Bills Qb away?

Mat68

39 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Yes, I agree with Dalton, Smith, Bridgewater, (fill in with 20 other names), we would've played one more game, and lost to Brady (unless the fill in name was Brees, Ben, Ryan, Rivers, Cousins, Newton, Wilson, etc).

Yep. I would have been ok with that result, too. 

Your second point is why I am all-in on trading whatever it takes to swing for a guy like that. 

16th scoring defense.  A more efficent offense would improve the defense aswell.  Bigger picture for me is that the team actually looks equipped to find and or develop a qb.  This is not cleveland or a complete rebuild.  This team reminds be a little bit of the steelers before Roethlisberger.

A lot more than a QB away. The roster definitely 'over-performed'. We need plenty of upgrades, and plenty of guys will need to be replaced, who will not return, for a variety of reasons.

If Kyle Williams retires, we'll need 2 DTs. We already probably need 2 LBers, and a pass rusher.  We'll also need at least one WR, a QB, O-Line. Probably a CB or maybe two.

Agree with those who have us more than a QB away.  Shady demonstrated with the injury he almost miraculously recovered from how thin we are at RB.  The luck we had this year with a 30+ year old surviving virtually the whole season we can't count on this luck.  We not only need the best shot we can have at a replacement at RB but also a late choice of FA just in case.  Add this to the starter needs Promo listed above and I'm a lot more interested in finding an affordable bridge QB who can start and play immediately than spending draft picks we need to play than trading up for a potential franchise QB who almost certainly will not produce for a year.

10 hours ago, Mat68 said:

It is only the first half,  but after Tennessee getting smacked by NE and Jacksonville running all over Pittsburgh my conclusion is that Buffalo's defense is good enough.  Give Mcdermott and that defense a 21st century offense and Buffalo can become one of the best teams in the conference quickly.

Bills D is going to go through a major overhaul this offseason so no way to know what they will be. McDermott seems to have D figured out so I think they can still be good, but:

P Brown, K Williams, Shaq Lawson, A Washington, EJ Gaines, J Hughes, could all be gone. Lorax may change to DE. They will need at least two new starting LB's and maybe all of the front 4 will be different.

The O is a mess. This team is a rebuild now on both sides of the ball and some coaching. Getting to playoffs next year will mean they hit on all the new moves to come and would be an amazing feat. 

This buildup this offseason I am very much looking forward to. It should be fun. I can't wait.

Some us addition by subtraction.  I expect gaines back.  Probably not brown.  Last year the defense was old and slow.  The team had a horrible cap situation and not many picks.  There is a good amount of cap space and expect faster linebakers and a better qb.  That happens buffalo is even better.

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No. We are a QB, two WR, backup RB, backup tackle, two pass rushers and two linebackers away.

That would be ideal, but I think with a decent QB, another offensive weapon, a speedy linebacker, and a good pass rusher we're as good as anyone.

12 hours ago, Mat68 said:

It is only the first half,  but after Tennessee getting smacked by NE and Jacksonville running all over Pittsburgh my conclusion is that Buffalo's defense is good enough.  Give Mcdermott and that defense a 21st century offense and Buffalo can become one of the best teams in the conference quickly.

Absolutely, you can mask many positions in the NFL but QB isn't one of them, well I guess running the ball almost all the time is masking it but you know what I mean.

12 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I do not recall an NFL season, ever, where I was this unimpressed by virtually everyone in the playoffs.

It seems wide open right now.  I agree, a decent QB plus what the Bills have right now could very possibly have beaten any AFC playoff team, in any stadium, barring New England.

I.E., give us a decent QB and get us in the playoffs, and then work the brackets so we don't have to play NE until the AFC Championship game...getting to that game has never looked easier than right now.

11 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo has a fair amount of cap space and loads of draft picks.  The team is not without faults but a Qb with potential and at minimum average play should allow Buffalo to play in this weekend next year and possibly beyond.  For a change I am watching games and watching coaches and teams make mistakes the Bills would not.

Agreed; the Falcons/Eagles game was a case of both teams seemingly perfectly happy to LOSE...sloppy play, penalties, mistakes...neither put in a "playoff performance."

I usually expect to watch playoff football being played a level or 2 beyond what the Bills are capable of; I don't see that this year so much.  I think the Patriots remain a step beyond, but everyone else seems beatable and they just don't scare me.

If we can get a QB, a QB of the defense like Roquan Smith or Tegray Scales, an OLB like Bradham, and keep Gaines. Then use our other picks to find a pass rusher, a couple of DT's to clog the middle, better RB depth, an OL starter or two, and we are in business. This scouting department better be on top of their game.