Assuming Darnold and Rosen go 1-2 ... would you make this trade?

Bakin

21, 22, 2019 1st and Glenn for Baker Mayfield  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do it?

• YES!!!
    • NO!!!

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The deal that was stated is not enough. You would have to throw in one of this year's second round picks into the mix. So the deal would be both our first round picks (in return getting a high first), a second round pick this year, a second round pick next year and Cordy Glenn. I would take this deal for Mayfield in a heartbeat. For nearly the past quarter century the Bills have lacked an authentic franchise qb. The proposed deal would be a very reasonable deal for both parties involved in the exchange. You may not be happy with the deal but I would be exuberant. 

If they could get Mayfield for 21, 22 a 2nd this year and next - I would consider that - i just don’t think that gets them into the top 5

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

Marino played 17 seasons, shame on the Dolphins for not building a proper team around him.

What is wrong establishing your QB and building around him?

Problem is, how do you build around him if you give up a ton of high picks just to get him?  You can add in FA, but that isn’t enough to build a strong roster.

Again, if you can draft Brady or Rodgers, you might be all set.

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The deal that was stated is not enough. You would have to throw in one of this year's second round picks into the mix. So the deal would be both our first round picks (in return getting a high first), a second round pick this year, a second round pick next year and Cordy Glenn. I would take this deal for Mayfield in a heartbeat. For nearly the past quarter century the Bills have lacked an authentic franchise qb. The proposed deal would be a very reasonable deal for both parties involved in the exchange. You may not be happy with the deal but I would be exuberant. 

Good for you.  I like Mayfield, but I wouldn't pay that price for him specifically. 

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

If they could get Mayfield for 21, 22 a 2nd this year and next - I would consider that - i just don’t think that gets them into the top 5

You may be right that a deal under any circumstances might not be possible. A team with less picks to offer but those involved are higher picks may be more appealing to the seller. Or it might be possible that the higher rung teams might simply not want to deal at all. 

4 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Marino played 17 seasons, shame on the Dolphins for not building a proper team around him.

What is wrong establishing your QB and building around him?

Nothing wrong with it at all. There is really no set order of things. The Bills need better at the QB position to get to where they'd like to be. That much we know. The draft route will cost quite a bit of draft capital. The FA route will cost big $$ but leave the draft capital untouched. As for cap space, the Bills are currently in the middle of the pack, but at the top in dead money. They should be much better in that department next year. Each route has costs and benefits, and there is no easy answer. I hope Beane and McD get it right. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

Problem is, how do you build around him if you give up a ton of high picks just to get him?  You can add in FA, but that isn’t enough to build a strong roster.

Again, if you can draft Brady or Rodgers, you might be all set.

You take the hit for 1year and build around him. Even if the Bills give up both 1st's and 2nd's this year all is not lost if your QB is established for the next 15 years.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good for you.  I like Mayfield, but I wouldn't pay that price for him specifically. 

Ultimately it's up to McBeane to determine whether it is worth it or not. Whether this regime can make a deal is not known at this time. But I think they are going to try hard to get it done.  

Just now, JohnC said:

Ultimately it's up to McBeane to determine whether it is worth it or not. Whether this regime can make a deal is not known at this time. But I think they are going to try hard to get it done.  

I hope they do. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

You seem to ask that question a lot. :lol:  

First off, I think you are mistaking me for someone else... if you check my history, you will find I have never asked that question before.

Second, you never answered my question. :)

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m convinced Rosen is their guy and they will move heaven and earth to get him.

reality: I’ll probably be super disappointed on draft day and need to stock up on vodka.

I feel the same way. With Mayfield as my #2 QB this year I would be floored to get him here.

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

First off, I think you are mistaking me for someone else... if you check my history, you will find I have never asked that question before.

Second, you never answered my question. :)

It all depends on whether you consider him to be a franchise altering stud QB who'll carry his team to great heights including a Super Bowl win.   Nick Foles just won a Super Bowl, but IMO he was surrounded by very good talent and supported by a excellent scheme/coaches. Does that mean you give up a huge package to acquire him?  No IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

You take the hit for 1year and build around him. Even if the Bills give up both 1st's and 2nd's this year all is not lost if your QB is established for the next 15 years.

By the nature of the deal ( including high picks next year) you are taking the hit for two years.  Reasonable chance that after that the prize QB is shell-shocked or run out of town because he didn’t single-handedly carry the team.

Now, it *could* work out the way that you’ve described, but young QBs getting crushed is no generally a recipe for success.

8 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

If he goes on to win a super bowl, would you still think it was too pricey?

I'll chime in. Goes on to win a Super Bowl where? In Buffalo as per the hypothetical trade? Then obviously no... NO price would be too great. But if the price the Bills paid to get him or another QB made them unable to build a team around him that's a different story. That's the balancing act for Beane and McD. Get a QB AND give him what he needs. Unless Mayfield or another of these QBs is the next Brady which no one is predicting at this point. 

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It all depends on whether you consider him to be a franchise altering stud QB who'll carry his team to great heights including a Super Bowl win.   Nick Foles just won a Super Bowl, but IMO he was surrounded by very good talent and supported by a excellent scheme/coaches. Does that mean you give up a huge package to acquire him?  No IMO. 

Well, because I think he has the potential for greatness, and I think he is an upgrade over Tyrod I would do it... the way I see it, if we can’t get one of the top 3, I don’t want to waste any of our top 5 picks on a QB.

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I'll chime in. Goes on to win a Super Bowl where? In Buffalo as per the hypothetical trade? Then obviously no... NO price would be too great. But if the price the Bills paid to get him or another QB made them unable to build a team around him that's a different story. That's the balancing act for Beane and McD. Get a QB AND give him what he needs. Unless Mayfield or another of these QBs is the next Brady which no one is predicting at this point. 

You make a good point but consider this...as I stated in another thread, the Bills are nowhere near being title contenders- meaning it’s going to to take a few years to build this thing anyway...why not invest in a top QB now and then by the time the rest of the team is built the young QB will be entering the prime of his career and ready to roll.