles off your hands and help you out with your cap problems ...

Bills .... Yeah ... but if you think of it, he's your back up to your back up ... if Bridgewater or Bradford was healthy, he would have never even seen the field.

Eagles ... Your right ... but they weren't and he did ... so you have to sweeten the deal ... maybe both your seconds ... I'd even consider #56 and a high third rounder ... but #96 isn't it.

Bills ... A little too rich for my blood right now ... maybe I'll get back to you

Beane sits back thinking to himself .... self ... how can I get a second or high third draft pick ... who could I trade .... Shadey???? .... nahhhh he's over 30% of our offense .... Hmmmm ... only guy I'd be willing to part with at this point of the off season is Taylor .... but who in their right mind would give me a second/third pick for Taylor now .... Hmmmmm .... I got this phone number in the back of my rolodex .......

Bills .... hey Browns guy ... just kinda spit balling here ... how would you like to add an experienced QB that has taken his team to the play offs???

Bills ... make it #65 and you got a deal ... don't forget you're getting a playoff caliber QB for a measly 3rd round pick

We give the Eagles #56 and #65 for Foles (in essence one of our second rounders and Taylor)

We package picks XXX, YYY, ZZZ AND the Super Bowl MVP to the Giants for their #2 pick

This overlooks the fact that Foles can occasionally get hot, but he really isn’t very good as a starter and he is 29 - not exactly a young prospect.  Before anyone jumps in and says he could have 8 years left because Brady is still playing - that is NOT likely.

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

This overlooks the fact that Foles can occasionally get hot, but he really isn’t very good as a starter and he is 29 - not exactly a young prospect.  Before anyone jumps in and says he could have 8 years left because Brady is still playing - that is NOT likely.

Foles lives a very clean life..just like Brady and Brees do.

22 minutes ago, macaroni said:

What if ....

Bills .... Yeah ... but if you think of it, he's your back  ... if Wentz was healthy, he would have never even seen the field.

Eagles ... Your right ... but he wasn't and he did ... so you have to sweeten the deal ... maybe both your seconds ... I'd even consider #56 and a high third rounder ... but #96 isn't it.

Holy crap you are a "deep thinker". 

Not sure Giants want Foles though.

While I wouldnt hate having Foles next year, I would hate giving up much for him.  Just go get a real good prospect in the draft already.  Don't trade for a 6 year vet who has had 1 good season years ago and 3 good games out of 6 in 2018.  

Foles followed up his one good season with 2 terrible ones as a starter for both the Eagles and Rams..so bad, both teams gave up on him.  Then in 2018 he plays 6 games, 3 of which are outstanding, and 3 of which he averaged 149 yards had no TD's and 2 INT's.  

Why waste one or more picks on him then also spend a ton of picks to get a prospect?  Thats the craziest notion I have seen, there are SEVERAL Veteran QB options in FA available to hold the fort down for whatever rookie we go draft.  The ONLY way Foles trade makes sense is if the Bills FO believe he is the QB to lead this team and they DONT plan to draft a QB this year.  

I just dont understand why anyone would want to give up VALUABLE draft picks for a veteran like Foles and then still also give up a bounty to move up and draft another QB.  Just sign Keenum, Bradford, Teddy, McCown, AJ, etc if that is the case where it cost NO draft picks then go draft a QB.  Hell, I would rather let Nate Pickerman play while the rookie we draft sits then give up assets for a guy we dont see as our future like Foles.  Even if we lose, who cares, its all about the future with the rookie.  

So a BIG NO on BOTH trading for Foles and drafting a QB high.  Either trade for Foles and pass on a QB and focus on the rest of the team in the draft...OR do NOT trade for foles, sign someone in FA and then draft our future high in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Actually ... your over looking the fact that I'm just being a bit silly here ... conversations (to the best of my knowledge) that never happened, exchanging offers (to the best of my knowledge) that have never been made, to shoehorn my perception of a real life situation (I believe that the Bills want to trade up in the draft, I also believe the Bills have offered the Eagles a second round draft pick for Foles) for some light hearted reading in the dead time before free agency.

