2017 NFL Awards

Brady was pretty obvious even if Gurley deserved it more. No way that wasn't going to be a QB. If JJ Watt doesn't win it in 2015(?) with the greatest season a defensive player has ever recorded, no way a RB gets it. 

JJ for man of year! 

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

I'm not saying McVay may not have deserved to win...but the fact McDermott got no votes was a little ridiculous.

Inheriting a loaded team and simply getting them to play like they should have the past 4 years shouldnt automatically give you the coach of the year award.

But if McVay deserved to win it then why did McD deserve a vote? Don't get me wrong, McD was great... But if you admit that McV was better, whose to say someone should have voted a different way? 

48 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Very deserving, although CBPOY has no rules on what constitutes a comeback.

40 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It’s bull **** that the DROY wasn’t closer than that 

Nah man.  Tre was awesome and great value but Lattimore singlehandedly changed the Saints.

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Brady was pretty obvious even if Gurley deserved it more. No way that wasn't going to be a QB. If JJ Watt doesn't win it in 2015(?) with the greatest season a defensive player has ever recorded, no way a RB gets it. 

JJ for man of year! 

But if McVay deserved to win it then why did McD deserve a vote? Don't get me wrong, McD was great... But if you admit that McV was better, whose to say someone should have voted a different way? 

Yup- and the second place vote getter lost his starting rb and qb and still got the NFCCG.

mcVay was the big culture change vote and Zim was the overachiever... I can’t fault that consensus 

15 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

JJ for man of year! 

I'm not sure I am admitting he was better. McDermott did more with less. There is no way from a talent standpoint the Rams were only 2 wins better than the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'm not sure I am admitting he was better. McDermott did more with less. There is no way from a talent standpoint the Rams were only 2 wins better than the Bills.

Except that as soon as August rolls around (as in, after the draft and all the "what if's") talent is determined by production. To say that Jared Goff is a great NFL talent can only be authenticated by looking at how Jared Goff has played in the NFL. Same with Robert Woods and Todd Gurley. Now, while I am the first to say that Jeff Fischer's incompetency is off the charts and he held that team back, you cannot deny what McV did in one season to turn that team around. McV got production from players who did not have a track record of production and from players who had not played well recently. From 4-12 to 11-5? That's impressive. 

I think if the Bills don't get helped into the playoffs the conversation isn't even being had as to if McD is in that realm. 

It's also important to remember that McV did it in a significantly harder conference. 

Edited by whatdrought

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Except that as soon as August rolls around (as in, after the draft and all the "what if's") talent is determined by production. To say that Jared Goff is a great NFL talent can only be authenticated by looking at how Jared Goff has played in the NFL. Same with Robert Woods and Todd Gurley. Now, while I am the first to say that Jeff Fischer's incompetency is off the charts and he held that team back, you cannot deny what McV did in one season to turn that team around. McV got production from players who did not have a track record of production and from players who had not played well recently. From 4-12 to 11-5? That's impressive. 

I think if the Bills don't get helped into the playoffs the conversation isn't even being had as to if McD is in that realm. 

It's also important to remember that McV did it in a significantly harder conference. 

Good post!!

McVay confirmed what the majority of NFL fans knew, Jeff Fisher was AWFUL. The Rams traded their 1971 Ford Pinto for a Lamborghini.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Well if you are going to do that then you'll also have to admit they have probably the best defensive line in the NFL as well...and have been up there since the Bills were fielding the Mario-Dareus-Williams-Hughes line.  

And Todd Gurley was off the chains as a rookie then had a down year last year(still had almost 900 yards rushing tho), so it's not like he sucked.

Gurley had 2,000 yards rushing and 16 TD's his first 2 seasons...what are you taking about? 

Arguably Woods was more productive with the Bills in 2014 when he had 699 yards receiving(and 9 more receptions) and the same number of TDs on a team that ran the ball more than anyone in the NFL. Again...what are you talking about?  

McVay got great production from Goff...that was not expected based on how he played last year, but look at the huge strides Wentz took from year one to year two as well...Wentz was pretty bad for the last 10 games or so his rookie year...he played well for the frist four game and then DC's caught up to him and he was mostly dreadful after that.

You seem to not know what you are talking about with players.  Maybe you should go review befroe you post.

McDermott did what he did with a team expectred by many to win 4 games and with a lot of people claiming they were tanking.

