[Please Change Title]Cordy Glenn

Pete

Is there any chance Cordy Glenn stays?  Is he healthy?  What trade value does he have?  Quality LT are in high demand, and many teams are lacking.  What compensation would we receive?  Draft pick?

Is Lorenzo gone?  It seems that way.  Why?

If he's healthy, I don't see why you wouldn't keep him.  Glenn and Dawkins would give you two above average tackles.  If he can pass a physical and we don't think he can stay healthy, I can see using him as leverage to move up and get a franchise qb, though I don't know how much trade value he would have if teams are not convinced he can avoid nagging injury.

Maybe I'm out of the loop on Zo.  I haven't heard anything about him being likely gone, but the unexpected cap hit from Wood being forced to retire may require cutting a few folks loose that otherwise might have stayed.

Glenn is gone, they will take whatever they can get at this point just to unload the contract.  I would guess a 4th based on his foot situation.  Dawkins is the LT.  People have said how about Glenn at RT and no way they pay that much for a RT.

Lorenzo is too slow to play OLB in this defense.  He mentioned that he will be moving to DE probably as a situational pass rusher.  He's being paid a lot of money to be a backup/situational player though.  He does add value on special teams and with his leadership but they will have to determine if he is worth that contract.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If he's healthy, I don't see why you wouldn't keep him.  Glenn and Dawkins would give you two above average tackles.  If he can pass a physical and we don't think he can stay healthy, I can see using him as leverage to move up and get a franchise qb, though I don't know how much trade value he would have if teams are not convinced he can avoid nagging injury.

Maybe I'm out of the loop on Zo.  I haven't heard anything about him being likely gone, but the unexpected cap hit from Wood being forced to retire may require cutting a few folks loose that otherwise might have stayed.

What are the ramifications to the Bills cap because of this?  

Just now, BfloBillsFan said:

8 mil dead cap.  I think that limits them on what they can do this year.  Probably Groy starts and they need to get another vet backup C at league min

1 minute ago, BfloBillsFan said:

I'm not an expert on that sort of thing.  What I've read is if they wait for a June 1st designation, it's around 8.25 million for next year and around 2.5 million the year after.  They could choose to take the full hit this year which would be around eleven million.

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Glenn is gone, they will take whatever they can get at this point just to unload the contract.  I would guess a 4th based on his foot situation.  Dawkins is the LT.  People have said how about Glenn at RT and no way they pay that much for a RT.

Lorenzo is too slow to play OLB in this defense.  He mentioned that he will be moving to DE probably as a situational pass rusher.  He's being paid a lot of money to be a backup/situational player though.  He does add value on special teams and with his leadership but they will have to determine if he is worth that contract.

I think you're overlooking something in the impact of the Wood situation.

With Wood being forced to retire from a football-related condition, injury guarantees will almost certainly apply and the Bills are gonna take a $10M cap hit.

If they trade or cut Glenn this year, the Bills save less than $4M while taking almost another $10M cap hit.   Frankly, they can't afford that while Dareus is still on the books.

Glenn stays.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you're overlooking something in the impact of the Wood situation.

With Wood being forced to retire from a football-related condition, injury guarantees will almost certainly apply and the Bills are gonna take a $10M cap hit.

If they trade or cut Glenn this year, the Bills save less than $4M while taking almost another $10M cap hit.   Frankly, they can't afford that while Dareus is still on the books.

Glenn stays.

I really don't understand how the cap works.  Though I realize we still have a cap hit for Dareus, by my naive way of looking at things if you trade a player, the other team should have to assume his contract/cap hit.  Not sure why that isn't so, though I know there are trades where a team retains some of the salary just to get rid of a fella.

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

8 mil dead cap.  I think that limits them on what they can do this year.  Probably Groy starts and they need to get another vet backup C at league min

I think it's higher.  Per OTC, the contract he signed was $14.2M guaranteed.  It is possible that his $3.9M 2019 salary is not fully guaranteed for injury, but his minimum cap hit is going to be 2 years amortized bonus and 2018 salary, or $10.4M.

Bottom line - if he is healthy, he stays....the Bills are FAR from a SB team - they have many holes and many needs.  They need to work the draft, sign some cap friendly FA's and ride the system......basically the system got them into the playoffs this year.

my $0.02

Just now, Dr. Who said:

...certainly agree.......and maybe you move him to the right side for less wear and tear versus the blind side regardless of salary......

