In-Depth Breakdown of Josh Rosen by Eliot Crist, Matt Waldman, Greg Cosell, and Others

There have been a number of rich kid quarterbacks over the years. Not every football player comes from poverty. However, Rosen chooses to use his status and platform to stand up for those less fortunate than him. This might lead to him saying some controversial things, but I don't understand how that makes him a self-centered, arrogant, silver spoon jerk. I see him as much closer to Robin Hood. The things he is saying are of no benefit to him personally. He is putting himself out there to help others and say some of the things they cannot say. 

He's the kind of guy who might clash with coaches if he disagrees with them, but he will be loved by teammates and will likely take the blame and fall for them. The team who drafts him better have an OC who is smarter than him, otherwise you are asking for trouble. A lot of great quarterbacks clashed with coaches over the years...Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Dan Marino etc etc etc. It's the competitor in them. This is not a bad thing. This is the kind of thing people praise Baker Mayfield for. Why? Because he is a short, a walk on, who looks more like an every man and whose family had financial troubles? 

Honestly, if people take the time to read, and have some semblance of reading comprehension skills, they will see that this guy is really intelligent and the things that he is saying make a ton of sense. Is he going to stick up for the little man? Yes. Is he going to kneel for the anthem? No. Having a hot tub in the dorm? Genius...I wish I found a way to make that happen. 

I just can't understand the hate for Rosen. It seems like it is based on perception and not reality with a little bit of jealousy mixed in. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I hope we draft him just to watch boyst's head explode when Josh gets all political on us :)

I don't even know his political views but I saw him quoted in an article that he wants to use his career to jumpstart a campaign to helping people.

Nothing wrong with that if you are a manager at a McDonald's, a banking exec at Wells Fargo or a player for the Chiefs.  But when youre on the Bills, eat, sleep, breathe football. 

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

There have been a number of rich kid quarterbacks over the years. Not every football player comes from poverty. However, Rosen chooses to use his status and platform to stand up for those less fortunate than him. This might lead to him saying some controversial things, but I don't understand how that makes him a self-centered, arrogant, silver spoon jerk. I see him as much closer to Robin Hood. The things he is saying are of no benefit to him personally. He is putting himself out there to help others and say some of the things they cannot say. 

He's the kind of guy who might clash with coaches if he disagrees with them, but he will be loved by teammates and will likely take the blame and fall for them. The team who drafts him better have an OC who is smarter than him, otherwise you are asking for trouble. A lot of great quarterbacks clashed with coaches over the years...Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Dan Marino etc etc etc. It's the competitor in them. This is not a bad thing. This is the kind of thing people praise Baker Mayfield for. Why? Because he is a short, a walk on, who looks more like an every man and whose family had financial troubles? 

Honestly, if people take the time to read, and have some semblance of reading comprehension skills, you will see that this guy is really intelligent and the things that he is saying make a ton of sense. Is he going to stick up for the little man? Yes. Is he going to kneel for the anthem? No. Having a hot tub in the dorm? Genius...I wish I found a way to make that happen. 

I just can't understand the hate for Rosen. It seems like it is based on perception and not reality with a little bit of jealousy mixed in. 

I admire his character to want to help others disirregardless of what he believes in but I don't want him on the football team when he is going to talk about his beliefs in a turd sandwich or giant douche.

Tell me your opinion on a 34 outside blitz or how a zone scheme cover 1 high safety impacts your play.

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

I don't even know his political views but I saw him quoted in an article that he wants to use his career to jumpstart a campaign to helping people.

Nothing wrong with that if you are a manager at a McDonald's, a banking exec at Wells Fargo or a player for the Chiefs.  But when youre on the Bills, eat, sleep, breathe football. 

Nothing wrong with that whoever you are.  We should all seek to use what we have to help others. That is why football players do so much charity work already.  None of them just "eat, sleep and breathe" football.  

7 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I admire his character to want to help others disirregardless of what he believes in but I don't want him on the football team when he is going to talk about his beliefs in a turd sandwich or giant douche.

Tell me your opinion on a 34 outside blitz or how a zone scheme cover 1 high safety impacts your play.

Pretty much 90% of the NFL have some sort of foundation that takes up a lot of their time. Ever hear of the "Walter Payton Man of the Year?" 

Also, if the media asked him the question you are asking here, then I am sure he would answer it. He's a twenty year old kid simply answering the questions reporters are asking him. He will be answering all of these types of questions in the interview rooms this week. The teams who focus on his character in those meetings are idiots. 

My point is he isn't bringing these things up...the media are asking him about them. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Pretty much 90% of the NFL have some sort of foundation that takes up a lot of their time. Ever hear of the "Walter Payton Man of the Year?" 

