QB Film Room: Mason Rudolph

Buffalo716

This ones for you oldtimeAFLguy.

Mason Rudolph was Mel Kipers #1 ranked SR QB heading into the season. The 6'5 230 pound passer has done nothing nothing but produce since taking over the job as a Sophomore 

OVERVIEW

Mason Rudolph has been extremely productive over his career at Oklahoma State. He is a big, strong QB who has displayed some very good football over his 3 years

Rudolph has pretty good arm strength although I wouldn't classify it as elite and it does lack a bit for a big guy.  He throws well to the intermediate areas , down the seam with zip and throws a very good deep ball

Almost instantly on tape Rudolphs deep ball jumps out to you. It is a staple of his game and a big reason why he is a threat. Whether it's down the sideline or seam he has displayed good arm strength and touch on deep throws

He works the middle of the field well and can fire it down the seams 

A lot of throws are purely 1 read rythem throws. The ball is out before his feet are even planted.  Quick outs and bubble screens... this hindered his progressions a good amount... but the rythem quick out has became an NFL must throw... he does that well

not great lower body mechanics. As stated, the Ball is out regularly before his feet are set... this is a product of his offense as well... If he can learn to set his feet and keep them under him this will increase his accuracy as well 

Due to his spotty mechanics he also tends to have hit or miss accuracy on some shorter throws... it's not uncommon to see him miss a guy high or wide.

Rudolph is a good athlete who was once a prep school TE before transitioning to QB... He moves pretty well for a QB his size and throws decently on the run

He has shown a willingness to step up in the pocket and deliver the throw while taking a hit

STRENGTHS

- Productive 3 year starter

- Good NFL size

- Good NFL caliber deep ball

- throws to the intermediate areas with zip and touch on situations 

-Throws the deep ball with good touch

-Works the seams

-throws good out route 

-Good enough athlete to move around the pocket 

-Throws on run well

-Gets rid of the ball on time 

NEGATIVES

-Spotty lower body mechanics 

-Can sail passes 

-ball placement isn't always great

-played in highly productive spread offense

-Needs work from under center 

-can work on progressions

-Lacks some touch on shorter throws

BOTTOM LINE

Mason Rudolph is a prototypical Pocket Passer who played in a Gimmicky spread Offense. He is a Big, strong QB who likes to throw it deep. He does a lot of things well and is elite at nothing. He has good value as a second round pick but it wouldn't shock me to see him in the later half of the first with QBs coming off the board 

Scouts Grade

78.9 ( High end Prospect )

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nothing new here. Day 2 prospect who will probably get picked end of 1st round because teams are desperate. This week would have been a big indicator of his skills if he were able to play in the senior bowl. Teams need to see him under center making 3 and 5 step drops and reading defenses and looking off safeties and throwing 10-15 yard outs...you know, NFL QB stuff!

Good work 716.  My full scouting reports on the 7 prospects I have properly watched will be up next month but there is a LOT of commonality in what you see and what I see.  Specifically on progressions there is a lot of one read and the guy is open because it is a well coordinated offense with talented skill players (that shouldn't be held against him in the same way it shouldn't have been held against Watson in 2017) but on the occasions where he does need to get past his first guy he does show an ability to.  My slight nervousness on his progressions is that it is a small playbook that Ok St. run with a lot of plays being run multiple times in a game and his progressions appear at times a little "learned."  Now every scheme in the pros has a 1st progression and then a 2nd progression etc but I wonder whether Mason understands what he is seeing sufficiently to know based on the defensive look that is shutting his #1 down that for example his #2 is unlikely to be open and he should get to his #3 as quickly as possible.  At times I think he struggled with that and you would really, really want to probe him in interviews and visits.  Does he understand and read defenses or does he just understand the Mike Gundy offense? I think missing the Senior Bowl hurts him much more from an interview perspective than it does from a working under center in front of teams perspective.  

I am not quite as high as you overall - but I think there is a lot of maligning him on this forum and much of it unfairly. I an era of a lot of gimmicky spread systems where everything happens behind the line of scrimmage a QB who is asked to throw downfield a lot and does it successfully should give you a reasonable level of confidence in his transition.    

