Is McDermott the new McDaniels?

Jerry Jabber

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Your post highlights one of my pet peeves.  Qualifying wins.  So many people downgrade the team when they win, that it was more about the other team being bad, and so on.  And then immediately bring up they can't beat the Pats. 

Why can you not simply accept a few actual facts.  Fact is they came back from a blowout  loss to win a game they had to have and are still solidly in the playoff race.  They won!  

I really wonder if other other franchises have fans that continually degrade their teams winning games.

You don't think there is any possible way McAdoo comes back?

Absolutely not.  They want McDoo gone badly.  I think he is being "professional" so that he can land another job sooner rather than later. 
I'd be shocked if he was associated with the Giants next year.

9 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

And the Bills have been averaging between 6-7 wins per year for the past 17 years. So what if the Bills win 7 or 8 games, if they miss the playoffs again, it’s the same thing year after year, drafting in the same spots and continuing to be mediocre.

so you can see in to the future, expecting the same. that's some foresight you have there.

This is silly. 

McDaniels had a massive ego when he took the HC job in Denver. I read the book "Slow Getting Up" by Nate Jackson, a former WR/special teams guy who played in Denver while McDaniels coached there. He stated that McDaniels was arrogant, cold and disconnected from his players and talked out of both sides of his mouth. Generally just a cocky SOB who felt his schemes could create winners anywhere. 

McDermott is a humble guy who has made it one of his top priorities to create strong team chemistry and a family-like atmosphere. You've heard it from some of the players this season. It's one of the closest teams they've been on. And that's because McDermott and Beane have a pretty specific set of traits they want in their players. 

I was very surprised when McDermott made the switch to Peterman because from day one he's struck me as a guy with a very detailed plan and a "stay the course/weather the storm" mentality where he typically wouldn't make major changes mid-season. 

It is interesting, though, that Dennison wasn't his first or even second choice. I feel like he hired Dennison because of his experience and I think it was a smart move for McDermott to round out his staff with experienced coaches he could lean on and learn from. 

What I hope McDermott isn't is a coach that's too stubborn and/or loyal to his assistants to make changes after the season. If he's true to what he says about constantly evaluating all aspects of the team and how each position needs to be earned, then that should apply to coaches as well. And at this point I would say Dennison hasn't done well enough as a playcaller to keep McDermott from giving serious consideration to making a change after the season. 

But he's not like McDaniels at all. They turned over this roster primarily to open up cap space so they have the money to go after the types of players they want. Some of it has been about buying into the process but no coach can expect every single player to be 100% on board with their vision. There will always be guys that question the process and that's fine. Coaches need to be smart enough to know that they won't have complete buy-in from everyone. But if the talent outweighs the lack of buy-in (and depending how much they lack that commitment to the process) he's gotta be smart enough to keep players like that. 

I've said this before. I hope this regime doesn't limit themselves to drafting/signing nothing but choir boys for this team. If they have two players on the board that they both like and one has superior athletic talent and a bit of an attitude problem vs. a guy who is a solid but not spectacular player with high character, I hope they have the wherewithal to take the better athlete in certain situations. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

The way people react, the Bills won 10 and 11 games the previous two years with Dareus, Watkins and Darby.

They didn't.

If the Bills can pull the same record without them, while clearing up cap AND accumulating 6 picks in the first three rounds, it's safe to say they're on the right track.

That’s another issue with the Bills coaches over the past few years. The Bills had the #4 defense under Jim Schwartz, next two years, they bring in Wrecks Ryan, he changes the defense and they regressed significantly. The Bills offense the past two years was good, had the #1 rush offense, but the new OC decides to scrap what the Bills did successfully and implemented his own offense, instead of tailoring his system to the strength of his players and the offense regressed. Good coaches play to the strengths of their players, not just implement a system and have their players either sink or swim in it.

1 minute ago, Jerry Jabber said:

That’s another issue with the Bills coaches over the past few years. The Bills had the #4 defense under Jim Schwartz, next two years, they bring in Wrecks Ryan, he changes the defense and they regressed significantly. The Bills offense the past two years was good, had the #1 rush offense, but the new OC decides to scrap what the Bills did successfully and implemented his own offense, instead of tailoring his system to the strength of his players and the offense regressed. Good coaches play to the strengths of their players, not just implement a system and have their players either sink or swim in it.

Let me know exactly how many coaches do that. List them below. Then cross-reference how many years those coaches have actually BEEN with a team.

5 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

so you can see in to the future, expecting the same. that's some foresight you have there.

Nah, just going off of what I’ve seen from the Bills over the past 17 years. It’s the definition of insanity, doing the same things over and over but expecting different results each time. 

Just now, Jerry Jabber said:

Nah, just going off of what I’ve seen from the Bills over the past 17 years. It’s the definition of insanity, doing the same things over and over but expecting different results each time. 

You know what's the same thing the Bills have done in the past 17 years?

Replace coaches every two or three seasons.

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

lol sure. It's something people say. How about.. he blew it. Nope, that's pretty hackneyed. You win. :lol:

Glad you acknowledge that.  Don't throw out such stuff with no evidence.  Fine to have opinions but when the team comes back and wins a game they had to have it does not equate to losing a team.

Just now, joesixpack said:

You know what's the same thing the Bills have done in the past 17 years?

Replace coaches every two or three seasons.

