McDermott got the most out of a largely limited roster

I'll let everyone in on a secret.  It is called "big uglies".  This draft, we go in big for defensive linemen and linebackers, and then offensive linemen.  We take one QB in the first two rounds and then BPA after that. .... Repeat next year.  .......The first thing in football is.... can you push the other fellow back and either keep him from getting around you- or get around him.   If we can do this with our front 7 on defense and front 6 on offense, then everything else opens up.  Get the cheap, essential guys early. They are cheap and last a long time.  Then go after the smaller talent guys.

It is not rocket science.

You don't put a supercharger on a pinto.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

McDermott got the most out of a largely limited QB.

Facts: this is the worst of TT's 3 years as a starter by any metric but INTs.  Lower total passing yards, lower yards/game, lower ay/a, lower TDs, lower QBR, more sacks, more sack yards lost, lower total rushing yards, lower rushing y/a, lower rushing y/game.  Furthermore, in previous seasons, TT had no games of less than 100 yds/game passing.  This year, he had 2 such games.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylTy00.htm

So how can you argue McDermott got the most out of him?

3 hours ago, teef said:

scott, that decision on a qb is for the temporary.  i think we all knew that.  tyrod had to take a pay cut just to come back.  to think he was part of a long term solution, and that you should build around him just isn't correct.

I think there's a misunderstanding of terminology here. 

"Build around him" means you put other pieces in place that a player needs to be successful.

An example of that would be when the Bills traded up to get Watkins, thinking EJ was their Dalton and they were getting him his AJ Green.

You DON'T do that when you've got a bridge guy in place, agreed. 

"Utilize a system that fits him" means you take whatever offensive scheme you want to run - WCO, E-P, whatever - use that terminology and those route trees, so that guys are learning them, sure, but FROM THAT SCHEME, you select plays and variants of plays that suit the skill sets of the players you have on a given day (and the weaknesses of an opponent on a given day).  Then you make adjustments based upon the coverages your opponent is actually using and what they're actually giving you.  If you're a good OC, you not only can do that on a year by year basis, you need to do it on a game-by-game basis.

Dennison has yet to show he can do the latter, and we would have been better off this year if he had.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So how can you argue McDermott got the most out of him?

He made him play QB.  

He got the best he could from a guy who isn’t a natural pocket passing QB. 

Also sprinkle in a bit of sarcasm.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I think when you look back at it, at the time, Dennison was a good hire.  He'd worked with TT before.  However, you couldn't predict TT looking and being so timid in something that he learned years ago.  So, I thought at the time it was a good move and I think the thinking was right.  If we are bringing this guy back, let's get him someone he's worked with before.

Now as for the other stuff, I definitely think McD got much more out of a very limited roster than most could get.  It's a roster that needs to be infused with talent.  Need more toughness and strength in the trenches.  Need more speed and explosiveness at a lot of key positions.  And definitely, need a QB.  It was a fun ride.  We might take a step back before getting better, we'll have to see.   So enjoy what we had this year although it was maddening at times LOL.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You sure about that? 

Again, the offense averaged a TD more a game last season compared to this one. What changed? 

A HC who wants a sustainable offense with a franchise QB. That's what changed. 

An offense that has the ability to put up major points with a real passer. 

If you want a complete team like the Steelers, Saints, Pats, etc...you need to have that QB in place. And this is a system that QB can thrive in.

Tyrod is not that QB.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unclear a bit what you mean.  Do you mean Taylor is the sole, or the largest factor?  I don't think I'm a die-hard TT fan, I see his limitations and flaws, but I don't agree.

Was TT a big part of the loss?  Yes.

Was he the sole factor that cost them the game?  No.  The WR/TE made mistakes (batting a pass up, penalties, stepping OOB before a catch) and dropped a number of catchable balls.  When Romo is sitting in the booth saying "that was actually a good throw by Taylor, he's got to catch that" and when the couch duffers like myself can see other WR pulling in far higher degree of difficulty balls - it's not just on the QB.

Then there's the play calling.  I may actually see if I can get a trial and look at all 22 on this one though I've become quite...Hapless about coach's film the last 3 years and probably someone else will do good deep-dive assessments.

As you said, the D showed up, McCoy showed up - I will add, the OL showed up for the most part - Taylor and the WR did not.  And I'm not clear that Dennison can show up. 

In my opinion - Tyrod cost them the game, between the simply STOOPID idea to throw on 1st and Goal from the 1 and the number of over throws, THAT is what contributed mightily to the Bills inability to take control of the game.  Pretty much all season long he did the same.  Dennison also shares a significant part of the blame but he isn't throwing the ball.

Both need to start fresh anew somewhere else next year......

17 hours ago, GreggTX said:

AND traded down to get the best player in the draft AND got an extra 1st round pick. Best draft day move since that blockbuster trade that brought Biscuit here.

Coach does get credit for getting White;  however, I think he misplayed his hand with passing on a QB.  I think he felt that he had a 4 win team which would set him up with 2 firsts to get one of the QB rock stars in the 2018 draft, which everyone was saying had more QB potential than 2017.  Also, he thought a 4 win team would give him a chance to see what NP could do.   If he knew he was going to have a playoff team before the 2017 draft, he would've nabbed a QB in 1st, with him starting by the KC game.  More importantly, we would have Mahomes or Prescott, locked and loaded for 2018, and we could use our 2018 first on a DE.  We still may get our guy in 2018, but winning this year may result in 2 steps back in 2018 because we aren't able to get a QB or the rookie QB may need a year to learn or may be a complete bust.  In waiting, the coach took a big chance, but he believed the risk wasn't big because he would be picking low with a 4 win team.  Coach said that he was surprised that the team could win this much.  Winning will result in reducing a shot at the QB he had in mind.  This is the reality that confronts him now.  Maybe things will work out, and we'll have our guy in 2018, but the costs will be much higher:  not just our 2 firsts but a 2019 first too.  Very expensive and risky.  Go Bills!!!