Jeremiah and Brooks: Best Fits for Top QBs via UFA, Trade, and the Draft

26CornerBlitz

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
MOVE THE STICKS
The 2018 offseason promises to bring seismic shifts for league QBs. Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks take a look at free agency and the draft, pairing top play callers with the teams that make the most sense.

This stuff is so freakin' lazy.  New Orleans is back on the cusp of having a championship competitive team, they're going to resign Brees for $$$$ and you bet he's likely to want more than a year or two, then they're going to trade the farm to move up for Mayfield so he can sit behind Brees for half his rookie contract, because you know, he's short.  Like Brees.

Riiiiiiiight.  Now bring me my pony.

Of course on a personal level I'm salty 'cuz they totes overlooked my Bills

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This stuff is so freakin' lazy.  New Orleans is back on the cusp of having a championship competitive team, they're going to resign Brees for $$$$ and you bet he's likely to want more than a year or two, then they're going to trade the farm to move up for Mayfield so he can sit behind Brees for half his rookie contract, because you know, he's short.  Like Brees.

The way I read this piece, it's just a look at where the QBs are a best fit versus where they will land in reality.  There's no doubt that both DJ and Bucky know Mayfield won't be around for the Saints to even consider. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

The way I read this piece, it's just a look at where the QBs are a best fit versus where they will land in reality.  There's no doubt that both DJ and Bucky know Mayfield won't be around for the Saints to even consider. 

They specify in their piece Sean Peyton "aggressively moving up to get him"

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW, I’m in New Orleans and there is a strong chance that they draft Brees’ eventual replacement this year. 

32 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, I’m in New Orleans and there is a strong chance that they draft Brees’ eventual replacement this year. 

I believe it. 

But I also believe, that it makes little sense for a team which already has an entrenched QB to waste draft capitol "aggressively moving up" to draft that replacement.  They are in a position to draft a QB that falls to them (or through only a slight trade-up in the 2nd or 3rd round), develop him for a couple years, and if they don't like how he's developing throw him back into the pond and pick another.  The only reason it would make sense for the Giants to draft Eli Manning's replacement is that they're already sitting at #2, and even there, it may make sense for them to wait until Round 2 (depending upon what Shurmer really thinks of Manning) or trade up into the end of the 1st.

If Brees wants to play even 2 or 3 more years, let alone "until he's 45", it would be cray-cray to squander draft capitol and move up for a guy who may sit on the bench 2-3 years and force them to make a decision on a 5th year option almost before he's played a season.

Now if Mayfield were to fall to them, I do believe they'd grab him.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe it. 

But I also believe, that it makes little sense for a team which already has an entrenched QB to waste draft capitol "aggressively moving up" to draft that replacement.  They are in a position to draft a QB that falls to them (or through only a slight trade-up in the 2nd or 3rd round), develop him for a couple years, and if they don't like how he's developing throw him back into the pond and pick another.  The only reason it would make sense for the Giants to draft Eli Manning's replacement is that they're already sitting at #2, and even there, it may make sense for them to wait until Round 2 (depending upon what Shurmer really thinks of Manning) or trade up into the end of the 1st.

If Brees wants to play even 2 or 3 more years, let alone "until he's 45", it would be cray-cray to squander draft capitol and move up for a guy who may sit on the bench 2-3 years and force them to make a decision on a 5th year option almost before he's played a season.

Now if Mayfield were to fall to them, I do believe they'd grab him.

There is a lot of talk about them coming up to get a guy. Baker is the guy that I see most often (with a little Josh Allen). New Orleans could go way up to get a QB depending on how they address other needs in free agency. 

On a side note it is very possible that Pittsburgh comes up for Josh Allen too. I don’t think that they would go as high as New Orleans but they are very interested. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There is a lot of talk about them coming up to get a guy. Baker is the guy that I see most often (with a little Josh Allen). New Orleans could go way up to get a QB depending on how they address other needs in free agency. 

On a side note it is very possible that Pittsburgh comes up for Josh Allen too. I don’t think that they would go as high as New Orleans but they are very interested. 

Well, I'm often surprised, but I would be surprised by either of those.  I imagine Allen and Mayfield's respective agents are happy about such talk and more than willing to encourage it though, since it makes their boys seem more valuable.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I'm often surprised, but I would be surprised by either of those.  I imagine Allen and Mayfield's respective agents are happy about such talk and more than willing to encourage it though, since it makes their boys seem more valuable.

One of my good friend’s is Kevin Colbert’s nephew. He was with him at the senior bowl and he was saying that. They are very, very close. The Allen to Pittsburgh possibility is legit. It’s kind of funny to because his Pittsburgh buddies here HATE the idea. 

The New Orleans rumors are more from what I hear, read and see. The people that cover the Saints and the fans think that it is a real possibility. I don’t know that to be true but there is a ton of smoke around it. 

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

One of my good friend’s is Kevin Colbert’s nephew. He was with him at the senior bowl and he was saying that. They are very, very close. The Allen to Pittsburgh possibility is legit. It’s kind of funny to because his Pittsburgh buddies here HATE the idea. 

The New Orleans rumors are more from what I hear, read and see. The people that cover the Saints and the fans think that it is a real possibility. I don’t know that to be true but there is a ton of smoke around it. 

There's "interested" and then there's "top price interested" IYKWIM?

I would absolutely believe that Pittsburgh might draft Allen if he falls to them.  It makes huge sense for them - there's that Big Ben size and cannon arm.  If I were Kevin Colbert watching Allen I would be like "Oh, Yeah, we're interested" and if he's there at #28 you pull the trigger.

But to trade up to the top 5 picks of the draft from #28 if that's what it takes, or even to the top 15?  That's pretty prohibitive when you badly need a top talent LB and you've got a functional QB.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

For me, all of this information - presuming it's accurate - only solidifies my belief that the Bills should simply stand pat and let the Draft come to them because the Saints and Steelers are now in the "QB hunt" if this information is true, meaning you add two more teams to an already depleted supply market. The Bills would need to essentially give up the farm to go up into the top 5 to get their guy, and they don't have that luxury. In that scenario, and only in the scenario where this is reliable information, I would go after Cousins simply due to the demand being too great for the Bills to meet the price. 

If they were to outbid the other teams, it would take both 1sts, a 2nd this year, a 1st and a 2nd next year and probably a player....that is far, far too rich for a team that has so many needs just based on their own players becoming UFAs.