Maybe if the Bills had a GM who has a plan to build the team to win the division, then it would be a different story. How many of the previous GM’s just drafted the best player available instead of having a specific plan like build a good pass protecting O-line, draft a QB instead of taking other teams backups, and build a great defensive front 7. Even Bill Polian said the same things about building your team to win the division. 

Just now, Jerry Jabber said:

Maybe if the Bills had a GM who has a plan to build the team to win the division, then it would be a different story. How many of the previous GM’s just drafted the best player available instead of having a specific plan like build a good pass protecting O-line, draft a QB instead of taking other teams backups, and build a great defensive front 7. Even Bill Polian said the same things about building your team to win the division. 

they do.

His name's brandon beane.

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Glad you acknowledge that.  Don't throw out such stuff with no evidence.  Fine to have opinions but when the team comes back and wins a game they had to have it does not equate to losing a team.

Evidence? Go back and read the thread, I'm not repeating myself.

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is what makes Belichick so great. He takes whatever players he has and finds ways to get every ounce of potential out of them.

Think about it: Chris Hogan and Danny Amendola cannot be covered by ANY NFL CBs. They are uncoverable and unstoppable. wide open every play.

Belichick went from a defensive minded coach to a throw it every down coach with a decent but mediocre defense and bad OL. He has won with a young Brady as a game manager with a great defense. He has won with a super powerful offense and okay defense, and he has won with a bad defense and all offense.

He knows football inside and out, and will use a scheme that suits his talent. We are seeing that this is very rare, as most coaches know one system and will force it on whoever they have because they don't know the game well enough to adapt.

BB has an iron clad system that does not put up with any dissent and the prima donna's that want more money than HE  thinks is reasonable , they are gone. He can do that because of his record. Remember McDaniels was his protege . Maybe he was trying to be like BB without the gun's and the control. No one in the Pat's fiefdom does anything without BB'a approval. McD/Beane can be similar to the New England situation with time and talent. By this i mean their own talent. 

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

This is silly. 

McDaniels had a massive ego when he took the HC job in Denver. I read the book "Slow Getting Up" by Nate Jackson, a former WR/special teams guy who played in Denver while McDaniels coached there. He stated that McDaniels was arrogant, cold and disconnected from his players and talked out of both sides of his mouth. Generally just a cocky SOB who felt his schemes could create winners anywhere. 

McDermott is a humble guy who has made it one of his top priorities to create strong team chemistry and a family-like atmosphere. You've heard it from some of the players this season. It's one of the closest teams they've been on. And that's because McDermott and Beane have a pretty specific set of traits they want in their players. 

I was very surprised when McDermott made the switch to Peterman because from day one he's struck me as a guy with a very detailed plan and a "stay the course/weather the storm" mentality where he typically wouldn't make major changes mid-season. 

It is interesting, though, that Dennison wasn't his first or even second choice. I feel like he hired Dennison because of his experience and I think it was a smart move for McDermott to round out his staff with experienced coaches he could lean on and learn from. 

What I hope McDermott isn't is a coach that's too stubborn and/or loyal to his assistants to make changes after the season. If he's true to what he says about constantly evaluating all aspects of the team and how each position needs to be earned, then that should apply to coaches as well. And at this point I would say Dennison hasn't done well enough as a playcaller to keep McDermott from giving serious consideration to making a change after the season. 

But he's not like McDaniels at all. They turned over this roster primarily to open up cap space so they have the money to go after the types of players they want. Some of it has been about buying into the process but no coach can expect every single player to be 100% on board with their vision. There will always be guys that question the process and that's fine. Coaches need to be smart enough to know that they won't have complete buy-in from everyone. But if the talent outweighs the lack of buy-in (and depending how much they lack that commitment to the process) he's gotta be smart enough to keep players like that. 

I've said this before. I hope this regime doesn't limit themselves to drafting/signing nothing but choir boys for this team. If they have two players on the board that they both like and one has superior athletic talent and a bit of an attitude problem vs. a guy who is a solid but not spectacular player with high character, I hope they have the wherewithal to take the better athlete in certain situations. 

I'm really hoping both of your bolded statements come to pass. I'm less optimistic but we'll see. Great post. 

5 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

When Josh McDaniels was the HC in Denver, he gutted the roster, traded away players that were either problem makers or did not agree with his style of coaching, as well as bench players for what he deemed “disciplinary actions.” So far, we’ve seen McDermott trade away players that he feels didn’t fit his scheme, trade away Dareus and replaced Shaq Lawson as the starting DE (seems Lawson is not buying into the process). Seems like McDermott is falling in lines of McDaniels when he was the HC in Denver. Will McDermott’s transformation of the Bills fail like McDaniels did in Denver? So far, we’ve seen the offense regress from the past two seasons and the defense had a very rough three game stretch. 

No...McDaniels was a complete and utter AHole to any and everyone according to people around the team

2 hours ago, LA Grant said:

I'm really hoping both of your bolded statements come to pass. I'm less optimistic but we'll see. Great post. 

The problem is that talent trumps experience 95% of the time in life in virtually anything---at least anything where your life isn't on the line if you fail the first time...

I'd much prefer a young bright offensive mind who might be a year or two early to be an OC and let him grow into the job than another retread who is here because of experience, not because he is actually talented at what he does.

Edited by matter2003