And we had two games against the Patriots....I'd trade those for any two games the Rams had.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Well if you are going to do that then you'll also have to admit they have probably the best defensive line in the NFL as well...and have been up there since the Bills were fielding the Mario-Dareus-Williams-Hughes line.  

And Todd Gurley was off the chains as a rookie then had a down year last year(still had almost 900 yards rushing tho), so it's not like he sucked.

Gurley had 2,000 yards rushing and 16 TD's his first 2 seasons...what are you taking about? 

I mean, if you want to go blow by blow we can look at the fact that McD has a great running back, a QB with better statistical performances in previous years (over Goff), a better offensive line going into the season, and several pieces on the D-line that had been great at one time (Dareus and Hughes). 

I'm not saying that the Rams don't have a lot of talent, but as McV (and Fischer) proved, talent isn't worth anything without proper coaching. Your assertion that McD did more with less just doesn't seem to stack up to me. He coached a great year and had a team that played pretty well for the majority of the year. But at the end of the day, the Bills did not have an offense and had at best an inconsistent defense. McV took what he had and worked them into a great all around team. He took a 1st overall pick dangerously close to being a bust and made him an all-star. 

McD is a great coach and the bills had a great year. McV was better. 

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Arguably Woods was more productive with the Bills in 2014 when he had 699 yards receiving(and 9 more receptions) and the same number of TDs on a team that ran the ball more than anyone in the NFL. Again...what are you talking about?  

McVay got great production from Goff...that was not expected based on how he played last year, but look at the huge strides Wentz took from year one to year two as well...Wentz was pretty bad for the last 10 games or so his rookie year...he played well for the frist four game and then DC's caught up to him and he was mostly dreadful after that.

You seem to not know what you are talking about with players.  Maybe you should go review befroe you post.

McDermott did what he did with a team expectred by many to win 4 games and with a lot of people claiming they were tanking.

And we had two games against the Patriots....I'd trade those for any two games the Rams had.

Well, you might be right that I don't know what I am talking about... That very well may be the case. The people who gate paid to answer the very question we're discussing agree with me though. (or rather, I agree with them.) 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Process said:

He didn't deserve one

Anyone that thinks otherwise is being a massive homer

Stop

I would disagree with this - he did not deserve to be COY, but he deserved consideration.  I personally think top 5 coach of year candidate for McDermott.  

I think they got got it right with McVay.  I also think Minnesota, Jacksonville, Philadelphia- all should have gotten looks just like McD.

Suggestioning he should get a vote or two is not being a homer - trying to argue he should have won may be.

I thought the NFL got all of the picks right - no real surprises - wish Wentz had stayed healthy because I think he could of been MVP, but he didn’t.

48 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I would disagree with this - he did not deserve to be COY, but he deserved consideration.  I personally think top 5 coach of year candidate for McDermott.  

I think they got got it right with McVay.  I also think Minnesota, Jacksonville, Philadelphia- all should have gotten looks just like McD.

Suggestioning he should get a vote or two is not being a homer - trying to argue he should have won may be.

I thought the NFL got all of the picks right - no real surprises - wish Wentz had stayed healthy because I think he could of been MVP, but he didn’t.

Correct.. he should have received consideration.... And after considering it the result should have been voting for someone else.... Which it was...

Getting votes and getting consideration are two different things...

Edited by Process

20 minutes ago, Process said:

Correct.. he should have received consideration.... And after considering it the result should have been voting for someone else.... Which it was...

Getting votes and getting consideration are two different things...

Yes but saying he did not deserve any votes and if you think he deserved a vote you are a massive homer is wrong.  It is not being a homer to think that he should have gotten a vote or two as part of the consideration - he did a heck of a job.

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yes but saying he did not deserve any votes and if you think he deserved a vote you are a massive homer is wrong.  It is not being a homer to think that he should have gotten a vote or two as part of the consideration - he did a heck of a job.

It's likely that voters considered and acknowledged how good of a job McDermott did last season, but that doesn't translate into him getting any votes.

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

Bills coach Sean McDermott, who led the Bills to a 9-7 record and their first playoff appearance since 1999, did not receive any of 50 possible votes for the Associated Press' coach of the year award. Sean McVay won with 35 votes. Mike Zimmer received 11, Doug Marrone two and both Doug Pederson and Bill Belichick received one vote each.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz