Was Greg Roman actually a good OC?

Klaista2k

His offense was tailored to the talent, you have a good running back, a mauling O-line and a QB that can run and not turn the ball over. On top of that the Bills in 2015 were thought to have a fantastic defense so that kind of offensive game was going to complement a good defense. Although Lynn did a good job taking over for him I thought Roman was a good coordinator. I honestly think that the Bills drought would have been over had they kept Jim Schwartz as the head coach and then hired Roman as the OC and made similar moves. Rex trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hold on defense threw away a great defense. 

We hated him when he was here just like we hate every OC here.  That's actually the real streak we've yet to break: # consecutive years Bills fans have screamed for the OC to be fired.   It's been what, 28 years since Marchibroda?  Come to think of it, I'm sure people where screaming to fire him too.

We scored 31 points, Taylor threw for 297 yards and 3 TD's and they fired Roman after we lost 37-31 to the Jets.  Since then like I said earlier he took a Baltimore team and scored basically a TD more per game and there's no McCoy there and no one thinks Flacco is great.  Roman might be the best system coach out there.  He can use just about any QB provided they are athletic and can get mismatches both rushing and passing.  Manuel posted two games over 250 yards passing in 2015 that we lost largely due to his interceptions and the fact we couldn't play defense.  There's no doubt in my mind we would have scored well over 20 ppg with the same players if Roman was here.  All that said we are a full season into Dennison.  We don't have his QB, we don't have any sure fire healthy undisputed #1 pass catchers, and we have an o-line that is/was pretty nasty at run blocking but very iffy with pass blocking.  I haven't liked Dennison's offenses even with a handful of superstars.  I'm less than enthused about the prospects of him building a 24ppg offense with a rookie and no pass catchers.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Roman did a pretty good job covering up for a lot of weaknesses.

He schemed brilliantly.

But his scheme is likely to win a Super Bowl only if nearly every other phase of team play is really really good. He's a bit Paleozoic.

Roman's offense scored 31 in the SB with a chance to win it.

21 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

We scored 31 points, Taylor threw for 297 yards and 3 TD's and they fired Roman after we lost 37-31 to the Jets.  Since then like I said earlier he took a Baltimore team and scored basically a TD more per game and there's no McCoy there and no one thinks Flacco is great.  Roman might be the best system coach out there.  He can use just about any QB provided they are athletic and can get mismatches both rushing and passing.  Manuel posted two games over 250 yards passing in 2015 that we lost largely due to his interceptions and the fact we couldn't play defense.  There's no doubt in my mind we would have scored well over 20 ppg with the same players if Roman was here.  All that said we are a full season into Dennison.  We don't have his QB, we don't have any sure fire healthy undisputed #1 pass catchers, and we have an o-line that is/was pretty nasty at run blocking but very iffy with pass blocking.  I haven't liked Dennison's offenses even with a handful of superstars.  I'm less than enthused about the prospects of him building a 24ppg offense with a rookie and no pass catchers.

But Roman isn't the DC in Baltimore. Assistant head coach and tight ends coach.

He's not the guy primarily responsible for the offensive system there. That's Mornhinweg.

They're 14th in points per drive and 24th in yards per drive. And that's with the best average drive start field position in the league. The defense and STs consistently put their offense in good positions.

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He's not the guy primarily responsible for the offensive system there. That's Mornhinweg.

They're 14th in points per drive and 24th in yards per drive. And that's with the best average drive start field position in the league. The defense and STs consistently put their offense in good positions.

True.  So I'm not sure how much credit he can get on the offense.  Either way people constantly argue yards in a game where the scoreboard is what matters.  With no established running back, a fairly old and not spectacular Flacco, and retreads at WR they still averaged basicaly 6 points, a TD, more than us.  There are other offensive minds out there that make big impacts on thier teams or whatever teams they move to.  We don't currently have one of those minds here.

11 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Roman's offense scored 31 in the SB with a chance to win it.

What did I say? Oh, yeah, "But his scheme is likely to win a Super Bowl only if nearly every other phase of team play is really really good." Yup, that SF team is a perfect example of that. I was absolutely correct.

People forget that during their late comeback they had two drive starts inside Baltimore's 25 yard line. That was huge. One at the 20 and one at the 24. Ten points off that. 

The defense and STs put them in position to win that game, and they still couldn't quite do it.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

What did I say? Oh, yeah, "But his scheme is likely to win a Super Bowl only if nearly every other phase of team play is really really good." Yup, that SF team is a perfect example of that. I was absolutely correct.

People forget that during their late comeback they had two drive starts inside Baltimore's 25 yard line. That was huge. One at the 20 and one at the 24. Ten points off that. 

The defense and STs put them in position to win that game, and they still couldn't quite do it.

