Bills' dreadful run defense could lead to offseason makeover

Dumping big 99's salary was a smart move, obviously the 5th round pick we received is meaningless in the big picture.  We dodged a $54 million cap hit for an inconsistent player. Can we go back to that draft and take AJ green or patrick peterson now?

Edited by Da webster guy

The focus is really on building and preparing for next year.  This year they shed a lot of guys who didn't want to be in Buffalo and who would not have re-signed.  And they opened up cap space.  And they got a lot of draft picks.

Also very important, they got the team thinking they could win.  Odds are they won't make the playoffs this year.  The killer loss was Cincy -- all those turnovers and we couldn't cash in.  Terrible.  But the Bills are fighting and learning to work together and trust each other.

As to hurting our draft position.  Well, yeah, that's true but it's a lot more important to have a winning attitude and draft at 20 or so, than to have a loser's mentality and draft at 6 or so.  Teams (I'm thinking of you, Sabres) that lose a lot and get a lot of high draft picks, end up with some good players on a rotten team.

All season long, with the exception of Cincy and that horrible three game stretch, the Bills have been scrapping and fighting.  I'm very satisfied with the progress and very hopeful for next year.  And until Sunday night arrives and we see what we see, who knows.

2 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

This still doesn't change my overall opinion of Dareus. He's obviously a very good player on the field when he wants to be but in no way was worth the ridiculous money Jim Overdorf Whaley gave him. But at the end of the day we essentially traded a much stouter defensive unit and better shot at the playoffs for a 5th round pick that could amount to nothing.

And I still think Dareus opened things up for the pass rush as well which has markedly declined as the season went on and also exposed KW as being finished and mostly a liability this season especially against the Run.

Correction...ok.

Now to the meat of the discussion, I agree with you regarding the untimely moving of an unimpressive start to the season by MD...the decision have exposed the short-comings of KW, Adolphus Washington and the rest of the motley crew, that has filled in since MD departure.

Maybe, McBean feels that it may be cheaper to repair some of the shortcoming on defense with FA signing but traditional its more expensive unless they wait for the "dust settles" type.

3 hours ago, theAteam said:

How the hell are we 8-6 with that defense and that offense?

You watch teams with a functioning QB and you quickly realize just how limited we are at that position.  

If this group can achieve that record, wait until we have a QB who can deliver a consistently good passing attack.

We'll be instant perennial playoff contenders.

3 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

We can no longer ignore the metrics that say this was a much better defense with Marcel Dareus in the lineup. And no matter how Beane and McD spin it, there was no real reason to unload Dareus when they did and simply could have waited until the offseason. And in hindsight this very well may be the move that kept this team out of playoffs:

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/30614/bills-dreadful-run-defense-could-lead-to-offseason-makeover

We will get  a DT. Getting a sixth for him is a travesty.

Probably true about missing the playoffs, one more win and we are in.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

3 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I'd love to tell you it was the coaching but it was merely the result of a very poor AFC conference and the Bills facing many disappointing teams at home that many experts had pegged as legit SB caliber teams before the season started (i.e. Raiders, Dolphins, Bucs, Broncos)

it was the turnovers in the first half of the season. We won games because of those.

11 minutes ago, klos63 said:

it was the turnovers in the first half of the season. We won games because of those.

That 3 game decimation coincides with us getting run over on defense, which is directly related to Marcy being traded even though he didn't play much. But when he did he solidified the run defense.

I'm hoping we get Olive Sagapolu, Greg Gaines, Vita Vea, Harrison Philips.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

3 hours ago, BillsFan1 said:

No question Dareus did not want to play for McD.  Did not even have enough respect for him to call him Coach.  Two interviews I saw Dareus called him McDermott.  He was as good as gone at that point.

Really? Wow.