(Sessions) Now, why would you do this?

1 minute ago, Cugalabanza said:

“The office of Sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement.”

- Attorney General Jeff Sessions speaking at the National Sheriff's Association winter conference in DC.

I expect some people will want to have some explanation on this.

Well, let's start with the claim, and verify it's veracity:  Is the office of Sheriff a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement?

3 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

“The office of Sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement.”

- Attorney General Jeff Sessions speaking at the National Sheriff's Association winter conference in DC.

Because it is?

2 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Session is not bright.  He doesn't need the heat that he's gonna get over this.  This smells racist to me.  You can argue otherwise and say that his statement is technically accurate, but this is some loaded language.

It wouldn't even be loaded language if Robert Byrd had said it. It is manufactured "news".

34 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

People who are either uneducated or ignorant of etymology might presume that to be racist, but "anglo" doesn't properly define a race. It defines an ethnic heritage. The word "sheriff" derives from the old English "shire" "reeve", which was the local law authority under the crown.

That's most likely what Sessions was referring to when he said that.

35 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Session is not bright.  He doesn't need the heat that he's gonna get over this.  This smells racist to me.  You can argue otherwise and say that his statement is technically accurate, but this is some loaded language.

It's only racist to one who is a moron who has no understanding of the history of where the word 'Sheriff' came from.

10 minutes ago, Azalin said:

People who are either uneducated or ignorant of etymology might presume that to be racist, but "anglo" doesn't properly define a race. It defines an ethnic heritage. The word "sheriff" derives from the old English "shire" "reeve", which was the local law authority under the crown.

That's most likely what Sessions was referring to when he said that.

Now, now. Sessions is a Republican who used the term 'anglo' during black history month. I agree with LA, this is the most racist thing to happen since the coin flip.

Edited by Koko78

51 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

I hope he's niggardly with his explanations.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

It's only racist if one is a moron who has no understanding of the history of where the word 'Sheriff' came from.

I understand the history and the etymology.  I still think it's coded.  You're speaking to a bunch of sheriffs.  Why all of a sudden bring up "Anglo-American heritage?"  If you want to point out the origin of the notion of sheriff in England, you can talk about that, but the way he brought it up, that's skeevy.

If you are a black sheriff listening to that speech, would you not find that offensive at all?

4 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

I understand the history and the etymology.  I still think it's coded.  You're speaking to a bunch of sheriffs.  Why all of a sudden bring up "Anglo-American heritage?"  If you want to point out the origin of the notion of sheriff in England, you can talk about that, but the way he brought it up, that's skeevy.

If you are a black sheriff listening to that speech, would you not find that offensive at all?

Pray tell, where did the word come from? (Here's a hint, the place it came from is actually named for the Germanic tribe known as the Angles.)

If a black Sheriff is offended by being reminded that the origin of his title came from England, he should be ashamed of himself.

5 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

I can certainly see how his comments can be seen as racist if that's what you're looking for.  But he's also historically correct, and very likely went off script because he also wants to take a stand at the historic erosion and ongoing rewriting of American history.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Ignorant people who get offended at things they have no business getting offended over, and then heap charges of racism, and demand modification of the world to meet their absurd and evolving standard are the problem here.

It's OK to acknowledge history.  Even a net positive.  Even if the history is related to people or traditions with European ancestry.

The fact that there's a segment of the population that finds this problematic is awful.  The fact that people indulge them is worse.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Cugalabanza said:

God damn, son. How do you leave the house without getting your diaper wet?

1 hour ago, Cugalabanza said:

It's been clear since day one Sessions was an easy target for Democrats to point to and cry racism for the whole Trump administration.  His Southern slang and being denied a federal judgeship under Reagan because of some perceived racist statements he may have made in the past makes some people look for racism in anything he says.  There's nothing wrong or racist about that statement.