Also, if the media asked him the question you are asking here, then I am sure he would answer it. He's a twenty year old kid simply answering the questions reporters are asking him. He will be answering all of these types of questions in the interview rooms this week. The teams who focus on his character in those meetings are idiots. 

My point is he isn't bringing these things up...the media are asking him about them. 

Most of those foundations are methods to avoid taxation and other work arounds. 

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

except those guys do go out in the community and help kids and others. michael bennett was building houses in haiti in the off season. they are all football during the season but it's a long off season and getting in the community is a great thing. it's such a bs claim to just say...they do it for the write off. you cannot say that for every athlete that does charity work. 

7 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Are you honestly arguing that this rich athlete should NOT give his time to charities and helped those less fortunate? This is really your position? I find that hard to believe. 

That would make him the selfish, rich jerk that everyone is making him out to be. 

53 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Honestly, if people take the time to read, and have some semblance of reading comprehension skills, they will see that this guy is really intelligent and the things that he is saying make a ton of sense. Is he going to stick up for the little man? Yes. Is he going to kneel for the anthem? No. Having a hot tub in the dorm? Genius...I wish I found a way to make that happen. 

Great, well thought out post! You are a good addition to this board.

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

except those guys do go out in the community and help kids and others. michael bennett was building houses in haiti in the off season. they are all football during the season but it's a long off season and getting in the community is a great thing. it's such a bs claim to just say...they do it for the write off. you cannot say that for every athlete that does charity work. 

The benefits of a 503c are worth a little sweat and elbow grease.

35 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Are you honestly arguing that this rich athlete should NOT give his time to charities and helped those less fortunate? This is really your position? I find that hard to believe. 

That would make him the selfish, rich jerk that everyone is making him out to be. 

No, I'm not saying they shouldn't but there is a large portion of those that do so for selfish reasons. 

You set yourself up as a non profit. You set yourself and family up in positions in it. Tax breaks, etc and they can pinch local businesses to lick them money, too.  Look at Brady's charity and businesses. That's how ya do it.  Gronk, Dalton, etc

Ever wonder why these halfwit barely literate ball players set up a charity as soon as they can?  It's a tax evasion plan.

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

No, I'm not saying they shouldn't but there is a large portion of those that do so for selfish reasons. 

You set yourself up as a non profit. You set yourself and family up in positions in it. Tax breaks, etc and they can pinch local businesses to lick them money, too.  Look at Brady's charity and businesses. That's how ya do it.  Gronk, Dalton, etc

Ever wonder why these halfwit barely literate ball players set up a charity as soon as they can?  It's a tax evasion plan.

I'd like to know how you know "a larger portion" of them do this for selfish reasons?  That is simply untrue. You also can't prove it.  You would come out and say they were punks if they didn't do any charity work.  I'd say most of these guys were helped along the way with similar programs.  

31 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Ok I gotcha. i just don't think Rosen is that kind of guy. he seems to genuinely want to help people because he is in a position to do so. 

35 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Great, well thought out post! You are a good addition to this board.

Thanks! I appreciate it. This board is really awesome!

Edited by MrEpsYtown

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ok I gotcha. i just don't think Rosen is that kind of guy. he seems to genuinely want to help people because he is in a position to do so. 

Thanks! I appreciate it. This board is really awesome!

Yep, that's a great thing but I want a guy hungry to play football. Not a dingbat like Johnny manziel to want to fuel his partying and celebrity. (gronk too)

Don't want someone like Sammy Watkins who only cares about the money and the image of being something he isn't

And I don't want a philanthropic qb like rosen

10 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Yep, that's a great thing but I want a guy hungry to play football. Not a dingbat like Johnny manziel to want to fuel his partying and celebrity. (gronk too)

Don't want someone like Sammy Watkins who only cares about the money and the image of being something he isn't

And I don't want a philanthropic qb like rosen

well he's probably not falling to us anyways. But I'd want the guy who wants to make the most money possible. Success at his position will equal money. Money is influence and he can help all the people he wants with it. 

6 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

All these big athletes, they write off everything. Reminds me of a Seinfeld:

Kramer: "It's a write-off for them."

Jerry: "How is it a write-off?"

Kramer: "They just write it off."

Jerry: "Write it off what?"

Kramer: "Jerry, all these big companies, they write off everything."

Jerry: "You don't even know what a write-off is." "Do you?"

Kramer: "No, I don't." "But they do. And they're the ones writing it off."

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2018 at 11:11 AM, Wagon Circler said:

I do not like Josh Rosen. Rich family who grew up as a west coast "golden boy". He will not have enough discipline or work hard enough to become a star.

IMHO. I would actually prefer one of the 'second tier' quarterbacks: Mike White, Lauletta, Riley Ferguson.

Thank goodness you're not running the draft, then.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to In-Depth Breakdown of Josh Rosen by Eliot Crist, Matt Waldman, and Others