Chris Brown: What Can We Expect from the Bills in Free Agency?

friday-story-beane-story.jpg
Though the Bills are busy doing their due diligence on the top college prospects at the NFL combine, GM Brandon Beane is also finalizing a plan for NFL free agency. Read this and more in our 'Road to the Draft' coverage.

Knowing their cap space isn’t ideal does this mean that spending free agent dollars on a quarterback, where the price can be steep, is off the table?

Beane said no.

“We definitely have to consider that market and there are more guys out there than you normally see at the quarterback in free agency for various reasons,” Beane said. “Some due to injury, some due to multiple guys under contract. We will do our due diligence there.

“To make a move like that you have to know that it’s a better player than the two we have on our team, which would be Tyrod (Taylor) and Nathan (Peterman). Both those guys bring a lot of value to our team, so we have to take all those factors into consideration.

“You have to weigh what is the cost? What it does to your cap? What other moves you can do around it.”

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

18 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

There should be a rule against posting the admitted fluff that Chris Brown puts out on the Bills website.  

The words of the GM regarding the approach to free agency represent worthwhile information irrespective of your opinion on Brown's content. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

No Cousins, Keenum, Bradford or Bridgewater. My guess they keep Tyrod, stay at 21 & 22 and draft Jackson, Allen or Rudolph. 

I'm guessing McCarron.

• Like (+1) 2

Give Philly their #2 pick back for Nick foles and draft one of the qb’s that fall in the draft.Use the rest of the draft to bolster the lines.We would then gave 3 qb’s with Peterman being second string or the rookie beats him out for tge #2 spot.That would be pretty stable and solid for the qb position and it lets the Bills draft/free agents to fill out the roster for this up coming season...Could be a solid team on the rise going this route.You get some youth as you take your lumps with the dead part of the cap the Bills have to perservere through..I’d def be ok with Nick Foles as the wb for the next two/thhree sessons as either Peterman or our draftee develop..GO BILLS!!

2 minutes ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

Give Philly their #2 pick back for Nick foles and draft one of the qb’s that fall in the draft.Use the rest of the draft to bolster the lines.We would then gave 3 qb’s with Peterman being second string or the rookie beats him out for tge #2 spot.That would be pretty stable and solid for the qb position and it lets the Bills draft/free agents to fill out the roster for this up coming season...Could be a solid team on the rise going this route.You get some youth as you take your lumps with the dead part of the cap the Bills have to perservere through..I’d def be ok with Nick Foles as the wb for the next two/thhree sessons as either Peterman or our draftee develop..GO BILLS!!

The Bills have the 3rd pick (96th overall) from the Eagles as part of the Darby trade. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I think Tyrod gets traded, Peterman starts the season and the Bills swing for the fences and land a QB in the top 5 (who won't start until 2019)

Not happening. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

7 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Nope no free agent QB's, keeping Tyrod and drafting another QB/ Might not even be in the 1st round.

So you're changing from a guess to a sure thing?

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I think Tyrod gets traded, Peterman starts the season and the Bills swing for the fences and land a QB in the top 5 (who won't start until 2019)

Things will be clearer in a couple weeks, but nothing will surprise me. I could even see bringing in Bradford, releasing TT, and drafting one. I'm looking forward to what Beane and McD will do.

I think right now the cap space is not there to make a FA splash.  Although it is possible that the glut of FA QBs out there makes one somewhat more affordable.  If you consider that they'd likely trade TT for just about anything if they were able to get a FA, it would be doable - even with absorbing the $6M Roster hit - in fact as has been reported, that makes trading TT more attractive for another team since they don't have to pay that.

I would be floored if they ended up with Cousins - but getting someone considered an upgrade who is reasonable is possible - and reduces the need to package up all your picks to move up - thus allowing them to build a better roster.  I think Keenum or McCarron would be reasonable contracts.  Maybe Bridgewater with an incentive deal since he was injured last season.

11 minutes ago, TPS said:

Things will be clearer in a couple weeks, but nothing will surprise me. I could even see bringing in Bradford, releasing TT, and drafting one. I'm looking forward to what Beane and McD will do.

Zimmer characterizes Bradford’s knee as “degenerative”

10 minutes ago, TPS said:

No sure things except death and taxes. Just an educated guess on what they will do, not what I would do.

I thought the Saints were fools to trade their entire draft for Ricky Williams.  I think it would be foolish to overpay.  Let other tulip maniacs trade up for the 5 qbs- that will push down quality players to 21-22.  I heard one anonymous scout say there are a possible 40 first round grades.  The more we could haul from that top 40, the better

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Bills have the 3rd pick (96th overall) from the Eagles as part of the Darby trade. 

Not happening. 

I think that TT getting traded is the only sure thing of this post, The other two are possible,