Nowhere in the post did I say Foles was a GOOD/GREAT or even serviceable QB ... just thought it would be funny if the "seller" just kept referring to him as the Super Bowl MVP ... also I never said Taylor was good, bad or indifferent ... but once again referred to him as a play off caliber QB ... once again "gilding the lily" as any good salesman does. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, macaroni said:

Actually ... your over looking the fact that I'm just being a bit silly here ... conversations (to the best of my knowledge) that never happened, exchanging offers (to the best of my knowledge) that have never been made, to shoehorn my perception of a real life situation (I believe that the Bills want to trade up in the draft, I also believe the Bills have offered the Eagles a second round draft pick for Foles) for some light hearted reading in the dead time before free agency.

Nowhere in the post did I say Foles was a GOOD/GREAT or even serviceable QB ... just thought it would be funny if the "seller" just kept referring to him as the Super Bowl MVP ... also I never said Taylor was good, bad or indifferent ... but once again referred to him as a play off caliber QB ... once again "gilding the lily" as any good salesman does. 

Ok, so we are on about the same page?

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

Ok, so we are on about the same page?

Sure ... from one old timer to another ....

I have NO idea what the heck OBD has in their little bag of tricks for this free agency period & Draft. This is the first time in a long time that I'm more than happy to trust the process ... they want to trade for a veteran QB ... I'm OK with it .... want to pull a Mike Ditka and trade our entire compliment of draft picks for pick #1 ... I'm OK with it ... want to hold pat and take a QB that falls to them at #21 ... I'm OK with it.

I'm just a fan, my income isn't determined by the choices made by the scouting staff/GM/Head coach. I just have to sit back and enjoy.

If I was running the Eagles front office then I would keep Foles for 2018. Maybe trade him mid 2018 or let him become a free agent. 

I don't think Foles is beating down their door and asking for a trade. The dude is already a Philly legend. 

I think it makes the most sense for him to stay in Philly. 

Edited by Bendernaught

8 minutes ago, Bendernaught said:

If I was running the Eagles front office then I would keep Foles for 2018. Maybe trade him in 2019, but even that's not a given. 

I don't think Foles is beating down their door and asking for a trade. The dude is already a Philly legend. 

I think it makes the most sense for him to stay in Philly. 

He's a free agent in 2019

3 minutes ago, Casey D said:

He's a free agent in 2019

True. If he is on the roster in February then he is a free agent. I guess I should reword this to express my thoughts. 

Not long ago, Foles wasn't even sure that he wanted to play football anymore. I am not sold that even he wants to leave Philly. He is a God there. Forever a legend, at this point. 

Just now, Bendernaught said:

True. If he is on the roster in February then he is a free agent. I guess I should reword this to express my thoughts. 

Not long ago, Foles wasn't even sure that he wanted to play football anymore. I am not sold that even he wants to leave Philly. He is a God there. Forever a legend, at this point. 

But Philly is in cap hell and has few draft picks.  True they might get sentimental, but Foles' value is as high now as it ever will be.  Smart management would move him.

4 minutes ago, Bendernaught said:

Yep - he (Foles) knows that he is marginal and doesn’t have the drive to fight through that.  I would not give more than a third round pick for him and even at that that I wouldn’t count on him.

Edited by OldTimer1960

3 minutes ago, Casey D said:

But Philly is in cap hell and has few draft picks.  True they might get sentimental, but Foles' value is as high now as it ever will be.  Smart management would move him.

To me, it would be more than a sentimental reason to keep him or for him to stay. 

What guarantee do they have that Wentz will be healthy on Day 1? Why trade away the guy who just brought in the first Super Bowl victory in franchise history when the starting quarterback in on the mend and could be out a while?

Edited by Bendernaught