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FearLess Price said:

Glenn gets traded in a package that sees us moving pick #21,  a 2nd round pick, a 3rd round pick and our 2nd 5th round pick to the giants or colts for the Bills to move up and draft Mayfield or Darnold.

This would be really cool like the number of posts you have cool.

2 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

This would be really cool like the number of posts you have cool.

...LOL....STRICTLY opinion, but there's no way in hell this gang gives up THAT type of draft capital for ONE player.........pretty sure there are a few (COUGH) more holes to fill............

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I really don't understand how the cap works.  Though I realize we still have a cap hit for Dareus, by my naive way of looking at things if you trade a player, the other team should have to assume his contract/cap hit.  Not sure why that isn't so, though I know there are trades where a team retains some of the salary just to get rid of a fella.

Sites like Overthecap and Spotrac are good for this.

The basic principle is that teams often give players a big up-front payout - a signing bonus - and then divide up (amortize) the bonus over the length of the contract.

This makes the player happy - they get a big wad o'cash up-front

It makes the GM happy as long as the player stays on the team and contributes  - he can manage his cap by lowering the player's annual salary and dividing up a lump sum payment in Year One into smaller bits for less yearly cap impact.

But if the player is traded, cut, or injured, all the amortized (divided up pieces of) bonus come due at once, giving the team a huge hit.  The new team assumes his salary and annual roster and workout bonuses, but the signing bonus was actually already paid, sometimes years ago, by the old team - so the new team isn't part of that math.

In the case of a player-driven retirement like Jake Locker or 49ers linebacker Chris Borland or Patrick Willis, they are required to re-pay part of the signing bonus so it doesn't count against the cap.

In the case of injury, most veterans have language in their contract that guarantees part or all of their salary for injury - usually at least one year, sometimes more.

Not saying it's fair, just trying to explain it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LOL....STRICTLY opinion, but there's no way in hell this gang gives up THAT type of draft capital for ONE player.........pretty sure there are a few (COUGH) more holes to fill............

Wishful thinking* on my part

Lets be real old man, 5 starters or a bonafide franchise QB.

Who you gonna take?

How many picks would you have given up for Brady in his prime? (Disgusting example i know)

Edit: this regime seems stingy on picks now but everything from here to the draft is a smoke screen for trade posturing. Also seemed like his comments were fishing for trade partners in the presser. Note he repeated something like "you have to have a willing trade partner" a few times in the same response, so we are def thinking about it.

Edited by FearLess Price

19 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm not an expert on that sort of thing.  What I've read is if they wait for a June 1st designation, it's around 8.25 million for next year and around 2.5 million the year after.  They could choose to take the full hit this year which would be around eleven million.

They can designate 2 players as post June 1 cuts and defer some of the cap hit to the following year. 

The catch is, if you designate a player post-June 1, you don't free up the cap until June 1 so it doesn't help with FA signings, signing the draft class, etc.

It allows you to trade or sign a player over the summer, though, but that limits your options.

1 minute ago, FearLess Price said:

Wishful thinking* on my part

Lets be real old man, 5 starters or a bonafide franchise QB.

Who you gonna take?

How many picks would you have given up for Brady in his prime? (Disgusting example i know)

....I'm taking the five starters unless you give me a MONEY (PICKS) BACK GUARANTEE/PICKS REFUND if your selection is NOT a "bonafide franchise QB".......care to review the list of "bonafide franchise QB's" selected in the 1st round over the last decade+?......HINT: the SUCCESSES will fit on ONE hand; the FAILURES may fit on both hands, both feet and your slide rule.....old?....yup....seasoned after 55 years following Bflo/NFL?....yup again........

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They can designate 2 players as post June 1 cuts and defer some of the cap hit to the following year. 

The catch is, if you designate a player post-June 1, you don't free up the cap until June 1 so it doesn't help with FA signings, signing the draft class, etc.

It allows you to trade or sign a player over the summer, though, but that limits your options.

....understood, but the cap is going up again by about $14mil.......so is the delay that critical?....signing the draft class pre June 1 should be a non-issue.....could affect FA signings but brab your priorities first with monies available and then see what values may still be left.....just a random thought...........