Remind Me - Why Didn't We Make a Run at Nick Foles?

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

WGR said they wouldn't trade McCoy for Foles strait up because then we wouldn't have a running game. What!? Can get a RB anywhere 

I would not trade McCoy realistically for Foles no way. Maybe example Glenn but not McCoy. 

On topic I would grab Foles. This game showed lots for him. Having to keep up the pace with Patriots offense. That shows lots.

Just now, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I would not trade McCoy realistically for Foles no way. Maybe example Glenn but not McCoy. 

On topic I would grab Foles. This game showed lots for him. Having to keep up the pace with Patriots offense. That shows lots.

QBs over RB all day everyday.

Absolutely would not even entertain the idea of dealing McCoy. If I'm GM, he's a Bill for the rest of his career. He means that much to the team. 

Now, if the Eagles want a 2nd rounder and maybe a 5th....fine, but I am not paying more than that for Foles. 

People crack me up! They don’t want a Super Bowl MVP QB but they do want some college kid who’s never played professional football? Really?  Go get me Nick Foles!

12 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

Absolutely would not even entertain the idea of dealing McCoy. If I'm GM, he's a Bill for the rest of his career. He means that much to the team. 

Now, if the Eagles want a 2nd rounder and maybe a 5th....fine, but I am not paying more than that for Foles. 

So you’d want Shaq Lawson over Nick Foles?  Honestly?

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

People crack me up! They don’t want a Super Bowl MVP QB but they do want some college kid who’s never played professional football? Really?  Go get me Nick Foles!

Right!  Because that's the Nick Foles who shows up each and every game he's played in the NFL.  No questions at all about his ability to sustain play at that level irrespective of what team he might play for.  Nope, none at all. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Right!  Because that's the Nick Foles who shows up each and every game he's played in the NFL.  No questions at all about his ability to sustain play at that level irrespective of what team he might play for.  Nope, none at all. 

With all due respect...I have no idea what your response means.

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What does Shaq Lawson have to do with Shady? I'm trying to figure out where I said anything about Shaq Lawson. 

Just now, rodneykm said:

What does Shaq Lawson have to do with Shady? I'm trying to figure out where I said anything about Shaq Lawson. 

You mentioned that you’d only give a SECOND for Foles. My point is that I’d happily trade our last FIRST (Shaq) for Foles....in a heartbeat!

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

You mentioned that you’d only give a SECOND for Foles. My point is that I’d happily trade our last FIRST (Shaq) for Foles....in a heartbeat!

I'd trade Shaq for Foles, sure. I would not trade either of our 2 picks this year for him. I'd rather take my chances with Bradford or Bridgewater. I think the Eagles hold on to Foles anyway. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

With all due respect...I have no idea what your response means.

It means for much of his career Nick Foles has not played as well as he showed in the playoffs.  It appears that he's a system specific QB who needs to be supported by very good coaching/personnel to succeed.  All food for thought when contemplating acquiring him. 

Just now, rodneykm said:

I'd trade Shaq for Foles, sure. I would not trade either of our 2 picks this year for him. I'd rather take my chances with Bradford or Bridgewater. I think the Eagles hold on to Foles anyway. 

You do realize hindsight is 20:20 right?  The chances of getting a true starter from the Draft is pretty much a crap shoot. I’ll take a semi proven relatively proven veteran every day.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

It means for much of his career Nick Foles has not played as well as he showed in the playoffs.  It appears that he's a system specific QB who needs to be supported by very good coaching/personnel to succeed.  All food for thought when contemplating acquiring him. 

OK...that makes more sense...thanks!  But I’m  always reading on here that every successful player is ‘System specific’ both in the pros and college. I didn’t see much ‘system’ yesterday from Foles. I saw a guy reading a defense, throwing to open receivers...and dropping the deep ball into a tea cup on the sidelines and at the back of the end zone over and over again.  What did you see?

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You do realize hindsight is 20:20 right?  The chances of getting a true starter from the Draft is pretty much a crap shoot. I’ll take a semi proven relatively proven veteran every day.

OK...that makes more sense...thanks!  But I’m  always reading on here that every successful player is ‘System specific’ both in the pros and college. I didn’t see much ‘system’ yesterday from Foles. I saw a guy reading a defense, throwing to open receivers...and dropping the deep ball into a tea cup on the sidelines and at the back of the end zone over and over again.  What did you see?

He excelled in executing the Eagles offense that featured lots of RPO plays and made several outstanding throws into tight windows.  He looked great. 

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

But you'd agree that in the right situation, he can excel, right? Looking back, was there a worse system for him than Jeff Fisher's Rams' offense? They ran a straight-up Air Coryell offense that year, which is about the worst system possible for a player like him. 

PS - in his limited time in KC in 2016, he was actually pretty good: 3 games, 410 yards, 8.5 ypa, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, and a 105.9 rating. That's an Andy Reid offense too, which again is a viable and reasonably common offense in the NFL now. The additional thing is that Belichick clearly struggles against Reid's system. 

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm glad you'd take that approach, however, that wouldn't change mine. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

But you'd agree that in the right situation, he can excel, right? Looking back, was there a worse system for him than Jeff Fisher's Rams' offense? They ran a straight-up Air Coryell offense that year, which is about the worst system possible for a player like him. 

2013 under Chip Kelly and the 2017 Playoffs are the situations where he's excelled.  In any other scenario, he's been unimpressive. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

2013 under Chip Kelly and the 2017 Playoffs are the situations where he's excelled.  In any other scenario, he's been unimpressive. 

See my edit above about KC last year. Objectively, the numbers are really good, and it's the same system as Pederson's. So I'd say that he's only really struggled in a) a classic pro-style offense and b) cold weather games (e.g., the Dallas game this year). Not sure you watched the Rams-Philly game this year, but he was very good when he came in in relief. 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

See my edit above about KC last year. Objectively, the numbers are really good, and it's the same system as Pederson's. So I'd say that he's only really struggled in a) a classic pro-style offense and b) cold weather games (e.g., the Dallas game this year). Not sure you watched the Rams-Philly game this year, but he was very good when he came in in relief. 

I wouldn't say very good.  I thought he was adequate in that game.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz