Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’m not assuming a loss to New England but I’m also not assuming we win 3 in a row for the first time all year AND get all the help we need. 

And again, this is relatively low risk (even if you miss the cost is low), high reward (huge swing in odds of scoring if you make it).

I get the sense from McDermott, that he looks at every game as if he is playing the same generic opponent every time.   It explains his line of thinking and decision making.

I get the sense that he assumes his odds of beating the Patriots are the same as beating anybody else.   And I think that is why he coached the way he did when the Bills played the Patriots.    He kicked a field goal on his first scoring attempt, when he was in a situation where he could have and should have (my opinion) gone for it.

And I think it explains his mentality against the Colts.    All opponents the same dime a dozen team.   And I hate that line of thinking because it is B.S.

If that is truly the way he thinks, we may never see McDermott coach the Bills to a victory over the Patriots.   He won't be here long enough to eventually accomplish it if that is the case.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

At the end of the season you make the playoffs if you have enough wins compared to losses.  No one asks who your wins were against or who you losses were to.  You make the playoffs on your record.  

I'm sorry if a tie would have hurt your feelings; I want a coach who's trying to preserve the Bills chances to make the playoffs.  

Lol what in God's name makes you think they would win in New England if they can't even beat the Colts at home?

A tie barely preserves anything. 3 percent chance if they tie. If he's happy with that then he is a loser coach. You have to win that game yesterday against a terrible team. No if, ands, or buts

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yes of course because they should have proceeded with high confidence that they'd win the final three games after knotting with the lowly Colts

You're the third person to mention the Colts being a bad team as if that has anything to do with the decision at all. This wasn't a normal game. Our respective records didn't matter, it was a fight to survive until the end.

And until we get a coaching staff that takes chances and goes for the jugular, we will be stuck in the never ending carousel of mediocrity.

The NFL is missing coaches like Buddy Ryan, Jerry Glanville, etc.........they might not have always made the rights calls, but god, they were eccentric and made games interesting.

Punt on 4th and 1 and go for the tie?

Aye Carumba 

10 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Lol what in God's name makes you think they would win in New England if they can't even beat the Colts at home?

Come on you know this isn't how the NFL works. We beat the Falcons in Atlanta. The Jets scored more points on us than the Patriots. I could go on forever.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Come on you know this isn't how the NFL works. We beat the Falcons in Atlanta. The Jets scored more points on us than the Patriots. I could go on forever.

When was the last time the Bills won in Foxboro? Not counting the 2014 game where the Pats pulled their starters at the half

Just now, billsfan11 said:

When was the last time the Bills won in Foxboro? Not counting the 2014 game where the Pats pulled their starters at the half

Do you really think this question should have played into McDermott's thinking? I think that is as gutless as it gets.

All this over a decision in a game we won!! It went exactly the way he wanted it to except we let the Colts get one 1st down. He made the decision expecting a 3 and out. So the decision didn't go exactly as planned and we still won. No one is changing their mind on this but don't pretend it's as clear cut as you think. 

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You're the third person to mention the Colts being a bad team as if that has anything to do with the decision at all. This wasn't a normal game. Our respective records didn't matter, it was a fight to survive until the end.

Really? Did you notice anything out of the ordinary about this one? :)

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Do you really think this question should have played into McDermott's thinking? I think that is as gutless as it gets.

All this over a decision in a game we won!! It went exactly the way he wanted it to except we let the Colts get one 1st down. He made the decision expecting a 3 and out. So the decision didn't go exactly as planned and we still won. No one is changing their mind on this but don't pretend it's as clear cut as you think. 

I think going into this game he had to know it was a must win, absolutely. 

You can't bank your season on winning the last 3 games, especially with two road games and one against the defending champs.

Its a very clear cut decision to go for it in my opinion.  And it actually didn't go exactly the way he planned it. He planned not to lose the game. It was better than he even expected

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I didn't like the call, but I’m not judging an entire regime on a single decision. Knee jerk stuff bothers me. We are less than a season in....oh, and we won. 

I agree that that it doesn’t define his career.

and he got away with it.

but I hope that’s considered a mistake and not a philosophy that defines his approach 

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

You can't bank your season on winning the last 3 games, especially with two road games and one against the defending champs.

This is where we disagree. I don't think we can afford to lose another game either way. I doubt McDermott thought about it this hard, but when I look at tiebreakers and the records of the other wildcard contenders I just don't see a path in at 9-7. But 9-6-1, absolutely.

23 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’m still curious at what yard line you would go for it, happy or Shaw? 35? 30? Not until you are confident you make the fg (and where is that?)

also, if you miss at the 40, what do you think the odds of the colts scoring are?

That's a good question.   Certainly go for it at the 30.  It's 47 yard field goal into the wind, so that's not a good idea.    Punting from the 40 you can count on gaining 25 yards of field position, maybe more.   That's worth it.  Punting from the 30 only gets you 25 yards, so it isn't a big enough difference.   

It's really an odd situation.   I'd almost say that you never go for it.   Either punt or kick the field goal.   But I certainly would have gone for it on the 30.   

I don't know the odds of the Colts scoring from anywhere.   All I know is that the odds are considerably higher when they start 25 yards closer.    Remember, Vinatieri probably only needed the line of scrimmage to be at the 35 to have a shot at the field goal.   Turning the ball over at the 40 would have given the Colts a short field.   So I'd say the Colts chances of winning from the 40 were probably twice there chances from the 15.   

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I agree that that it doesn’t define his career.

and he got away with it.

but I hope that’s considered a mistake and not a philosophy that defines his approach 

It was such a strange game I’d lessen the weight I’d normally given it in rating him, but it’s still real. And we still won....so there’s that.  But I’d have preferred to go for it. 

8 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Their season depended on winning the last 4 games already.   Or winning 3 and tying 1.   They couldn't afford a loss yesterday.