Edited by GunnerBill

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

This ones for you oldtimeAFLguy.

Mason Rudolph was Mel Kipers #1 ranked SR QB heading into the season. The 6'5 230 pound passer has done nothing nothing but produce since taking over the job as a Sophomore 

OVERVIEW

Mason Rudolph has been extremely productive over his career at Oklahoma State. He is a big, strong QB who has displayed some very good football over his 3 years

Rudolph has pretty good arm strength although I wouldn't classify it as elite. He throws well to the intermediate areas , down the seam with zip and throws a very good deep ball

Almost instantly on tape Rudolphs deep ball jumps out to you. It is a staple of his game and a big reason why he is a threat. Whether it's down the sideline or seam he has displayed good arm strength and touch on deep throws

He works the middle of the field well and can fire it down the seams 

A lot of throws are purely 1 read rythem throws. The ball is out before his feet are even planted.  Quick outs and bubble screens... this hindered his progressions a good amount... but the rythem quick out has became an NFL must throw... he does that well

not great lower body mechanics. As stated, the Ball is out regularly before his feet are set... this is a product of his offense as well... If he can learn to set his feet and keep them under him this will increase his accuracy as well 

Due to his spotty mechanics he also tends to have hit or miss accuracy on some shorter throws... it's not uncommon to see him miss a guy high or wide.

Rudolph is a good athlete who was once a prep school TE before transitioning to QB... He moves pretty well for a QB his size and throws decently on the run

He has shown a willingness to step up in the pocket and deliver the throw while taking a hit

STRENGTHS

- Productive 3 year starter

- Good NFL size

- Good NFL caliber deep ball

- throws to the intermediate areas with zip and touch on situations 

-Throws the deep ball with good touch

-Works the seams

-throws good out route 

-Good enough athlete to move around the pocket 

-Throws on run well

-Gets rid of the ball on time 

NEGATIVES

-Spotty lower body mechanics 

-Can sail passes 

-ball placement isn't always great

-played in highly productive spread offense

-Needs work from under center 

-can work on progressions

-Lacks some touch on shorter throws

BOTTOM LINE

Mason Rudolph is a prototypical Pocket Passer who played in a Gimmicky spread Offense. He is a Big, strong armed QB who likes to throw it deep. He does a lot of things well and is elite at nothing. He has good value as a second round pick but it wouldn't shock me to see him in the later half of the first 

Scouts Grade

78.9 ( High end Prospect )

Not my favorite, but I could deal with it (as long as he produces :devil: )

8 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Nothing new here. Day 2 prospect who will probably get picked end of 1st round because teams are desperate. This week would have been a big indicator of his skills if he were able to play in the senior bowl. Teams need to see him under center making 3 and 5 step drops and reading defenses and looking off safeties and throwing 10-15 yard outs...you know, NFL QB stuff!

maybe he figured he'd drop to the third round if he played poorly.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He makes more plays than a Matt Schaub type. 

Good! I'm rooting for the quality qb pool to be expanded. I'm not looking with jaundiced eyes to eliminate prospects but rather looking with receptive eyes to expand the pool and increase the options. 

13 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Says one.

Thanks 716, appreciate the effort. Would not mind the pick on day 2.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

716, Terrific job. Fair and balanced. My fear is that he is a Matt Schaub type of player. Bland but acceptable. 

I would say he has a much stronger arm than Matt Schaub 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Good work 716.  My full scouting reports on the 7 prospects I have properly watched will be up next month but there is a LOT of commonality in what you see and what I see.  Specifically on progressions there is a lot of one read and the guy is open because it is a well coordinated offense with talented skill players (that shouldn't be held against him in the same way it shouldn't have been held against Watson in 2017) but on the occasions where he does need to get past his first guy he does show an ability to.  My slight nervousness on his progressions is that it is a small playbook that Ok St. run with a lot of plays being run multiple times in a game and his progressions appear at times a little "learned."  Now every scheme in the pros has a 1st progression and then a 2nd progression etc but I wonder whether Mason understands what he is seeing sufficiently to know based on the defensive look that is shutting his #1 down that for example his #2 is unlikely to be open and he should get to his #3 as quickly as possible.  At times I think he struggled with that and you would really, really want to probe him in interviews and visits.  Does he understand and read defenses or does he just understand the Mike Gundy offense? I think missing the Senior Bowl hurts him much more from an interview perspective than it does from a working under center in front of teams perspective.  

