Excellent observations from Joe B.

PIZ

7 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Yes. good points. That pass play on 1st and goal at the 1, AND the two pass plays at the end of the 1st half were really a case of outsmarting yourself. Damn. It cost the game. Boomer Esiason, while clearly indicating Taylor decided the pass at the goal line, clearly blamed the coaches for allowing TT to have the run/pass option in the first place. Also, was it just me that screamed at the Bills to get a play off quickly before the challenge flag could be thrown by Marrone.. to no avail? McD is a first year coach, and he has made a lot of these time managament errors all year. Which is not surprising for a rookie, but it is from a "process" cerebral coach.

That and many missed throws by Tyrod. He's so cautious he prefers to overthrow players instead of risking the INT. Am I hallucinating or in his first year for the Bills he had a great deep ball and wasn't afraid to throw it? And to add insult to injury Bortles clearly outplayed Tyrod in the run game. 

Yes, there have been a few instances in the last 3 years where the Bills seemed to get a lucky call and I don't think they once got to the line and snapped it before either the replay booth chimed in or the opposing coach threw the red flag.  You'd think after 3 years as starter, Tyrod would be better at this.  

Also, yes, Tyrod took more deep shots with a healthy Sammy. That was also a bone of contention because they too frequently did it on 3rd and short.   Different OC and head coach, though.

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Decent piece, but let's not overinterpret the pass at the goal line. It was a safe play which should result in either an incompletion or a td. The wildcard was benjamin's OPI, which neither taylor nor dennison planned for. That play is on benjamin. It really is ok to try and pass it in at the goal line. The other 31 teams do it all of the time.

Its not smart to pass it on 1st and goal from the 1when you have a bad pass offense, especially a play that requires you to get rid of the ball quickly.  Your strength is running so run it.  

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Very fair and balanced article by Buscaglia.  

I would like to see the Bills move on from Dennison, but I'm afraid McDermott "loyalty" will trump analysis and Dennison will successfully finger-point to Taylor, deflecting attention from the fact Lynn and Roman were successful at getting more from him and our O (and that personnel decisions at WR played a role)

I agree, and for more than just the points you made. If you go back and watch the All 22, it is clear that in every game, the scheme did get players consistently open and Tyrod either didn't see them or went to shorter options. P,us, he has definitely lost confidence in the long ball. His first season he was very accurate on throws over 20 yards, and has become very conservative each and every game since then. 

I am not not a fan of Rico at all, and maybe if they could just find a new QB it might get better, but playcalling still seems a bit weak. That being said, a lot of the playcalling might be Rico's way of compensating for Tyrod. I guess we will find out soon.

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Decent piece, but let's not overinterpret the pass at the goal line. It was a safe play which should result in either an incompletion or a td. The wildcard was benjamin's OPI, which neither taylor nor dennison planned for. That play is on benjamin. It really is ok to try and pass it in at the goal line. The other 31 teams do it all of the time.

It is also more about burning clock. You run there no matter what, if you dont get in the first 3 tries then kick the fg. Then after on the kick off send the ball into the endzone and leave no time for them to score at the end of the half. This is what smart coordinators and QBs do.

Also, TT still hasn’t learned to quick snap if a challenge is looming- so frustrating and more reasons to move on.

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Like (+1) 1