Why the NFL will never die

Foreigner

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I did read that yes.  And I agree with the color rush--ridiculous clown suits.

I guess some players can file a frivolous lawsuit. But what would be the point of a hopeless suit?  Prospective jurors (i.e. NFL fans) are tired of seeing these guys headhunt and cheap shot each other and then turn around and blame their employer for their future health problems.

Then they will be coming out strong for a pay cut.  The NFL just got 900 million for 2 seasons ($5 million PER GAME) last year for TNF.

You really think that the NFLPA or even the players individually will take that pay cut for a game they have to play what, once a year??

No way at all the happens.

We'll see.   The things I read are that the players are worried about higher injury rates with the Thursday night games.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

We'll see.   The things I read are that the players are worried about higher injury rates with the Thursday night games.

There is no evidence this is true.  I'll bet more players are hurt in preseason  games and there are still four of them.

When money is on the table, all protests and player grandstanding on social media by players ends.  They will take the money as they alway do---and as they should.

None of them will give up money to get 3 more days of rest before one game per year.  It does;t make any sense to believe this.

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It will eventually die because mothers simply won't allow their kids to play it anymore. It's already starting.  The player pool will slowly diminish. 

It may be starting in communities where the alternatives are skiing and tennis, but in the communities that currently supply most of the NFl players, there will be no such shortage of mothers (and dads) looking to get this life for their sons

The NFL is on shaky ground. Not as shaky as scandal ridden Hollywood but close. Sensible parents will no longer put their kids in football. It's just too dangerous. It will become like boxing - something only the very poor or very desperate take part in. The subsidies for billionaire owners are indefensible by any sane analysis and I've been an NFL junkie all my life. 

The corruption in college sport is worse as the Louisville/Adidas debacle will soon reveal.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It will eventually die because mothers simply won't allow their kids to play it anymore. It's already starting.  The player pool will slowly diminish. 

There will be plenty of players to step in and take their place. There are what 290 or so div 1 college football programs? Only 2% of those get drafted to try to land one of around 2000 jobs for NFL players. It's not going to change the pipeline all that much. Life changing money assures that. 

I don't think it will ever die because I think Football satisfies this inherent barbaric need we have. I think it's just a natural ebb and flow we're seeing, It's still a buttload more popular than it was 15-20 years ago even with this sudden "downturn," which I think has as much to do with viewing habits as anything.

Get safety and equipment continually better and suddenly parents will be putting their kids in pads again.

In the 1940s or 1950s, ML baseball reigned supreme in this country as the #1 sport, and the NFL wasn't even in the conversation.

Slowly, over time, things change.  The NFL is now the undisputed champ of pro sports in America, undoubtedly, and baseball has receded out of the limelight for a whole host of reasons.

Fast forward another 50 years and I think the NFL will be nothing like what it is now, if it even still exists.

CTE research and lack of youth participation will slowly kill the game over time.

A "pro football league" of some type may well exist, but it will be marginalized and nothing like what the NFL is now.

10 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I'm not sure that tons of kids will always want to play. 

At some point common sense will prevail and parents will force their kids into other sports. 

Since a large percentage of players come from poor families, they will likely still follow the dream.