Trade Dion Dawkins

45 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

That's fair. And I agree with much of what you said.

My line of thinking in this fantasy scenario where including Dawkins negates the need to include next year's 1st is that if you gave up next year's 1st it could be a top 10 pick (esp. if we are playing the rookie QB we trade up for), and if you gave me the choice of Dawkins or a top 10 pick, I'd take the top 10 pick.

You can either get a potentially elite player with that pick or trade back again and pick up another 1st + 3rd rounder. 

I like the the idea of Glenn and Dawkins as our bookend tackles too. It just hasn't worked out that way so far. Maybe it will this season? 

Or maybe neither Glenn nor Dawkins can play RT... seems worth a try though. 

The thing is next years 1st could also be a complete bust of a player in this hypothetical scenario. Dawkins showed a lot his rookie year and is a player at a premium position on an uber affordable deal. I would rather go with a guy that you know can play as opposed to holding onto a future pick. If you are going to start a rookie QB you kind of have to consider the protection you are offering him. If Glenn gets hurt and Dawkins isn't on the team you could have a disastrous O-line esp if InCogs play declines more. This o-line is already pretty fragile crippling it to preserve a 1st next year isn't a good idea in my mind. 

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The thing is next years 1st could also be a complete bust of a player in this hypothetical scenario. Dawkins showed a lot his rookie year and is a player at a premium position on an uber affordable deal. I would rather go with a guy that you know can play as opposed to holding onto a future pick. If you are going to start a rookie QB you kind of have to consider the protection you are offering him. If Glenn gets hurt and Dawkins isn't on the team you could have a disastrous O-line esp if InCogs play declines more. This o-line is already pretty fragile crippling it to preserve a 1st next year isn't a good idea in my mind. 

There are a ton about of people that want to trade Glenn. What happens if Dawkins gets hurt in that situation?

9 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

There are a ton about of people that want to trade Glenn. What happens if Dawkins gets hurt in that situation?

I like the trade scenario we are talking bout on this board but that's a interesting pt u make . To me that gives more of a reason to keep Cordy and Dawkins if we don't use them to trade up for QB. Not many teams have that luxury of 2 guys that can play LT at a high level. 

On 3/7/2018 at 8:22 PM, Putin said:

Really? Are you really sure ? To be honest it wouldn't surprise if we trade anyone on our roaster including the rookies , 

Well, I certainly hope no players, rookies included, are on the roaster... because that sounds painful... uncomfortable at the least.

On the one hand, yes, the execs say all the time that they are always evaluating the roster, always listening to offers, always evaluating those offers, etc. etc. But there are most certainly players on this roster labeled "Safe" or "That Dude Ain't Goin' Nowhere." Logically thinking, Dion Dawkins, being the third ever draft choice by McDermott, is on that list. He performed pretty well last year in place of Glenn, his contract is much more affordable than Glenn's and he's younger. That's not to knock Cordy, I like that guy, I think he's a strong, solid, good all-around player. Doesn't do anything spectacular, but doesn't do anything terribly either. But when you compare the two players, knowing how Beane wants to clear as much cap space as he can, you can easily connect the dots and say that Glenn is a guy they wouldn't hesitate to part ways with if the right deal comes along. The issue is his contract. Again, he's a good player, but he's being paid like a Pro Bowler and now with the foot injuries he's had, his value is down.

We could very well see a Sammy-type situation with Cordy. He spends the off-season getting healthy, goes into camp labeled as the #1 LT, they showcase him in some pre-season games and then swing a deal to a team in need of a left tackle and then tell Dawkins he's the guy at LT.

• Like (+1) 1