Rumor: Tops Markets to declare bankruptcy

\GoBillsInDallas/

On 2/22/2018 at 9:16 AM, teef said:

i thought i saw that they'll be closing 15 stores in the monroe county, (rochester) area.  i didn't even know there was 15 stores in this area.  that being said, i'm a bit disappointed the one by me is going away. 

I'm surprised by that too. I would have never guessed theirs 15 in Monroe county either. I grew up and still mainly do everything in Webster. That one closed down years ago and I've honestly never missed it. I can see it as convenience thing, but tops has just never been my store. I'll just go to wegmans, people tell me they are more expensive than other stores but I just like how they are ran.

On 2/24/2018 at 5:00 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yep lol, never got the whole dress like a tranny thing. I was into real metal like Metallica so never have to say I liked glam rock.

you are lucky in that regard. my formative years coincided with the height of glam/hair rock. just before i was old enough to know better.

5 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

you are lucky in that regard. my formative years coincided with the height of glam/hair rock. just before i was old enough to know better.

Me too, but still never liked it. The music was so- so to me but the second I heard From Whom The Bell Tolls   I was hooked and the heavier the better.  Still one of the best songs ever.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Me too, but still never liked it. The music was so- so to me but the second I heard From Whom The Bell Tolls   I was hooked and the heavier the better.  Still one of the best songs ever.

for me it was the Master of Puppets album. that was the first exposure i had to Metallica, and the put the nail in the glam coffin for me. from that moment, i looked at music in a completely different way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Me too, but still never liked it. The music was so- so to me but the second I heard From Whom The Bell Tolls   I was hooked and the heavier the better.  Still one of the best songs ever

1 minute ago, swnybillsfan said:

for me it was the Master of Puppets album. that was the first exposure i had to Metallica, and the put the nail in the glam coffin for me. from that moment, i looked at music in a completely different way.

And for me it was a few years later with And Justice For All.  Totally blew open my prepubescent mind

26 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

And for me it was a few years later with And Justice For All.  Totally blew open my prepubescent mind

i remember this album coming out and completely redefining metal music for me. the combination of precision and emotion...intelligence and anger. loved it from the moment i heard it.

2 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

Oh what a great year..1986. Master came out and my beloved Mets won the World Series. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I can think of one, possibly two in my immediate area that they may close. One that I think is definite is located in the same shopping center as a Walmart Super Center, and there's a Wegmans and Aldi's a short drive away. 

On February 18, 2018 at 8:45 PM, /dev/null said:

That would just result in the closing of a bunch of current Tops stores

Much of Tops' market overlaps with Wegmans and the cost of bringing the existing Tops' locations up to Wegmans standard may not be worth it.

There are a fair amount of instances where either Wegman's overlaps or in the case of Monroe County has given up territory to Tops (usually in economically depressed areas).  This bankruptcy has to especially concern the mayors and city councils of Rochester and Syracuse as they coaxed Tops in to replace either a Wegman's or a mom and pop operation in run down areas.  

On February 20, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Jauronimo said:

It's called a private equity firm and I fail to see what a PE firm gains from running an unsuccessful supermarket chain.  In my lifetime Tops went from being on equal ground with Wegmans to a distant second place only to have any perceived discount advantage they had relative to Wegmans cannibalized by Wal Mart and Aldi.  While its trendy to vilify Wall Street and invoke the tired BS of "vulture capitalism" from past campaigns, that would be incorrect.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/17/report-owners-of-tops-markets-preparing-bankruptcy-filing/

Who owns Tops and who loaded them up with insurmountable debt?  Who is taking Tops markets into bankruptcy?

I would agree in that Tops has lost in favor of WalMart so it is an issue of competition.  Very few including myself are old enough to remember when A & P was an overwhelming giant in the industry but the consumer suffered greatly so it really would not be good for WalMart to dominate any market on a local basis.

On 2/18/2018 at 12:32 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

I wish we had a Price Chopper close. I loved ShopRite when we were in metro-NYC (for the sales - they truly had loss leaders!)

I can't stand Wegmans.  If I want a choice of one name-brand + one store-brand product selection, well I'd be all over Wegmans.  Now if I wanted to eat in a grocery store, Wegmans might be third or fourth on my list of chains for that.

From what I read it seems like a debt restructuring bankruptcy if it occurs.  The private equity buy-out seems to have come at a real premium. Today Burt Flickinger III was quoted in a Buffalo News article saying he'd be surprised if it happens immediately - sorta sounded like a never-say-never-but-I-don't-think-so quote. Who knows.

Shop rite is my jam. Especially when meat is on the menu. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/18/2018 at 11:32 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

I wish we had a Price Chopper close. I loved ShopRite when we were in metro-NYC (for the sales - they truly had loss leaders!)

I can't stand Wegmans.  If I want a choice of one name-brand + one store-brand product selection, well I'd be all over Wegmans.  Now if I wanted to eat in a grocery store, Wegmans might be third or fourth on my list of chains for that.

From what I read it seems like a debt restructuring bankruptcy if it occurs.  The private equity buy-out seems to have come at a real premium. Today Burt Flickinger III was quoted in a Buffalo News article saying he'd be surprised if it happens immediately - sorta sounded like a never-say-never-but-I-don't-think-so quote. Who knows.

I must of missed this post.  I totally agree w/your post! I can't stand Wegman's for the same reasons.

Thanx for bump JSP.;)

• Like (+1) 1