Dolphins place franchise tag on Jarvis Landry; permission to seek trade

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

And strikes fear into the heart of no defense.

?What have you done for me lately??

112 rec. 987 yards

That's not worth $16 million, no matter how you slice it.

Yeah I think if you are going to pay that much for a WR, skip trading any assets and just pony up in FA for Watkins or Robinson who are more complete #1 type guys.

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah I think if you are going to pay that much for a WR, skip trading any assets and just pony up in FA for Watkins or Robinson who are more complete #1 type guys.

I was thinking about it this morning and if you could pay $12M a year (about what I think it ends up) for Watkins, Robinson or Landry how would they rank? 

I’d go: Watkins, Robinson then Landry (Robinson and Landry are close to me but for our needs Robinson). 

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I was thinking about it this morning and if you could pay $12M a year (about what I think it ends up) for Watkins, Robinson or Landry how would they rank? 

I’d go: Watkins, Robinson then Landry (Robinson and Landry are close to me but for our needs Robinson). 

Allen Robinson >>>>>> Sammy Watkins

I would go Watkins, Robinson, Landry as well. Watkins is more explosive overall, higher ceiling. Also AR is coming off ACL tear (but i would still take him!) Landry is a big asset for the offense and is never hurt, but I just don’t think he’s a true #1.

21 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d rather have Watkins. He’s more complete and defenses account for him.

More complete?  Robinson works the entire field, is open when he isn't and has better hands.  No double catches here.

Sammy has more speed.  That's it.

55 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I wouldn't pay $12M/year for any of them.  Robinson had that monster 2015 but has been way under that the 2 other healthy years he's had, and is coming off ACL surgery.  We know about Sammy.  And Landry isn't a #1 WR.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

More complete?  Robinson works the entire field, is open when he isn't and has better hands.  No double catches here.

Sammy has more speed.  That's it.

Watkins hands are fantastic and he too runs the entire route tree. He almost always eats up double coverage too. There is a reason that the Rams are considering franchising him. He opens up the field for everyone else. He has been an elite player when targeted like other elite players.

I like Robinson but would rather Watkins personally.

2 minutes ago, Dalton said:

I recall an article that Cousins would file a grievance if tagged because it was against the rules tag a player with the intention to trade.

Am I remembering this correctly and if so, why is this an option for the dolphins.

It’s not against the rules, it’s just not the original intention of the tag. The tag was instituted to be used as a means to provide more time for a team to sign a player long term, similar to how the Bills used it with Cordy Glenn. If a player has no intention of every signing long term with the team the CBA can raise the issue. It appears that in this case Landry doesn’t care and actually wants to either sign long term with them or get traded to someone who will. 

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Wow. I had not realized the extent to which the Dolphins were over the cap. They are already over by $8M before the draft and free agency opens if Landry does indeed sign the tag.

They are going to need to get rid of some decent players.

The reason is that they weren’t planning on having to pay Cutler $10 mill last year in August ... they were planning to roll that over

37 minutes ago, Dalton said:

I recall an article that Cousins would file a grievance if tagged because it was against the rules tag a player with the intention to trade.

Am I remembering this correctly and if so, why is this an option for the dolphins.

He can sue but it would be a waste of time.  The players agreed to this, and for his trouble, he'd be guaranteed a salary of $33M.

21 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Wow. I had not realized the extent to which the Dolphins were over the cap. They are already over by $8M before the draft and free agency opens if Landry does indeed sign the tag.

They are going to need to get rid of some decent players.

They are actually more like $16- $19M over (depending on if you look at spotrac or overthecap) right now if you include Robert Quinn's cap hit. 

Thats more than double the amount (give or take) that the Eagles are over the cap by (which is the only other team currently over the cap (not counting KC)), and they just came off a Super Bowl win. Miami is coming off a 6 win season...