QB Film Room: Mason Rudolph

Buffalo716

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s not the lack of pro style offenses these college QBs run so much as it’s the lack of variety in the defenses they see on a week to week basis that makes them utterly incapable of readily being able to recognize and beat the array of pro defenses they see in the NFL. When a spread QB sees little more than quarters coverage every week, he’s just not gonna hit the ground running in the pro. 

And that’s before taking into considersation the sheer superiority of the athletes on the defenses they face in the NFL.

Yea agree with that. 

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From what I've seen, I concur.  Prescott seems to need a great run game to build off of.

So if it's not imposing by needing too much answer, what would you look for as a scout as clues that an "air raid" offense QB might transition readily to the pros as Goff (or Prescott) seem to have done?

I would look for poise in the pocket...

ball placement 

ability to make throws while being hit

ability to break down defensive coverages

smart decision maker...

and it's still a gamble if they pick up the NFL game

Edited by Buffalo716

3 hours ago, racketmaster said:

If I have a concern about Rudolph it is his arm strength. Would have liked to see him compete at Senior Bowl to see how the arm measures up.

Hopefully he will be able to participate at the combine and pro day. I think he will be there when the Bill's pick.

Drafttek has him rated the #2 QB though

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-QBs.asp

Edited by ALF
link

5 hours ago, racketmaster said:

If I have a concern about Rudolph it is his arm strength. Would have liked to see him compete at Senior Bowl to see how the arm measures up.

There usually aren't many 6'4 230 lb QBs that have weak arms but he definitely doesn't have a howitzer 

I think it's good enough and it can get stronger 

The college QB who comes from a pro type offense where the QB is expected to run through a series of checkdowns if receivers aren't open is an exception these days.  Teams have to make some educated guesses in many cases about whether or not a particular QB can transition to the NFL.  Sometimes they hit it, sometimes not.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There usually aren't many 6'4 230 lb QBs that have weak arms but he definitely doesn't have a howitzer 

I think it's good enough and it can get stronger 

Watch his first throw in the Texas game this year. It is an out route to Washington on the  wide side of the field. There is a lot of air under the ball and it ends up barely reaching his wr. There is a lot to like about Rudolph but throws like this make me question what his upside is in the NFL. The combine and pro day will tell us more. 

2 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Watch his first throw in the Texas game this year. It is an out route to Washington on the  wide side of the field. There is a lot of air under the ball and it ends up barely reaching his wr. There is a lot to like about Rudolph but throws like this make me question what his upside is in the NFL. The combine and pro day will tell us more. 

I've seen that game and he has lofted some deep outs in his career

He definitely can work on his arm strength 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ive never really met many QB Gurus who didn't believe in weight / strength training 

Yeah pretty much, I always get a kick out of guys (on this Board) who claim that lifting is bad for QBs.

I always thought the tricep pullover would be a good exercise for QBs as this mimics the throwing motion.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yeah pretty much, I always get a kick out of guys (on this Board) who claim that lifting is bad for QBs.

I always thought the tricep pullover would be a good exercise for QBs as this mimics the throwing motion.

Brady clearly was a workout warrior his whole career because he went from a 190lb skinny rookie...

to a full grown 230lb man you know today

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2018 at 1:30 AM, Buffalo716 said:

Ive never really met many QB Gurus who didn't believe in weight / strength training 

If you look at photos of some top QBs it's hard to believe they and the weight room aren't fairly well acquainted

On 1/31/2018 at 8:38 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

One of these days I plan on it.

Only if the library has it, I hope

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:38 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

One of these days I plan on it.

Can't imagine wanting to read it.  If he was just trying to make money off book sales by writing an excellent book describing his philosophy and routines, I would read it.  As much as I despise the guy, what he's doing IS pretty incredible.

But the whole book is about selling his products.  Everything in it is going to have that slant and it would be impossible to separate reality from sales strategy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.