I am not quite as high as you overall - but I think there is a lot of maligning him on this forum and much of it unfairly. I an era of a lot of gimmicky spread systems where everything happens behind the line of scrimmage a QB who is asked to throw downfield a lot and does it successfully should give you a reasonable level of confidence in his transition.    

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm high on him. I won't endorse him 

He is a high end PROSPECT, but just that a prospect . My grade doesn't indicate a starter, just a prospect with upside.

but the NFL loves drafting QB prospects in the first. Gabbert, Locker, Mahomes, Bortles etc

he will go early second or late first, but I'm not endorsing him... just placing him in the draft

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Says one.

Thanks 716, appreciate the effort. Would not mind the pick on day 2.

Your welcome

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would say he has a much stronger arm than Matt Schaub 

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm high on him. I won't endorse him 

He is a high end PROSPECT, but just that a prospect . My grade doesn't indicate a starter, just a prospect with upside.

but the NFL loves drafting QB prospects in the first. Gabbert, Locker, Mahomes, Bortles etc

Fair enough I obviously misinterpreted your grading system as being higher on him than he is. I have him right on that late 1st / early 2nd borderline but believe he will go earlier than that. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Fair enough I obviously misinterpreted your grading system as being higher on him than he is. I have him right on that late 1st / early 2nd borderline but believe he will go earlier than that. 

I'm not a mathematician lol I wouldn't say my grading system is fool proof

my grades are simple 

90-100- Generational Prospect 

80-89- High end 10 year starter 

70-79- High end prospect ( can develop into good starter)

60-69- low end prospect ( backup potential)

a lot of QBs will fall into the high end prospect range... but that's because a lot of QBs are taken in the 1st 3 rounds with high hopes

He has to overcome scheme, mechanics, and show he can go through progressions before he takes the next step

the positives and negatives column has way more weight than the grade... which is just a number I come up with after giving them grades 1-100  grade in 12 categories and average them

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

my grades are simple 

a lot of QBs will fall into the high end prospect range... but that's because a lot of QBs are taken in the 1st 3 rounds with high hopes

He has to overcome scheme, mechanics, and show he can go through progressions before he takes the next step

the positives and negatives column has way more weight than the grade... which is just a number I come up with after giving them grades 1-100  grade in 12 categories and average them

It sounds quite scientific compared to my grading system :D

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

my grades are simple 

......GREAT job bud with my special thanks...MUCH appreciated!!...............:thumbsup:

On 1/22/2018 at 8:22 PM, kdiggz said:

He will have plenty of opportunity to do all that between now and the draft and under a lot more focused scrutiny by teams interested in him. He’s made himself available to meet this week and that’s probably more important at this juncture. It would have been a bonus for him to play, but it’s not a negative at all.

On another note, I’ve see a lot of worry about the offense he ran in college. That’s not the issue for me. Rather it’s the defenses, or lack thereof, that he was exposed to. College DCs tend to play the same coverage schemes week after week vs. these kinds of offenses. That is the major challenge imo.

it would have been nice to see him under center vs the other competition.  the only opportunity they will have now is the combine and if they host him on a visit and even then they are only throwing vs air.  this was their one shot to see him live and in action

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

He will have plenty of opportunity to do all that between now and the draft and under a lot more focused scrutiny by teams interested in him. He’s made himself available to meet this week and that’s probably more important at this juncture. It would have been a bonus for him to play, but it’s not a negative at all.

On another note, I’ve see a lot of worry about the offense he ran in college. That’s not the issue for me. Rather it’s the defenses, or lack thereof, that he was exposed to. College DCs tend to play the same coverage schemes week after week vs. these kinds of offenses. That is the major challenge imo.

Good point that I forgot to add...they don't play defense in that conference lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.