You give credit to the defense for setting up the offense but somehow excuse the fact that they gave up 34 points in the first place.  We were on the 1 yard line with 1st and goal Sunday.  How many TD's did we score?  I don't care where a team starts.  I care about how many points the offense scores.  Getting in the end zone is what it's all about.  If the defense has stopped the Raven's all game and the offense only scored 3 points then you'd have something but that's not the case.

On 1/7/2018 at 11:55 PM, Klaista2k said:

Under Roman wasn't our offense statistically pretty good?

I know we were 1st in rushing and I think maybe 10th overall in offense? And that was WITH Tyrod as his quarterback... So do you think he was actually a pretty good OC or not?

His running game was good, but the passing attack under both Roman and Lynn was no better than under Dennison.  

Overall the difference between 2015-2016 and 2017 was under Roman and Lynn we got TDs from the running game in chunks.  This year those chuck plays were stopped or McCoy came out and you were stuck running those plays with Tolbert.  

Dennison did very little to impact TT numbers and actually you saw him play better on third downs because not every third down pass last year was a deep go route.

What I saw was a schemed passing attack that had guys open on multiple levels and a QB that was consistently late on throws and reads.  If they decide to replace Dennison that is fine, but it is nearly impossible to know the impact that having a subpar passing QB caused in a West Coast Offense.

46 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Roman did a pretty good job covering up for a lot of weaknesses.

He schemed brilliantly.

But his scheme is likely to win a Super Bowl only if nearly every other phase of team play is really really good. He's a bit Paleozoic.

I think this is a very fair assessment and it is probably true of any coordinator whose bread and butter is the run game.  You can't win a Superbowl with an outstanding run game (even with the best run game coordinator in the league) if you are not stopping teams and getting short fields on defense and have an efficient (even if not explosive) passing game and good special teams.  

50 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

You give credit to the defense for setting up the offense but somehow excuse the fact that they gave up 34 points in the first place.  We were on the 1 yard line with 1st and goal Sunday.  How many TD's did we score?  I don't care where a team starts.  I care about how many points the offense scores.  Getting in the end zone is what it's all about.  If the defense has stopped the Raven's all game and the offense only scored 3 points then you'd have something but that's not the case.

I don't care that you don't care where a team starts. It's HUGE. There's a chart that shows the possiblity of points at each yard mark of the field. When you start a drive at the opponent's 20, your likelihood of scoring a TD is around 50%. Good field position is gigantic.

http://phdfootball.blogspot.jp/2013/06/field-position-and-scoring.html

http://www.drivebyfootball.com/2011/06/our-expected-points-model.html

I don't excuse the defense giving up 34 points in that game. But that 49ers defense was terrific. 

Let me repeat, ""But his scheme is likely to win a Super Bowl only if nearly every other phase of team play is really really good." That's what I said, and it stands. Sensational defenses both years the Niners made the conference championship.

The rest of that SF team gave them two terrific drive starts in the SB. Without that they're not even competitive. 

That team was spectacular all the way around. How did Roman's scheme do in 2014 when the team wasn't as terrifically talented? The defense drops to 10th in points - still pretty good but not great - and they go 8-8.

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is a very fair assessment and it is probably true of any coordinator whose bread and butter is the run game.  You can't win a Superbowl with an outstanding run game (even with the best run game coordinator in the league) if you are not stopping teams and getting short fields on defense and have an efficient (even if not explosive) passing game and good special teams.  

Yup, good point. If the run game is your specialty, you need to have the lead a lot. You will have a hard time coming from behind. That means you need a good defense. And you need short fields often and you need the lead so the run game's clock-burning tendency helps you rather than hurts you.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Isn't he also their "Run Game Coordinator" or something to that effect?

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I don't excuse the defense giving up 34 points in that game. But that 49ers defense was terrific. 

Let me repeat, ""But his scheme is likely to win a Super Bowl only if nearly every other phase of team play is really really good." That's what I said, and it stands. Sensational defenses both years they made the conference championship.

The rest of that SF team gave them two terrific drive starts in the SB. Without that they're not even competitive. 

That team was spectacular all the way around. How did Roman's scheme do in 2014 when the team wasn't as terrifically talented?

You give the defense and special team credit yet they gave up 100 yard kickoff for a TD and two 10 plus play drives in the second half.  The offense wasn't capable of keeping it competitive?  I just realized that I'm trying to debate such a ridiculous point.  It's an offense that scored 104 points in 3 games against playoff competition.   What team is going to win a SB if any phase of team play is awful?  Is there a team that can play bad defense and special teams and just outscore everyone in a SB?  To the original point, Roman is a good coordinator.  As far as 2014 he had a bad year.  Talent was still there, plenty of yards and general offense.  They just had a collapse late in the season.  Rushing TD's were way down and Vernon Davis seemingly fell of the face of the planet.

37 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Isn't he also their "Run Game Coordinator" or something to that effect?

He was Senior Offensive Assistant and Tight Ends Coach officially but was, in effect, the run game coordinator.  

He is now Assistant Head Coach.