Offseason Discussion: Secondary

Numark3

Despite a tough loss in the playoffs, this season was objectively a step forward: with a team many predicted would get 4-6 wins, the Bills ended the playoffs drought.  Now the off-season is upon us, and the bills should have plenty of cap room and draft picks to address their needs.  I figured it would be great to take a look at the different units.  Starting with a strong unit, the defensive backs.

[Quarterback-- Offensive Line-- Wide Receivers -- Tight Ends -- Defensive Line -- Linebackers -- Secondary -- Special Teams]

Starters

CB - White (signed through 2020, with 2021 option)

CB - Gaines (free agent)

FS - Poyer (signed through  2020)

SS - Hyde (signed through 2021)

Depth

CB - Wright (free agent)

CB - Johnson (free agent)

CB - Pitts (RFA)

CB - Borders (signed through 2019, RFA in 2020)

FS - Anderson (free agent)

SS - Thomas (free agent)

ProFootball Focus Season Ratings

White (Elite)

Gaines (High Quality)

Poyer (High Quality)

Hyde (High Quality)

Wright (Below Average)

Johnson (Below Average)

Questions

1) Do we resign Gaines or not?  If not, we have one opening starter spot.

2) How much attention do we need to give to depth?  Shareece Wright and Leonard Johnson (both free agents) were both inconsistent throughout the season, and this is a depth area with a lot of playtime.  By virtue of playing with more than 4 defensive backs in plenty of packages, and because Gaines is an injury risk.  Regardless of if we resign Gaines, this may be a depth area that needs attention.

3) How angry would you be if we draft a cornerback in the top two rounds!

Thoughts?

Edited by Crayola64

I’d re-sign Gaines to a two year deal

wright/Johnson/Shamarko can all get vet min deals

if joshoua Jackson falls to us I’d 100% draft him and then we fill out any other depth through fa/low picks in the draft

14 minutes ago, WMDman said:

I’d re-sign Gaines to a two year deal

wright/Johnson/Shamarko can all get vet min deals

if joshoua Jackson falls to us I’d 100% draft him and then we fill out any other depth through fa/low picks in the draft

I would agree that a two or three year deal for Gaines makes sense.  A high draft choice spent on a CB maybe not.  There are too many other holes to fill.

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I would agree that a two or three year deal for Gaines makes sense.  A high draft choice spent on a CB maybe not.  There are too many other holes to fill.

Fair, I just can see McD falling in love with Jackson. Perfect scheme fit

Re-sign Wright, Johnson, and Gaines.  Wright isn't terrible depth for Gaines, and hopefully with an upgraded DLine, the secondary will look even better.  Johnson is a great open field tackler, but coverage has a lot to be desired.