Tampa Bay Releases RB Doug Martin & DL Chris Baker - Baker signs with CIN

26CornerBlitz

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I mean, they did win a Super Bowl the year after firing Dungy. Perhaps they win it even with him; it's hard to say. But Gruden was able to take that amazing defense Dungy and co. had built and give it a pretty good offense that Dungy was unable to provide. It's been pretty bad for them since that Super Bowl, but I think they're trending in the right direction now. It'll be interesting to see how they do this upcoming year; their GM has done a nice job of adding talent to the team, but he may believe to a fault in the young O-Line they've built. They have a couple really talented blockers, but it's never come together for them, and yet it appears that they're satisfied with what they have.

If they can add a good pass rusher off the edge and get one of the talented RBs in this year's draft, they should be a good team next year.

Maybe he turns it around with his next team, but that dude was beyond terrible last season. Seemed like a classic case of getting paid and no longer caring.

I guess when I see the exchange that happened there it was an ascending team that had made the playoffs two years in a row, followed by a Superbowl win and then a very drastic fall off. Say what you will about Gruden, but it still seems like he mostly rode what Dungy had built. Not to say that they would have gotten there with Dungy, but it certainly seemed like they were going in the right direction. 

As for now, I don't know if I see it that way... I see a team holding onto a coach who seems inept, a QB who was overrated from day one, and a bunch of pieced in place that they can't get to function. I don't expect them to be very good this year, but I could definitely be wrong. 

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

True story. 

At least being a bills fan for the past 20 years there were changes made. Granted, we made poor changes, but nontheless, they were made. How does it feel to be a Bucs fan, or a Bengals fan and see them shovel the same crap every year. At least we have been treated to a diversity of crap. 

The Bucs are very poorly run by the Glazers. I maintain that firing Tony Dungy (right as he had constructed a great team and was about to turn the corner) was a completely imbecilic move. 

What the actual !@#$ are you rambling on about?

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I guess when I see the exchange that happened there it was an ascending team that had made the playoffs two years in a row, followed by a Superbowl win and then a very drastic fall off. Say what you will about Gruden, but it still seems like he mostly rode what Dungy had built. Not to say that they would have gotten there with Dungy, but it certainly seemed like they were going in the right direction. 

As for now, I don't know if I see it that way... I see a team holding onto a coach who seems inept, a QB who was overrated from day one, and a bunch of pieced in place that they can't get to function. I don't expect them to be very good this year, but I could definitely be wrong. 

I guess it depends on your opinion of Jameis. I think he's roughly an average starting QB right now who, when the O-Line protects him, showed he could be a great QB in the NFL. They have one of the best WRs in the NFL along with a very talented rookie WR, DeSean Jackson, Cameron Brate, and OJ Howard. It's not hard to imagine them turning into one of the best offenses in the league very soon. Defensively, they have as good a linebacking corps as there is in the NFL and one of the best DTs in the NFL. They still have a lot of holes to address on that end though. They have what seems to be some decent pieces in the secondary, but it's still pretty early to determine for sure there and their pass rush off the edges was abysmal last season.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

On reread, it's  a BIT clearer.

I'm assuming you're talking about the past, and not this most recent season

If you mean with regards to what I said about the bills, then yes. 

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I guess it depends on your opinion of Jameis. I think he's roughly an average starting QB right now who, when the O-Line protects him, showed he could be a great QB in the NFL. They have one of the best WRs in the NFL along with a very talented rookie WR, DeSean Jackson, Cameron Brate, and OJ Howard. It's not hard to imagine them turning into one of the best offenses in the league very soon. Defensively, they have as good a linebacking corps as there is in the NFL and one of the best DTs in the NFL. They still have a lot of holes to address on that end though. They have what seems to be some decent pieces in the secondary, but it's still pretty early to determine for sure there and their pass rush off the edges was abysmal last season.

I can see what you're saying. To be honest, I did expect them to be competitive this year so the potential could be there, but we'll have to see. I do think that bringing Koetter back was questionable given how much talent he had to work with and how little he managed to do. 

I still say they definitely overpaid for Gruden and could have been better off overall if they had stayed with Dungy. 

30 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If you mean with regards to what I said about the bills, then yes. 

I can see what you're saying. To be honest, I did expect them to be competitive this year so the potential could be there, but we'll have to see. I do think that bringing Koetter back was questionable given how much talent he had to work with and how little he managed to do. 

I still say they definitely overpaid for Gruden and could have been better off overall if they had stayed with Dungy. 

Yeah, Koetter wasn't very impressive in his first season as the head coach. The struggles in the red zone in particular were concerning, but so was the fact that Tampa so rarely used DeSean's speed on short drag/quick slant type routes rather than just using him as a vertical threat. Jameis struggled all year to hit him deep, and the few times they had DeSean run routes underneath, he created a lot of separation, but for some reason, they didn't use that very often. I also think they should have played Chris Godwin more; he was great this season but played a very limited role.

And the Gruden/Dungy debate will rage on. Hard for Bucs fans to complain considering they got their Super Bowl but obviously things didn't end on a high note with Gruden.

Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Yeah, Koetter wasn't very impressive in his first season as the head coach. The struggles in the red zone in particular were concerning, but so was the fact that Tampa so rarely used DeSean's speed on short drag/quick slant type routes rather than just using him as a vertical threat. Jameis struggled all year to hit him deep, and the few times they had DeSean run routes underneath, he created a lot of separation, but for some reason, they didn't use that very often. I also think they should have played Chris Godwin more; he was great this season but played a very limited role.

And the Gruden/Dungy debate will rage on. Hard for Bucs fans to complain considering they got their Super Bowl but obviously things didn't end on a high note with Gruden.

Koetter just wrapped his second season, didnt he? 

Yeah.. I don't know if there is for sure a right or wrong answer. I just know where I come down on it. 

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

True story. 

At least being a bills fan for the past 20 years there were changes made. Granted, we made poor changes, but nontheless, they were made. How does it feel to be a Bucs fan, or a Bengals fan and see them shovel the same crap every year. At least we have been treated to a diversity of crap. 

The Bucs are very poorly run by the Glazers. I maintain that firing Tony Dungy (right as he had constructed a great team and was about to turn the corner) was a completely imbecilic move. 

It's hard to argue with a Lombardi trophy. 

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

It's hard to argue with a Lombardi trophy. 

True enough. But at the end of the day, Gruden and Dungy have the same number of Lombardi trophies. After winning his Gruden didn't do much with a team that had 4 borderline HOFers (Dunn, Brooks, Lynch, Sapp). 

I'm not dying on this hill whatsoever, it just seems to me like it was a mistake to do what they did. 

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Koetter just wrapped his second season, didnt he? 

Yeah.. I don't know if there is for sure a right or wrong answer. I just know where I come down on it. 

That's right, it was his second season. I guess I've lost track of time haha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Tampa Bay Releases RB Doug Martin & DL Chris Baker - Baker signs with CIN